You know, if they aren't ever going to reveal who the Mario bros parents are...

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
why not just have it where they were raised by Yoshis?

I mean they are raised by Dinosaurs! Not only is that awesome but it would fit perfectly with the bizarre world that they exist in!

That would probably be possible if it weren't for the fact that Mario and Luigi were delivered to their parents in the Yoshi's Island series.

SolarBlaze said:
That would probably be possible if it weren't for the fact that Mario and Luigi were delivered to their parents in the Yoshi's Island series.

I know, I'm speaking retroactively.

When I was just getting into Mario, I hadn't finished Yoshi's Island and didn't know it ended with them being delivered to their parents, so I thought they were raised by Yoshis. I even made a little comic about them, as adults, being reunitd with their actual parents, who were plumbers from Earth. Then I went online and discovered the one-year old Super Mario Wiki and found out the truth.

Now my headcanon is that they were born in the Brooklyn borough of Big Ape City on DK Island, but were delivered by a magical stork adoption service to a couple in the Mushroom Kingdom. Their birth mother named them "Mario" and "Luigi", and by an unfortunate coincidence, their adoptive family's last name was also "Mario", hence their full names are "Mario Mario" and "Luigi Mario".

My theory is that Mario and Luigi were born in the Mushroom Kingdom, but their family moved to Brooklyn because of the Koopa uprising.

My theory is that it's a damn video game and nothing makes sense in it so every theory is canon.

Checkm8.

stork delivers babies
stork gets kidnapped by kamek
babies fall to yoshis
yoshis and babies team up to stop kamek
babies reunited with stork
stork delivers babies
to the yoshis that rescued the stork

Aiko Heiwa said:
My theory is that it's a damn video game and nothing makes sense in it so every theory is canon.

Checkm8.
Except for Rudy's theory of Mario being from Italy, apparently.

The question is, how did the bros. acquire an Italian accent? Normally, people get their accents from their peers around them, not their parents.

Yoshi's Island is really located off the coast of Italy.

Maᴙio said:
The question is, how did the bros. acquire an Italian accent? Normally, people get their accents from their peers around them, not their parents.
They only knew their parents

Super Luigi World said:
Maᴙio said:
They only knew their parents
So, they're raised in isolation, you're saying? :/

That doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm wondering, why do Baby Mario and Baby Luigi even speak in Italian accents? They speak only English, and they're freaking babies: they're not bilingual or anything.

...Yes. That's the issue here. It's not that the babies can talk, it's that they talk with an accent.

And if anyone says they're raised by Italian parents and that's where their accents came from....I was raised by a native French speaker who speaks English in a very heavy French accent and a Chinese father who speaks English with a Chinese accent, yet I have totally no accent at all.

Baby Luigi said:
And if anyone says they're raised by Italian parents and that's where their accents came from....I was raised by a native French speaker who speaks English in a very heavy French accent and a Chinese father who speaks English with a Chinese accent, yet I have totally no accent at all.
You have a US accent

I was speaking in a US point of view, which is the norm for my area so the accent isn't noticeable with my peers, so excuse me.

Super Luigi World said:
You have a US accent
...that isn't really a thing. Almost everywhere in the US has a different accent.

From my linguistics class: when you learn a language, no matter where your parents are from, you will develop the accent of the descendents of whoever founded the population you're being reared in. So if you're being reared in New England, you have a New English accent; if you're being reared in Texas, you have a Texan accent, etc.

So regardless of what Mario and Luigi's parents' nationality(ies) are, they were obviously reared in an area where the native accent for the English-language speakers was "Italian".

"New English" isn't really a thing either...

Walkazo said:
From my linguistics class: when you learn a language, no matter where your parents are from, you will develop the accent of the descendents of whoever founded the population you're being reared in. So if you're being reared in New England, you have a New English accent; if you're being reared in Texas, you have a Texan accent, etc.

So regardless of what Mario and Luigi's parents' nationality(ies) are, they were obviously reared in an area where the native accent for the English-language speakers was "Italian".
Italian immigrant community?

Who knows? Accents and languages in the Mushroom World just seem to pop up randomly. Why does Toadsworth sound British when there's no Britain; why is O'Chunks Scottish; why do characters in Flipside and M&L:BIS somehow speak French even though France is in a third completely different realm?

Vommack said:
It is now, mofo.

Walkazo said:
Vommack said:
It is now, mofo.
There's a reason it's called a Boston accent, not a New England accent. Even within Boston, it's split into three or four different flavors. If you go west or north, most of the things people know the Boston accent for disappear outright.

Walkazo said:
Who knows? Accents and languages in the Mushroom World just seem to pop up randomly. Why does Toadsworth sound British when there's no Britain; why is O'Chunks Scottish; why do characters in Flipside and M&L:BIS somehow speak French even though France is in a third completely different realm?
Dyllis even has a German accent.

Back