Super Mario Maker

That next update could prove to be quite handy for the courses that I've already uploaded. I've been seeing a good deal of low clear rates for them, so having a checkpoint flag would at least make things less annoying if the players keep failing at certain areas.

At i least i don't have to go through the torture, again of playing hard levels from the start now.

This pleases me.

Blue the Raptor said:
Nintendo64Dude said:
At i least i don't have to go through the torture, again of playing hard levels from the start now.
Only if the creator decides to put them in.

This. Just because players will be able to add checkpoint flags onto their courses, doesn't mean that they'll actually use them.

They can also abuse checkpoints, I think. Also, after playing games like Rayman Origins, I think the checkpoint limit should be capped higher.

Dr. Mario said:
They can also abuse checkpoints, I think.

Oh man, troll levels with checkpoints in areas where it's impossible to complete the level if you died after making the checkpoint... (Like a trap secret room where a tube brings you to an area where you can't get back up the tube with nothing but the checkpoint. Even worse if they put the checkpoint in a place where there's nothing but there's nowhere to go besides a bottomless pit once you've hit the checkpoint)

Or even levels from those who didn't think their checkpoints through. Like how there's levels that require you to have a P-Switch, a Power-Up, or anything else you carry but have it impossible to get the power-up cause it's in a room where once you've hit a checkpoint, you can't come back to it. That's easily fixable with adding replenished items where the checkpoints were. But still there may be people who forget that.

If you had watched the video, you'll know you actually have to finish your level from each checkpoint before uploading it. This means it's always going to be possible to finish levels with checkpoints, regardless if you die after having activated one and respawning there as a byproduct of dying.

Pi said:
If you had watched the video, you'll know you actually have to finish your level from each checkpoint before uploading it. This means it's always going to be possible to finish levels with checkpoints, regardless if you die after having activated one and respawning there as a byproduct of dying.

Oh that's right. I did watch it, just forgot that.

In a way, if you have checkpoints in your course, you have to be able to complete the course without the checkpoint, AND with the checkpoint, before uploading it.

Pi said:
Oh, thanks for that. Good point.

But is it still a good idea to raise the checkpoint cap to maybe 5 or even more? If I were to create levels, I'd put a checkpoint every time you exit something.

Magikrazy said:
True, but they also typically just have one Bowser.

That too, but with an exception of The Lost Levels, where in World 8-4 and World D-4, two Bowsers are present, with the first one being an imposter.

I'm assuming the event courses will be where people can try to unlock the Arino costume. I hope they'll make it available to everyone worldwide and not restrict costumes to certain regions.

also i didn't think i'd be excited for progressive power-ups but here i am holy shit this'll change everything

i wonder if the SMW checkpoint will be the Midway Gate or if it'll just be a flag sprite they drew for this game. hoping its the former because i always loved the sound effect it played when you passed through it

ALSO I posted this in the level sharing thread but ---> The 'Shroom's Spooky Halloween Super Mario Maker Challenge <--- is still accepting entries! if you've thought about joining this but haven't yet then the deadline is next saturday, so there's still time to submit an entry!

otherwise i will personally haunt your dreams with screaming toads until you do

It took me a couple days, but I've managed to acquire all of the Mystery Mushroom costumes today. As for my latest profile info...

WVW69ih8H007rapPi7

Note: Eight of the Mystery Mushroom costumes were unlocked through my amiibo figures; Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Rosalina, Bowser, Kirby, and Sonic.

Stanley Pines said:
is the update out yet? nothing is showing up for me still

5 PM Pacific, so whatever that would be wherever you are, but that's only a few minutes away at this point.

Yeah, update's live now.

Servers are under maintenance right now, though.

Back