FIFA World Cup 2014

Who do you think will win the 2014 World Cup?

• Uruguay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chile

• Ecuador

• Ghana

• Cameroon

• Nigeria

• Algeria

• Ivory Coast

• Costa Rica

• Honduras

• Mexico

• South Korea

• Iran

• Belgium

• Bosnia-Herzegovina

• Croatia

• Portugal

• Russia

• Switzerland

• Greece

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Driftmaster130

Rest in Peace, Walkazo
World Cup time in less than two weeks! Hopefully it can still go on smoothly despite the violent protests in Brazil.

I probably won't be able to see much since I'll be traveling for that whole time, but I'm pulling mostly for Germany, Ghana, and the host, Brazil this year. For some reason the USA always gets put with the better teams in every World Cup and they're always eliminated even when they have a good streak going on.

So yeah discuss the World Cup in here.

I don't watch FIFA, but I hope USA wins.

Toothless said:
I accidentally voted for Ivory Coast, and I have no idea where that is and how I managed it, but I always want Germany to win.
You can change your vote.

I could swear I set it to allow changing of votes, but I just reset it and you can vote again

I'll support England, even though I know we won't make it to the knockout round, unless Italy or Uruguay play atrociously.

I don't really care for football nowadays, but I'd support England if I had to pick since that's where I live.

Icemario said:
I don't really care for football nowadays, but I'd support England if I had to pick since that's where I live.

FIFA is soccer. Or do you call it football in England?

It's called football over here, because you use your feet.

Tumble said:
Duskull said:
It's called football over here, because you use your feet.

Oh. Over here in the US we call it soccer.
That football isn't really football.

I mean 90% of the time you USE YOUR HANDS.

So your dumb football should called handball imo.

either call it that or go by Rugby but the name seems to be boooring.

Лакитубыстро said:
USA be the only one to call rugby 'football' and football 'soccer'. Because logic.

well there's canada, australia, south africa, ireland and japan too. doesn't make it any less dumb, but still.

and italy calls it "calcio" (or "calcium" in english) for some reason.

also american football, while similar to rugby, is a completely different sport with different, domestic rules.

EDIT: i was mixing up etymologies, "calcio" is short for "calciare", which means "to kick". still better than "soccer", tho.

Toad Eightyfive said:
Лакитубыстро said:
USA be the only one to call rugby 'football' and football 'soccer'. Because logic.

well there's canada, australia, south africa, ireland and japan too. doesn't make it any less dumb, but still.
Looking at this list, those five countries really are a minority.

For the record, the first person to call it soccer was British.

I really hope Germany loses early. That way everyone over here will be disappointed and the media will stop their excessive coverage of the event.

I don't really have anything against the sport, but the way it eclipses everything here and is worshipped like the coming of spherical leather jesus is very silly.

Seadramon said:
I don't really have anything against the sport, but the way it eclipses everything here and is worshipped like the coming of spherical leather jesus is very silly.
My opinion in a nutshell.

I'd probably watch it more often/enjoy watching it more if it wasn't for all the fans obsessing over it, shoving their opinions that it's the best down the throats of anyone who dissents, etc.

It feels so weird that in the US the Superbowl is the event that's worshipped like crystal dragon Jesus. I don't follow the media that much but it's likely that they're not covering [edit: the FIFA world cup] very much.

Seadramon said:
I really hope Germany loses early. That way everyone over here will be disappointed and the media will stop their excessive coverage of the event.

Still, I'm pretty sure they'll just keep covering it for the publicity (here in Turkey the national team didn't even make it into the World Cup and from what I can tell, they're talking about it just nonstop on TV, but that could just be because the country is rather soccer crazy in general) Also in the US, where soccer isn't even that big of a craze, they literally broadcast nothing but matches and highlights even after the US was kicked out of the competition)

Correction: ESPN broadcasts nothing but highlights. When they're not sending reporters live to McDonald's, where Lebron James ordered a medium drink instead of his usual large, that is.

Back