Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty unpopular lol.

I enjoy Princess Peach's Castle for the most part. The Bandai Bills aren't really that much of an issue since they're not really at all frequent

Rainbow Cruise is alright, but I wouldn't play on it intentionally. Not a big fan of autoscrollers, plus the translation back to the ship is way too fast.

I absolutely despise Kingdom, but Kingdom II isn't too bad. The pits are a bit annoying, but never gave me any trouble.

Peach's Castle is awesome, and those who dislike it are competitive whores. ;o

I also think Mushroom Kingdom 1 is a very awesome and chaotic stage in Giant Melee 2.0 ratio.

Rainbow Cruise is also awesome and I like to sometimes brawl my opponents to the bitter end on the top, transitioning to the ship, and we both turn into stars.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Peach's Castle is awesome, and those who dislike it are competitive whores. ;o

I also think Mushroom Kingdom 1 is a very awesome and chaotic stage in Giant Melee 2.0 ratio.

Rainbow Cruise is also awesome and I like to sometimes brawl my opponents to the bitter end on the top, transitioning to the ship, and we both turn into stars.

Does that mean you dislike Mushroom Kingdom II?

Mushroom Kingdom II is awesome, because giant Level 9's love SDing on that stage, especially Donkey Kong. What's funny is that if he ledge dodge rolls, he kills himself because the rolling distance carries him to the blast zone.

Baby Luigi said:
Mushroom Kingdom II is awesome, because giant Level 9's love SDing on that stage, especially Donkey Kong. What's funny is that if he ledge dodge rolls, he kills himself because the rolling distance carries him to the blast zone.

Whenever I play Classic Mode and face Giant Luigi, at least 90% of the time he will walk off the upper right ledge, do his n-air on one of my CPU allies and SD.

i play project m to be even less competitive than normal

I don't think any Mario RPG/Paper character should be in Smash over real Mario characters that appear in the main series.

The only non-RPG Mario character left that I'd want to see is Waluigi. Toad is already a move (and I personally dislike him), Captain Toad can't jump, and I used to be indifferent about Daisy until her obsessive fanbase drove me to dislike her.

As for Waluigi I've wanted him ever since I found out Wario was in Brawl. Aside from him I'd want Paper Mario and Fawful.

(also tbh all the Paper Mario hacks are terrible. Paper Mario is composed of 2D sprites but the hacks are all flattened 3D models)

Kirby's Crazy Appetite being horrible is NOT an unpopular opinion.

Well you can't really say that when Cruel Smash exists.

I really don't care about competitive play, I focus on fun, lots of items, the crazy stages and such - the luck factor is a big part of the experience for me.

Also, I don't like third-party characters, I feel like this is a franchise for Nintendo characters only, and they should focus on adding and developing their IPs' characters more, instead of bringing in guests.

Finally, I like the Subspace Emissary, it left a lot of intrigue on me about the world and characters, a new story mode for a future installment would be awesome IMO x__x

FrozenDragon150 said:
I really don't care about competitive play, I focus on fun, lots of items, the crazy stages and such - the luck factor is a big part of the experience for me.

Also, I don't like third-party characters, I feel like this is a franchise for Nintendo characters only, and they should focus on adding and developing their IPs' characters more, instead of bringing in guests.

Finally, I like the Subspace Emissary, it left a lot of intrigue on me about the world and characters, a new story mode for a future installment would be awesome IMO x__x
I agree with most of this. I didn't mind Sonic being in though, since he has a history of rivalry with Mario, and has crossed over with Mario in the (albeit mediocre) Olympics series. Megaman and Pacman are OK, the rest I don't really care for. Subspace was awesome, the only thing I'd change was having dialogue and a little more content from the actual franchises involved, perhaps taking the opportunity to involve lesser-known characters like Dimentio.

And yeah, to hell with competitive Smash. I prefer to have fun rather than calculate precise equations to figure stats and which characters are viable against others. Props to everyone who keeps up with all that, I don't. :luigi:

Air Conditioner said:
FrozenDragon150 said:

And yeah, to hell with competitive Smash. I prefer to have fun rather than calculate precise equations to figure stats and which characters are viable against others. Props to everyone who keeps up with all that, I don't. :luigi:
Phrases like "I prefer to have fun" always rub me the wrong. It always seems to apply that there's a standard definition of what "fun" is and that competitive can't be fun. Some people find items stupid and annoying so one on one fights are more "fun". What's fun varies from person to person,

Also, lol as "precise equations". Don't rag on competitive and then spew nonsense like this.

FrozenDragon150 said:
Regarding this, I personally really like it because with the inclusion of characters like Cloud, Mega Man, and PAC-MAN, it feels like less of a celebration of Nintendo and more of a celebration of gaming, which I personally like.

GalacticPetey said:
Phrases like "I prefer to have fun" always rub me the wrong. It always seems to apply that there's a standard definition of what "fun" is and that competitive can't be fun. Some people find items stupid and annoying so one on one fights are more "fun". What's fun varies from person to person,
I suppose a more proper phrase would be "simple fun"? I know people find fun in different things, what I mean is, having fun without the complexities that come with higher-level competitive play, something like that. The sort of play everyone can have regardless of skill level.

Tsareena said:
Regarding this, I personally really like it because with the inclusion of characters like Cloud, Mega Man, and PAC-MAN, it feels like less of a celebration of Nintendo and more of a celebration of gaming, which I personally like.
Ah, that's also why I give "mascots" (regardless of whether they've fallen into misuse v_v) characters like Sonic and Megaman some leeway I don't give the others, being major gaming/entertainment icons.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of Smasher I am.

I strive to score the most points possible in 8 player Free-For-All Smash with crazy stages and a bunch of items. I take those kinds of matches semi-seriously and I play to the best of my abilities. I have marks of a competitive gamer where I learn some neat competitive mechanics to better my points performance but I play with the least competitive settings.

I like reading about advanced mechanics used in tournaments and I love having wacky 8 player explosive Smash parties.

I'm trying to understand why you hate it so much, more than "let's exploit the AI because they're exaggeratedly OP and awful to win crap in this mode" mode.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm trying to understand why you hate it so much, more than "let's exploit the AI because they're exaggeratedly OP and awful to win crap in this mode" mode.

Because you have to beat the event in less than 2 minutes on The Great Cave Offensive (which I really dislike playing on, and touching the lava is an instant failure). At first, you have only three Dedede's chasing you which isn't that bad, but as the time progresses there will be an additional four chasing after you which makes it really difficult to avoid everyone, especially when there's food near any of them. And one way or another, they will hit you at least twice.

To top it off, you start with 140%, and the food given to you heal mostly only about 3% or 6%, and the piece of chicken that heals 15% is very rare.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
Baby Luigi said:

Because you have to beat the event in less than 2 minutes on The Great Cave Offensive (which I really dislike playing on, and touching the lava is an instant failure). At first, you have only three Dedede's chasing you which isn't that bad, but as the time progresses there will be an additional four chasing after you which makes it really difficult to avoid everyone, especially when there's food near any of them. And one way or another, they will hit you at least twice.

To top it off, you start with 140%, and the food given to you heal mostly only about 3% or 6%, and the piece of chicken that heals 15% is very rare.

To add to this, the event match seems to play at a faster speed than normal, which can affect your reaction time. You definitely need to exploit Kirby's Inhale ability, as it boosts how much damage that Kirby can heal when eating food.

I know that event is ludicrously hard, but there's still some strategy to beating it. You have to plan out your routes and think ahead what you'll do next. And make sure you get King Dedede's ability while you're at it, because it helps out tons. And if you hate the event so much, abuse the pause screen functionality, because that event deserves cheesing in that manner as well.

Compared to Cruel Smash, where you have to resort to spamming certain moves or certain techniques (like grabbing ledges over and over and over) to exploit stupid AI to actually get any KO's, if you're lucky, thanks to your lower handicap and the high amount of CPU opponents (like, 7 on the same team at once and no friendly fire and items on); do anything else and you're already dead.

Back