Top 10 Mario RPG's

Re: Top 9 Mario RPG's

I've played it, I just don't own it (in my defense, I really want it)

Tiz Arrior said:
Dinomic Duo said:
Because I don't own the game, I can't rate it high
Don't rate it at all, then.
yeah that's what happened with me and ttyd and why it's off my list this time around

Dinomic Duo said:
(in my defense, I really want it)
this, but I don't even have a gamecube ((I could go out my way to emulate it but I'm too lazy))

Dinomic Duo said:
Not owning isn't really a reason to rate a game lowly.

If you haven't at least beaten the game (or any others), you're better off not rating those.

Tiz Arrior said:
Dinomic Duo said:
Not owning isn't really a reason to rate a game lowly.

If you haven't at least beaten the game (or any others), you're better off not rating those.

or at least like

play like 10 hours into it or something

I played over 10 hours into Superstar Saga twice, and I spent a ton of time in SMRPG's first dungeon, but I rented TTYD from the library (admittedly, I would've played much more if I had a way to save).

Dinomic Duo said:
President Madagascar said:
Dinomic Duo said:
1. Sticker Star
2. BiS
3. PiT
4. SPM
5. DT
6. PM
7. Superstar Saga
8. SMRPG: blah blah blah (never really got interested in this game)
9. TTYD (this is what it gets for letting me play it but not own it)

Sorry I cannot leave this list uncommented

Dinomic Duo said:
1. Sticker Star
9. TTYD

how is this physically possible
Because I don't own the game, I can't rate it high

And Sticker Star has amazing music, innovative gameplay, and it dares to leave Luigi in the dust despite the coming year of Luigi.

> innovative gameplay
> Sticker Star

Dinomic Duo said:
And Sticker Star has amazing music, innovative gameplay, and it dares to leave Luigi in the dust despite the coming year of Luigi.
I can agree on music, and the gameplay is certainly different but how the hell is shafting Luigi a good thing? Especially after he had such an amazing role in the previous game...?

I'd say things get in the way of Luigi rather than Luigi getting in the way of things.

Missingno. said:
> innovative gameplay
> Sticker Star
You mean

>innovative gameplay
>Mario games in general, especially the platformers

Well I'd say platformers in general haven't really inovated in years. There have been plenty of fun and enjoyable ones to be sure but the genre itself I'd argue has more or less peaked in terms of major contributions to video games.

Here's my rankings.

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Paper Mario
3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
4. Partners In Time
5. Superstar Saga
6. Dream Team
7. Super Paper Mario
8. Bowser's Inside Story
9. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Here's a thought: how the ---- does Sticker Star DO NOT have innovative gameplay? Yeah sure, the settings and story and dialouge are run-of-the-mill trite but Sticker Star, alongside Super Paper Mario, were the Paper Mario games that actually DID innovated in terms of gameplay. Sticker Star most certainly innovated: it uses stickers instead of your typical jump and hammer options and you level up by collecting stronger weapons instead of gaining experience points which, as far as I'm concerned, is a completely new thing in Mario RPGs.

It's an entirely different argument whether Sticker Star has executed the said innovation well, that's where hairs are split.

Back