Have we all had enough of "Happy" by Pharell Williams?

Are you tired of "Happy" by Pharell?

• Total voters
Aiko Heiwa said:
BVB Guy said:
Aiko Heiwa said:
I have no idea what the fuck song you're even talking about.
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof." If you haven't heard that, then you're probably living under a rock.
Or I've never heard it because most modern music is complete garbage so why even listen to it?

You do realize that "modern music" isn't a genre, right? If there's some contemporary music you don't like juuuuuuust look for some you do??? Like geeze you've got youtube right there, do some lookin'.

Aiko Heiwa said:
I've never heard it because most modern music is complete garbage so why even listen to it?
Hi, Grandma! Complaining about today's music again?

Anyway, I like Happy, but I don't think it deserved to be the number-one song for 10 weeks.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
edit: dammit, i wrote "stupid and ignorant". that was redundant
not really. i might be ignorant of the finer details of quantum physics, but that doesn't make me stupid

or maybe it does, and everyone but me knows about quantum physics. o_O

Honestly, I don't get all the fuss about this song.

Like, songs that have the lyrics talking about having sex, breaking rules, doing drugs, and depression (definitely overexhaggerating it but you get my point (hopefully)) are out and some make it to the top of the list. But a song about being happy and showing your happiness is complained about and is boring and all this stuff.

It's a catchy song, it has positive lyrics, and it's fun to hear (for me at least). If you don't like it, then whatever.

No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:
and the lyrics sucks. "Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof" like what does that even mean

limitless, no restrictions, free
a room without a roof just comes off as incomplete and flawed to me, but whatever

I just...I don't...

No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:
and the lyrics sucks. "Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof" like what does that even mean

a room without a roof just comes off as incomplete and flawed to me, but whatever
It's a metaphor.

Y-you're not supposed to, um...

take it at, uh...
face value...

Morty said:
Aiko Heiwa said:
BVB Guy said:
Aiko Heiwa said:
I have no idea what the fuck song you're even talking about.
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof." If you haven't heard that, then you're probably living under a rock.
Or I've never heard it because most modern music is complete garbage so why even listen to it?

You do realize that "modern music" isn't a genre, right? If there's some contemporary music you don't like juuuuuuust look for some you do??? Like geeze you've got youtube right there, do some lookin'.
I dislike most music in general.

Crocodile Dippy said:
BVB Guy said:
Never, EVER mention OG shit here. Them ogs are not gangsters, they need to pull up their pants and meet the original Al Capone, and stop listening to that shit like Nicki Minaj, Lil' Wayne, Yo Gotti, Birdman, Ace Hood, Kanye West, and that other garbage that plays these days.
2ZMMUEo.jpg
I have no problem with Oldschool rap(Unless it's the ICP) but anything signed to Cash Money Records is what bothers me.
Morty said:
BVB Guy said:
Morty said:
Thinking that 'Happy' by Pharell Williams being overplayed is so 3 months ago, get with the times
I know that, but it still plays a bunch. For cereal, I heard it at the mall TWICE just a few days ago. I also usually hear it when I'm at a grocery store. That song is just so old, I mean really.

well idk what to tell you other than welcome to the 20th and 21st century where songs at the top of the charts are played more often, sorry 'bout it, wait another month or two and there'll be another song you'll be moaning about

BVB Guy said:
Never, EVER mention OG shit here. Them ogs are not gangsters, they need to pull up their pants and meet the original Al Capone, and stop listening to that shit like Nicki Minaj, Lil' Wayne, Yo Gotti, Birdman, Ace Hood, Kanye West, and that other garbage that plays these days.

Is this a real comment or is this just the common catchphrase of teenagers because man this was the same shit I heard back when I was in middle school too. Aside from the incorrect and potentially racist comment, depending on your intended tone which I'm not sure of, Al Capone was not the first gangster, not the only gangster, and will not ever be the only gangster. Gangs do exist and their culture evolves along with everyone else. As for dismissing those artists as shit, while my opinion of a few of them are...quite low...a bunch of them are respectable within their genre and amongst music artists as a whole. Give 'em a shot and understand their perspective. If it's not your style, then it's not your style. You can dislike things without them being deemed complete shit, it's called living within a diverse society.
I've heard all those artists. Over auto-tune, rapping about the same nonsense: not cool. I'm not racist, I know a lot of people from different races and I befriended them. Hell, they're how I learned about most of those artists. I also refuse to say the n-word. Just because I don't like Cash Money music doesn't mean I'm racist. Also, white people can be sagging their pants and listening to Cash Money artists as well. I just don't like the O.G. thing. However, I dig Eminem, RUN-DMC, Hollywood Undead, The Lonely Island, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, The Sugarhill Gang, even people including Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy-Dog. I'm getting into rap rock and oldschool hip-hop.

the whole "you can't escape the song" argument is total bullshit.

i disagree, if you hear any song too much you're inevitably going to dislike it. pretty much every radio station over here seemingly plays happy about once every day, and, as somebody who likes to listen to the radio in general, it does become quite annoying when you hear a song that often.

Hilary Briss said:
the whole "you can't escape the song" argument is total bull*bleep*.

i disagree, if you hear any song too much you're inevitably going to dislike it
Pretty much why I strongly dislike that Imagine song.

Maᴙio said:
Hilary Briss said:
the whole "you can't escape the song" argument is total bull*bleep*.

i disagree, if you hear any song too much you're inevitably going to dislike it
Pretty much why I strongly dislike that Imagine song.

...when the hell has that ever been on the radio in the past 15 years? at least on my local stations, they only stick to the pre-breakup stuff.

Blissey said:
...when the hell has that ever been on the radio in the past 15 years? at least on my local stations, they only stick to the pre-breakup stuff.

We're not really exposed to radio stations, like, at all. My sister heard it in several movies or so at once and claimed she got sick of it.

...I actually do like Imagine though.

Hilary Briss said:

i disagree, if you hear any song too much you're inevitably going to dislike it. pretty much every radio station over here seemingly plays happy about once every day, and, as somebody who likes to listen to the radio in general, it does become quite annoying when you hear a song that often.
You don't have radio stations that play anything other than Top 40? Weird. Where I live, there's all kinds of radio stations.

Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...
It's a simile, actually, and I'm free to I interpret it as I want. To me, a room without a roof represents something incomplete. To you, it represents freedom I guess. Both of our interpretations can work.

IrritatedbyHappy_zpsf7849986.png

In other words, I used to like it, but it now irritates me. I am in the mood to reply to topics in cartoon form.

No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...
It's a simile, actually, and I'm free to I interpret it as I want. To me, a room without a roof represents something incomplete. To you, it represents freedom I guess. Both of our interpretations can work.

Nah, not really, not when it's obvious that the song has positive connotations and you're just projecting your own cynical and depressing meaning onto it. It's not open for interpretation. Yeah, you're free to say what you think it means, but you're equally free to be wrong. God bless America.

Morty said:
No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...

Nah, not really, not when it's obvious that the song has positive connotations and you're just projecting your own cynical and depressing meaning onto it. It's not open for interpretation. Yeah, you're free to say what you think it means, but you're equally free to be wrong. God bless America.
What I said was that the idea of a room without a roof "comes off as incomplete and flawed to me". All that I meant was that the lyric doesn't make sense to me. The purpose of the lyric is to create a tone, I guess, and when I hear it it just doesn't work for me. That's how I interpret it, and though it may not be the "correct" meaning, that's what it means to me and I don't get what's wrong with that.

Magikrazy said:
Hilary Briss said:

You don't have radio stations that play anything other than Top 40? Weird. Where I live, there's all kinds of radio stations.

no, the radio stations i get play all kinds of music. which is exactly why happy being played so much is getting annoying.

No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...

What I said was that the idea of a room without a roof "comes off as incomplete and flawed to me". All that I meant was that the lyric doesn't make sense to me. The purpose of the lyric is to create a tone, I guess, and when I hear it it just doesn't work for me. That's how I interpret it, and though it may not be the "correct" meaning, that's what it means to me and I don't get what's wrong with that.

I guessss I understand? Like my point is that it obviously has a positive meaning and there's no denying that no matter how you personally feel it is, but I guess you're just saying that's how it comes off to you even though you know it's not that???

I guess similarly when I heard the song for like the 3rd time ever I wondered how gr8 it would sound as the background music to some really horribly depressing thing or suicide thing on a tv show. I've been watching too much Law & Order: SVU.

Hilary Briss said:
Magikrazy said:
Hilary Briss said:

no, the radio stations i get play all kinds of music. which is exactly why happy being played so much is getting annoying.
The stations I listen to just play a specific range of music.

Two of my stations play Top 40 hits, three play classic rock, and one plays alternative.

Morty said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...

I guessss I understand? Like my point is that it obviously has a positive meaning and there's no denying that no matter how you personally feel it is, but I guess you're just saying that's how it comes off to you even though you know it's not that???

Just going to leave this here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author

No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:
Magikrazy said:
No-Face said:
Morty said:
No-Face said:

It's a metaphor.

take it at, uh...
face value...

you just don't get the song because you don't know what the word "happy" means : P

Back