Mario pictures

EP4oR6vX4AEHW0T

And now for an oddity I talked about on Discord:

around in 2015, Nintendo for some reason decided to silently update Yoshi's design, changing some features. This updated design didn't even end up in 3D models, so far. And after all, you can see by looking at the changes appllied why they didn't bother implementing it yet:

PREVIOUS

Yoshiart.png

NEW
Yoshialt.png

PREVIOUS

Yoshi_colouring_book1.png

NEW
Yoshiapplealt.svg

What are the features of this new design? Here are the ones I found in all their marginality:
  1. more defined nostrils
  2. actual eyelids instead of that brow thing
  3. more prominent protrusion behind the eyes
  4. smaller white part on the cheeks
  5. the crest spikes are nearer one another and all point downward
And why even bother with these features? Well, let's have a look at the original Yoshi and...
Yoshi_-_Nintendo_Character_Manual.png

SMW_Art_-_Yoshi.png

Yup, the "new" features come from the original design!
As if that wasn't enough, the brand new artwork featuring this updated design was often involved in a SNES posture renaissance:
Yoshi_%28Hungry%29_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif

Yoshi_2017_CSR.png

Csrmarioyoshi.png

But it was the Mario Kart LINE stickers that definitely clarified what this design is aimed at, when compared to Super Mario Kart art:

SUPER MARIO KART
SMK_Yoshi_Artwork.png

MARIO KART LINE STICKERS

MK8-Line-Yoshi-Singing.gif

SUPER MARIO KART

SMKYoshiSpin.png

MARIO KART LINE STICKERS

MK8-Line-Yoshi-Banana.gif

basically, the new design is so far used exclusively in artwork to go back a little to the SNES design feeling while still keeping the modern crest, shell (since it's now confirmed to be a shelled turtle) and, most importantly, hands.
Or not?
MarioGroup2DArt2020.png

SNES-era
SMSQPB6_Finding.png

Man, if they reintroduce dino-hands-and-posture Yoshi I'll almost end up flutter jumping out of contentness, I soooo liked that!
SMFPB2_Pages_1_2.png

SMWGPB4_Cover.png

it just confirms to me that modern yoshi's design is an abject failure

I prefer his modern design personally.

Kotabe_Kuppa_Illustrations.gif
Bowser's_New_Year's_resolutions_poll_banner.jpg
I found the second one recently.

You know what's a nice touch I like?

Bowser.jpg

Paper Bowser is still orange like Bowser was during his N64 days, and when the 2 fuse together to become ShinyRoboBowser:

paper-jam-armor-bowser.png

The armor parts are also orange

i was on models resource and found this gobblegut statue model from mk8dx, appearing in dragon palace i think
33814.png

its pretty interesting cause it has a slightly more realistically proportioned chunkier body and limbs instead of just being spaghetti. i like that!

i was on models resource and found this gobblegut statue model from mk8dx, appearing in dragon palace i think
33814.png

its pretty interesting cause it has a slightly more realistically proportioned chunkier body and limbs instead of just being spaghetti. i like that!
I actually like that a lot too, even more than the original! It's a "short & chunky" Chinese dragon version of Gobblegut and it turned out very well in my opinion!

Reactions: zel
this is so invaluable for making a 3D model out of them really thanks for sharing!

I still think the most jarring thing about Super Mario Bros. 3 is the Tanooki Mario that's flying. He looks so different from the "normal" Mario, like they just copy-pasted the original art and didn't really adapt it?

Those are better drawn then what actually appeared in the show itself.

Well animation does that.

even then some of the animation stills are terrible.

Last edited:
Back