Mario Party 10

I've seen some posts that proclaim to this to be even worse than Mario Party 9?

Did NDCube really outdone themselves this time?

I mean, just think about it. The title screen, for one thing, is- oh wait. Well, the menu must be co- wait, just the modes? Even Mario Party DS could rival this. I wonder how many boards there are. 9 had 7, so- 5? And two can't be used in Bowser Party? How about them minigames? Okay, 4P, 2-vs.-2, 1 vs. 3. Cool. And the Bowser- wait, only 10? Your headline mode has only 10 available minigames. I guess Bowser Jr. will have some things to mix it up at least. Oh, only two challwnge minigames, and they're both mediocre. Amiibo party then? Okay, this is the old style. That's good. Let's have some, oh. I have to tap it on again? And again? And again now? That's it! I'm going to minigame, wait a minute! There's no minigame mode? NOOOOOO!!!!

You get my point?

Lumastar said:
I mean, just think about it. The title screen, for one thing, is- oh wait. Well, the menu must be co- wait, just the modes? Even Mario Party DS could rival this. I wonder how many boards there are. 9 had 7, so- 5? And two can't be used in Bowser Party? How about them minigames? Okay, 4P, 2-vs.-2, 1 vs. 3. Cool. And the Bowser- wait, only 10? Your headline mode has only 10 available minigames. I guess Bowser Jr. will have some things to mix it up at least. Oh, only two challwnge minigames, and they're both mediocre. Amiibo party then? Okay, this is the old style. That's good. Let's have some, oh. I have to tap it on again? And again? And again now? That's it! I'm going to minigame, wait a minute! There's no minigame mode? NOOOOOO!!!!

You get my point?

What's wrong with Mario Party DS? I honestly think it's one of the best in the series.

Lumastar said:

You get my point?

There is a minigame mode, there is even a tournament mode.

Mewtwo said:
Lumastar said:

You get my point?

What's wrong with Mario Party DS? I honestly think it's one of the best in the series.
It definitely is, but its menu isn't anything spectacular. Just saying.

Cirdec said:
Lumastar said:

You get my point?

There is a minigame mode, there is even a tournament mode.
But Minigames don't have a dedicated mode anymore (I think; if they are, correct me please). There's no special modes like in most prior installments aside from two (which is a low number for a modern Mario Party.

Wally said:
Mario Party 10 has been slammed by reviewers, and honestly most of them are on par with what Nd Cube needs to be told with this game.

When a game is getting as low as 5/10 and as high as 8/10 (with only one writer giving them that) and the majority between 6 and 7, there is something wrong with the game, and something needs to change.

I'm not defending MP10 but I just want to point out that the series overall has never gotten great reviews from critics.

The second I saw this game announced I immediately called it being a mediocre game like the rest of the series. I wasn't wrong at all.

Magikrazy said:
Anser said:
The second I saw this game announced I immediately called it being a mediocre game like the rest of the series. I wasn't wrong at all.
You jinxed it.

Probably. I mean, just by the reveal trailer you could just tell it was going to be dull and more of the same. I really think Nintendo should let the Mario Party series die once and for all, even though I know they won't because somehow it still sells like hot pancakes.

They're more like coldcakes lol

but yeah I legit had high hopes for this especially since they brought back dk and toadette and introduced rosalina and spike

plus bowser party looked promising

damn

Wally said:
Mario Party 10 has been slammed by reviewers, and honestly most of them are on par with what Nd Cube needs to be told with this game.

When a game is getting as low as 5/10 and as high as 8/10 (with only one writer giving them that) and the majority between 6 and 7, there is something wrong with the game, and something needs to change.
The majority between 6 and 7 means that it's decent at best, not necessarily bad. I do agree that it has flaws, but from how you're putting it, it seems really bad.

Mcmadness said:
I'm not defending MP10 but I just want to point out that the series overall has never gotten great reviews from critics.
I'd say it's more moderately well-received. But yeah, good, but not great.

I myself am not that disappointed considering my already-low expectations for what ND Cube can do bar minigames.

Anser said:
Magikrazy said:
Anser said:
You jinxed it.

Probably. I mean, just by the reveal trailer you could just tell it was going to be dull and more of the same. I really think Nintendo should let the Mario Party series die once and for all, even though I know they won't because somehow it still sells like hot pancakes.

sadly

as long as they keep using this whole vehicle crap dont think old mp fans will never be giving any good reception, but being a mario game, it will forever get money.

I often wonder what other folk decades from now will think about games like this because sometimes a game that wasn't well recieved at the time gets people who come at it with a different point of view later.

Lapis Lazuli said:

I don't see anything wrong. Previous Mario Party games had a similar ranting, and reviewers were always complaining about it's the same stuff again and again.
Now the style is different, and they yet say older Mario Party were better.
I don't hate the car mechanic, I find it interesting. I think the main problem of ND Cube is they are not good when it comes to balancing, but Nintendo is not good for that neither.
I have to play Mario Party 10 to have an opinion on this game, but from now my favorites are 1 and 9, because they both have very different style. 2 and 3 are not bad because they have fresh ideas. However, I find all the Gamecube ones medium because they are very similar, their minigames are pretty meh, and 8 has even worse minigames.

I'm not super interested in this game, seeing that the recently released Island Tour is one of the worst Mario games of all time (MUCH worse than Sticker Star, IMO)

Cirdec said:
Lapis Lazuli said:

I don't see anything wrong. Previous Mario Party games had a similar ranting, and reviewers were always complaining about it's the same stuff again and again.
Now the style is different, and they yet say older Mario Party were better.
I don't hate the car mechanic, I find it interesting. I think the main problem of ND Cube is they are not good when it comes to balancing, but Nintendo is not good for that neither.
I have to play Mario Party 10 to have an opinion on this game, but from now my favorites are 1 and 9, because they both have very different style. 2 and 3 are not bad because they have fresh ideas. However, I find all the Gamecube ones medium because they are very similar, their minigames are pretty meh, and 8 has even worse minigames.
The reviewers weren't self-contradicting themselves. Even though I think they're in the wrong for even complaining that Mario Party doesn't change much (you don't see reviewers complaining how Smash Bros. needs to change, do you!?), Mario Party could use a few new gameplay mechanics (put in a new advertised mode) to make it refreshing. But otherwise, Mario Party doesn't need change. It's a multiplayer game that has to rely on its formula game after game to entice new people while keeping the older fans. The platformers have the same thing, too, but the biggest difference is that games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario sports, and Super Smash Bros. are games that are meant to be played again and again while platformers are much more limited. The Mario platformers need something refreshing, not the Mario Party games.

Mario Party 9, however, is an attempt to overhaul the series. They failed at trying, but the biggest issue is they don't have an option for the older playstyle in case the newer one is unappealing. Not to mention, major cuts to gameplay modes and characters (team battles, the item system, 2 v. 2 minigames, Toadette, Dry Bones, Hammer Bro., Blooper, Birdo eventually). But to say the GCN were somehow staler than 2 or 3 is not quite right.

The Mario Parties with comparable fresh ideas to 2 and 3 are 4 (team battles), 5 (Super Duel Mode; capsule system), 6 (day/night system, refinement of the capsule system), 7 (8-player mode), maybe 8 (motion controls), DS (an actual theme; touch controls), Island Tour (it's a giant ass race), and 10 (Gamepad!). Advance is the most different of all the Mario Party games, so it's out of question.

Back