Super Mario Maker

apparently not (though I've never seen Ashley or K.K. Slider unlocked by a mode other than easy so maybe there needs to be better proof of that)

i recommend getting all of the costumes in the two lower difficulties first and just hoping tingle shows up before trying to clear expert

Ravenous Whiskerpillar said:
are any of the costumes specific to a difficulty?

As far as I know, there aren't any costumes that are limited to a single difficulty. What you get is completely random, since one player could get Shy Guy on easy, while another would have to play the expert difficulty to unlock that very costume.

Builder Mario is the only costume that is not unlocked by playing 100 Mario Challenge. Instead, you have to successfully complete all the Gnat Attack minigame levels.

GBAToad said:
apparently not (though I've never seen Ashley or K.K. Slider unlocked by a mode other than easy so maybe there needs to be better proof of that)
i got ashley from normal

I finally got this game!

But how do you unlock these?:
-Super Mario Bros. 3 Theme
-Super Mario World Theme
-Mystery Suits
-100 Mario Challenge
-Bowser and Bowser Jr.
-Koopa Clown Cars and Lakitu Clouds
-More Enemies
-How to make Pipes go places
-Doors
-Fire Flowers, Super Leafs, Etc.
-Lakitus, Spinies, etc.
-Coins

Thanks

Lonk said:
Female Soldier said:
You create.
But i wonder, what are Mystery Suits used for?.

They're just aesthetic contents, which don't change anything to the game. Of course, the Mystery Mushroom costumes can't wear the Buzzy Beetle helmet and Spiny helmet.

I made my first level and it took me 2 Hours to make it. I can beat it (Although it's a bit hard for me) but my little brother gave up on Attempt #42.

AHA I FINALLY DID IT, I beat Expert-Level 100 Mario Challenge... once
dear god that was horrible (and it gave me sonic whyyyyyyyy)

the last level I played had me as Ashley the whole time. I could've gotten her hidden message on expert but I lost the costume at the very end of the level goddamnit

has GameXplain or equivalent thereof made a video showcasing all costumes clearing 100 mario challenge yet

GBAToad said:
has GameXplain or equivalent thereof made a video showcasing all costumes clearing 100 mario challenge yet

The costumes that you unlock are completely random, regardless of the difficulty level played. One player may be fortunate to unlock the Ashley costume on easy, while another may not unlock her until he/she clears the expert difficulty.

Builder Mario is the only costume that's NOT unlocked by completing 100 Mario Challenge. Instead, you have to complete all of the Gnat Attack minigame levels to acquire that Mystery Mushroom costume.

...ok, but i wasn't talking about that. i was talking about the special messages you get for clearing the mode with certain costumes (e.g. this)

Wiki said:
Ashley says "Hocus Pocus!" when the Mystery Mushroom is grabbed. When climbing or swimming Ashley rides on her broom. The death and stage completion jingles are replaced with those of the Ashley minigame of Game & Wario.

Nothing special about Toad saying something.

It has something to do with it.

Whenever you have a certain costume on, Toad says something different.

When Ashley, he says;

I'm sorry, but the princess is in another castle.

Glitchy said:
So not every character has a special conversation? That kind of sucks

It's mostly because there isn't much Toad would be able to say to them, if they have no significance to the Super Mario series.

Don't mean to derail conversations to other things in the topic, but I find the fact that you can't make world specific levels and gimmicks to be extremely crippling. Like, you can't make a World 2 Underground or Overworld Levels. The NSMB fortress levels are also missing. And even though I know a music editor would be kinda ambitious for this, I do think the option of having different songs would've been good. The mystery mushrooms can sometimes feel like the only thing that you can use to add some creativity to your levels beyond just level design.

oh man i would die to see the yoshis island style get made

but it wouldnt be the same without slopes

and slopes are pretty much impossible to do for the smb1 style

or at least not without them looking... extremely awkward

Emmett Brown said:

slopes are in the smb1 style on the mario maker stage in smash 4

OH RIGHT I FORGOT THAT LOL

then id die even more for a yoshis island style

its literally the best artstyle in 2d mario by far

+ im intrigued to see how airships would look like in that style

Emmett Brown said:

Isn't Yoshi's Island a Yoshi game though?

I think the slopes could work. I think the reason why they were omitted is because it would be hard to find an actual good way to differentiate it from steps.

Glitchy said:
slopes are in the smb1 style on the mario maker stage in smash 4

Edit: Are you serious? Then why did they...? (-_-)

well yeah but

i dont really see why this is stopping them, if theyre gonna do dlc its an actual possibility imo.

as well as smb2 and super mario land/super mario land 2 styles

i'd rather have a smb2 style first :(

Yoshi's Island style could work. I'd fully support it if it came with a freaking Baby Mario superstar power-up.

chillv said:
I think the reason why they were omitted is because it would be hard to find an actual good way to differentiate it from steps.

Or they were being lazy

slopes contribute to organic and just generally looking better levels. also, you can slide down them and kill enemies.

okay i actually think that super mario land 2 would be a super easy to do style when thinking about it. They have everything except for airships, basically (if you take the pallette of the house levels or sth. for the ghost houses)

the only downside is that the camera was way closer to mario in that game, but honestly that isnt too much of a problem.

Back