Smash Bros. Character/Roster Merit

What is your opinion on Kersti's merit?

Lumastar said:
What is your opinion on Kersti's merit?

I don't think I even need to go into a full thing on it whatsoever. She has no chance whatsoever.

1. If Paper Mario ever gets represented in the Roster, it'd be Paper Mario himself. (Though perhaps Kersti could be part of his moveset)

2. Sticker Star is easily the least popular of the Paper Mario games. Kersti as an Inclusion would piss many fans off. Cause even just one of the Partners from the first 2 Paper Mario games would go over much better

and 3. As much as I hate the argument of "This character has no moveset!" I imagine a full Smash Moveset would be quite difficult to imagine even for someone like Sakurai to give a solid one to what accounts to just a floating paper crown with no limbs whatsoever.

OKAY WELL YESTERDAY'S DIRECT COMPLETELY CHANGES THIS

I will now be offering to do stuff for what I think about Potential DLC characters! Like I said before, I will offer to do re-evalutations of characters I did merit thoughts on from before we knew the initial full roster.

I will forgo Smash 5 stuff as that's not really something to talk about now that it's very much possible to have plenty of characters coming in Smash 4 through DLC.

So if there's any character you want me to give my thoughts on their chances and/or merit whether I did them already or not. Please say so! ^^

How this will be done now is more short, blunt, and to the point. There will be less of the paragraphs I was doing before for each and every character and just give out. How much I'd want the character, as well as how much I think their actual chance is at the moment at being DLC.

Wolf

Type of Character: Returning Veteran (Brawl)
Franchise: Star Fox

My Level of Want

Very High. I was one of those No cuts no matter what for Brawl. Though I suppose I was ok with Ivysaur and Squirtle being let go. But stuff like most of the others like Lucas and Wolf were unacceptable. Thankfully Lucas is back so Wolf can too eventually. And Wolf's a pretty cool character himself.

Estimated Chance

I'd pretty much say he's almost a guarantee. Now that DLC is a thing, many veterans such as him are among the top to come back. Star Fox Wii U is on the way as well. And Wolf's DLC could be perfect cross-promotion with that. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's actually already planning on getting him back as the next character after Lucas. They're just using the Ballot somewhat to make sure enough people want Wolf back and he'll be the next Character released after Lucas (Mewtwo is released this month, Lucas in June… Wolf in August?)

King K. Rool

Type of Character: Newcomer
Franchise: Donkey Kong

My Level of Want

Pretty High. I think he'd fit the most as a 3rd Donkey Kong rep and another villain rep for those who clamor for it would be very happy

Estimated Chance

I'd say moderate to low-mid right now. King K. Rool is obviously going to require a unique moveset for him. And one concern I have for DLC is the developers may not be as gung ho about a character with a completely unique moveset. Mewtwo technically a bit of an exception but even then they based it off his Melee moveset. I think if any Donkey Kong character is getting in, they're putting in Dixie Kong just so they could simply just clone her off Diddy Kong (Boy, the competitive may have a fit if Dixie is as annoyingly viable as Diddy is at the moment). But K. Rool is a popular choice still and they could still put him under consideration. Until we know what characters are being chosen really anything could happen. I'm just assuming the Developers would rather have easier characters to make as opposed to full-fledged unique Newcomers

Issac

Franchise: Golden Sun

My Level of Want

Eh… He's one of those characters I'm not that into but would still get him to try him out and everything. Wouldn't be terribly excited but I'd be happy for his fans.

Estimated Chance

I'd say very low. Like I said when I covered him he's not really a mainstream name that would excite everybody. He missed his chance in Brawl and Golden Sun just failed to get a huge presence as other Cult Classic games like Earthbound/MOTHER and Xenoblade did. You're going to get a lot more "Who?"'s then any excitement for him if he got in. But there's no ruling out anyway. The Ballot may not just be some kind of Popularity contest. Not all the highest voted ones will make it in. And maybe Sakurai and/or his team may like some of the more obscure choices (Compared to most of the franchises already in the game). Including Issac. But in part to being obscure, requiring a unique moveset, he just isn't among the most likely choices. Shulk and Robin already kinda have the Magic and/or sword thing covered regardless.

Ridley

Franchise: Metroid

My Level of Want

Remains high even as not as a Metroid fan. But as I say in Chance. I don't think it's happening.

Estimated Chance

Man, imagine if after all that speculation and controversy around Ridley during the Speculation season before Smash 4 released. And then Ridley ends up as DLC later on anyway? It'd be the fitting end to such a roller coaster for this character whether you're for or against him. Unfortunately however, I don't see this as a possibility. Due to not only thinking that if he was going to be playable he would of been in the game when it released because surely Nintendo and Sakurai already know the demand for Ridley. But they just won't do it. And even Sakurai had to make another word on Ridley that may pretty much say as long as he's in charge, Ridley's not going to be as playable. So I'd say his chances are near the bottom even with his massive popularity. Sorry, Ridley fans. At least you have the Project M mod?

Waluigi & Takumaru & Other Smash 4 Assist Trophies

Type of Characters: Promoted Assist Trophies (from in-game)

Cutting this one short because until there's even the possibility. I don't think Nintendo would promote Assist Trophies to Playable in the same exact game they were in as Assist Trophies originally. That just feels like a common sense that they'd go by. As much as I'd love Waluigi, and even be curious in Takumaru. I just don't see it happening. The biggest reason Little Mac got his promotion from between Brawl and Smash 4 is he actually had a game release in that time. So even the one Assist Trophy promotion had to get help from a new game. Unless a main Mario game that stars or has Waluigi as a Playable character or Takumaru gets a reboot (Though to be fair Sakurai did say they considered Takumaru during development of Smash 4) then I don't think Smash 4 DLC is in the cards

Cranky Kong

My Level of Want

Quite low. He's not the worst character ever but I would raise my eyebrows like "…Really?" if he actually was chosen.

Estimated Chance

Completely outclassed by both Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. He certainly has a better chance then the next Kong in this post. But he's not coming to Smash anytime soon.

Lanky Kong

HE HAS NO STYLE, HE HAS NO GRACE
THIS KONG is never coming to Smash

And I don't care if that didn't rhyme :P

Goku & Shrek & Sakurai (real person) & Other non-Video Game characters

Type of Characters: 4th Party

Cutting this short because anyone not originally a video game is pretty much disqualified from the start. The Ballot even says "VIDEO GAME CHARACTER". Anime like Goku or Naruto, Cartoons like Shrek or Mickey Mouse, and real People like Sakurai or Reggie just have an absolute negative chance even lower then the characters that are pretty much at 0

Ephraim

Franchise: Fire Emblem

My Level of Want

My want for new Fire Emblem characters will be always "Eh". I'm not much into the franchise though I certainly don't dislike it. Just not quite my cup of tea. Though I believe he's from the one I actually got to play due to being one of the Ambassador games for my 3DS. Didn't play it much but he was there.

Estimated Chance

I'm just going to put it bluntly: He has no chance. He has more likely competitors in either other characters from Awakening, new characters from Fire Emblem If, and even Roy. When you have less chances then Fire Emblem's Roy. Who's all but basically taken by the Koopaling Roy (Koopaling Roy even has "Roy's Our Boy!" as his crowd chant.) then I think you're doomed.

I agree on Cranky's placement, but give him some more credit.

He has been in every Donkey Kong Country game, unlike any other Kong. He is also the original Donkey Kong, so without him there would be no Nintendo today.

I would to see you take on Snake, Banjo and Tails.

I'd be interested in seeing what you think about Dixie Kong and Inkling.

Magikrazy said:
I agree on Cranky's placement, but give him some more credit.

He has been in every Donkey Kong Country game, unlike any other Kong. He is also the original Donkey Kong, so without him there would be no Nintendo today.

That "fact" isn't quite widespread. And it's never really has been all that insisted consistently enough that it's true. It's a detail most may not even remember and I would bet you more people still believe Donkey Kong is the same character throughout just because he's called Donkey Kong. I don't quite think we can say Cranky deserves as much credit with gaming as much as Mario or Pac-Man when his supposedly younger descendent is getting all the credit. (Even more confusing if you've played the Mario Vs. DK games where te DK in that DKC style is kidnapping Pauline. If Cranky is the old DK, then that supposedly means DK is now a protagonist character because he's a different Kong in the DKC games. But the Mario Vs. DK games kinda take that away as he does exactly what Cranky did). If it's canon, Nintendo hasn't done quite enough to show that. Too many people still believe DKC Donkey Kong and Classic Donkey Kong are the same character for Cranky to get that honor.

Snake

Type of Character: Returning Veteran (Brawl) + 3rd Party
Franchise: Metal Gear

My Level of Want

Very High. In fact I'd say he's my most missed out of the Cuts from Brawl. But I've moved on by now. And know he's likely never coming back

Estimated Chance

Unfortunately, quite low. If Snake was going to return I think he would have already just like Sonic did. There's just too many complications involved for Snake to have any shot at returning. Konami's on a rut right now possibly worse then Capcom at this moment Kojima seems to have flown the coop. Whatever is going on, Metal Gear's future is looking bleak

Banjo & Kazooie

Type of Character: 3rd Party Newcomer
Franchise: Banjo & Kazooie

My Level of Want

I haven't played much of it but I'd actually really like this if this is even possible. It's quite obvious Banjo's best days were in the N64 days. So much so Banjo was actually amongst a list of characters suggested for SSB64. Now I'm not saying that would of completely changed future events. As the split could of prevented Banjo from returning in Melee and/or Brawl but imagine if 3rd Party characters were eligible from the very beginning of this franchise.

Estimated Chance

Even with that Xbox tweet in mind there's still some degree of obstacles in the way. No matter how you look at it, Banjo being in Smash would still be advertising for a competitor. And as unfair as it is for business to get in the way of many people's dream character from getting in. It's the sad truth. I think the tweet definitely rose it slowly but at the moment is a bit too optimistic to say it will go anywhere. Everyone wants their franchise character in Smash because they know how popular and how much these games raise Publicity.And right now it'd be far easier for Nintendo to grab a character who's still making games on the Wii U and/or 3DS then with a competitor. Even if the character once had games that are pretty much synonymous with a Nintendo console.

Tails

Type of Character: 3rd Party Newcomer
Franchise: Sonic the Hedgehog

My Level of Want

Highest it could possibly be. Of course it is, it's who I voted for! Tails is my favorite Sonic character. And I feel he's nearly on the same level of Luigi that defines Video Game sidekicks. Having a doubles match of Mario and Luigi Vs. Sonic and Tails would be awesome

Estimated Chance

Admittedly though I'm not that confident it will happen though I'llnjust it's low. Not very low, but just low. It may really depend just how many characters we'll be getting. I think we'll get a couple of Nintendo specific characters first before any 3rd Parties. But the thing is about DLC is that some aforementioned "rules" can be broken since for all intents and purposes DLC is optional. And I think the possibility of a 3rd Party only having one rep is breakable especially in regards to Sonic because Sonic is the only 3rd Party to be in half the games plus the franchise remains as popular as ever. And I personally believe Tails is the ideal best choice for the next Sonic rep. With Eggman probably be a bit more tricky (Albeit if he worked like a much heavier Bowser Jr. it could work somewhat), Knuckles just slightly not as Iconic, and Shadow's an Assist Trophy

Plus I think it could be a bit easier on the developers because they can just do a combination of Luigifying and Falcofying Sonic to create tails. As in giving Tails different recovery capabilities from Sonic as well as having one or two moves that are the same move just slightly different (Spin Dash and/or Homing Attack). I feel the developers would want more charactersvthat are both popular and relatively easy to make cause they have a few similar attributes to characters already in the roster. I think an ideal semi-clone tails would be a lighter, slightly slower (Say maybe faster then Little Mac but at about the same or slightly less then Captain Falcon), less KO power in exchange for better recovery and edgeguarding capabilities. You could even clone the Final Smash as there is such thing as a Super Tails (It just hasn't appeared in like forever)

I just want to say that I am not that sure of it ever happening. But if 3rd Party characters are possible. I think he ranks amongst the Top 5 possibilities. Perhaps only beaten by Rayman at the moment. Cause to put it simply the Sonic series is already in the game, it's been in more then one Smash game now and thus counts as a veteran franchise even if it's 3rd Party. Honestly, I'll be fine either way if Tails makes it or not. I still have Sonic, having Tails there would just be like an extra cake dessert along with the meat that's most important to me in the roster. And he could be a poosible just under the radar choice to show up

Dixie Kong

My Level of Want

Definitely not as much as King K. Rool. Dixie would likely be a semi-clone of Diddy. And I find Diddy kinda obnoxious to fight so I may be a bit hesitant about having a 2nd helpful of that. Though like I said in K. Rool's imagine how competitive Smash players may feel about a 2nd Diddy esque character. Oh brother...

Estimated Chance

Probably the most likely choice for Donkey Kong DLC simply thanks to Tropical Freeze, easy to just clone off Diddy, and she's actually fairly popular since she debuted in what's probably the most popular out of the original DKC trilogy games. Wouldn't be surprised to see her somewhere down the line. As much as I might roll my eyes a bit if we do.

Inkling

Franchise: Splatoon

Level of Want

I think is kind of a TBA kind of thing. Cause of course this game isn't out yet. A paint-based moveset could be interesting though it'd be a shame if there was no move that least temporarily left paint on a character you hit. Kinda ruins the fun of a paint based character if you can't use that paint to color and humilate your foes.

Estimated Chance

Again this is TBD. We should base all Smash Bros. future until after Splatoon is released. Let us see if it becomes a success. Don't include a character and thus assume the game will make the Inklings on the level as one of Nintendo's greatest all-stars. Nintendo already made a mistake like that with Fire Emblem Roy. Yes he now has a cult following thanks to Melee. But in the actual game he's in, he's considered by the FE fanbase to one of the worst lords in the history of the series. We don't want to have a mistake like that again.

Chorus Kids/Any type of Rhythm Heaven representative

Hm, maybe. That Gematsu leak is rumored to have been outdated rather then just disproven by the Robin reveal. As Chrom cameos alongside Robin. And Lucas was in fact dropped at first (But is now coming back). However the reason the Chorus Kids may have not made it was because they worked like the Ice Climbers a bit and thus the 3DS couldn't process them correctly. Meaning they could be stuck in the same unfortunate limbo that the need for the 3DS version and the Wii U version to be 1:1 in terms of Characters. Maybe we'll see some sort of rep in the future. But they may give priority to wanted returning veterans as well as Ballot suggested characters

I would like to see how much this ballot has changed Paper Mario, Fawful and other Mario RPG character's chances, now that Sakurai is considering what the fans want.

Not much.

I think I'll just do Paper Mario. As it stands, no one else has a legit chance at it from Mario RPGs

Paper Mario

Franchise: Paper Mario

My Level of Want

In the positive. Paper Mario would be the chance to have a character completely unique even though they're an alternate version of someone already in the Roster. Being about as light as Mr. Game and Watch, having a hammer that by now is a staple of Mario RPGs as a whole, and possibly even Partners. I'd certainly love to have him to smack around Dr. Mario a bit and show how an alternate version should be done.

Estimated Chance

Could be relatively decent. If anything from the Mario RPGs are going to be playable in Smash. Paper Mario is your best bet. It's clearly the most popular of the RPG games for being much more accessible compared to Mario & Luigi and especially Super Mario RPG. And I also think Paper Mario has the best shot out of any alternate version of Veterans. I think he's a potential under the radar choice. Though FTG, probably a warning that if he got in. He'd probably have his appearence and even at least some degree of moves based on Sticker Star due to that being the most recent game and i understand how much you despise that game. But Nintendo will do that just as they gave Samus the Other M armor as well as added a stage, Ridley's appearence, and more from the controversial entry of the Metroid series just for recency. So prepare for that if Paper Mario ever happens.

Not even going deep into that one. We have our Smash Bros. rep that's simultaneously repping something also very popular through the Mii Fighters. They represent the new incarnation of the Multi-Man team which has been in every game of the series in different forms. It's the best way of having a Smash Rep without having to do something weird like make Master Hand playable outside of Action Replay. And Tabuu was just a boss in one game of the series and he and the Subspace Emissary as a whole isn't well recieved.

Gamefreak75 said:
Also, since I know neither of them have any chance of being in, can you do either Magolor of Prince Fluff? Whichever one you have more knowledge of is probably the best choice.

why did you ignore me :'(

Oh sorry about that Gamefreak ^^'

I'll do both of them now under the current style to make up for it.

Magolor

Franchise: Kirby

My Level of Want

It'd be pretty nice having an actual evil Kirby villain in Smash. Dedede's in but he's not evil in the traditional sense. Kirby just annoys him. I wouldn't mind if he came in as DLC

Estimated Chance

Unfortunately I think his chances are pretty low. And one unfortunate reason for that is Sakurai's bias to games he made for Kirby. All Return of Dreamland got outside of trophies is some music tracks. And the new Kirby stage came from Kirby Super Star or a gameboy esque stage based on Kirby Dream Land. Plus there is competition in Bandana Dee that's probably the most likely for Kirby DLC

Prince Fluff

Franchise: Kirby

My Level of Want

Ehhhh kinda low. I don't hate the game but I see no reason to rep Kirby's Epic Yarn in the roster. Maybe if the team who made it had stuck with what they were going for before it was retooled into a Kirby game. But otherwise I wouldn't be too into it. Plus he'd be OP because for some reason as yarn you can't die (Kidding of course)

Estimated Chance

Just like with Magolor, Fluff has to compete with the far more popular Bandana Dee. And thus is far and away from being chosen as DLC. I think he technically could get in before Magolor being a somewhat older character. But if we're getting any Kirby DLC at all I think it'll just be Bandanna Dee and that's it.

Back