Not open for further replies.

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Even in the next M&L? Because after Dream Team I'm worried they killed him off for good. That would be a shame since he was the first recurring M&L character (who debuted in M&L that is)

So will they pull a Bowser and inexplicably return him in the next Mario & Luigi? I'd also like to see Midbus back, maybe as a rookie for Popple. Or even as his own villain. But yeah, my personal bias aside, Fawful was probably one of the most popular RPG characters to just be tossed in the trash like that. So who thinks he'll at least cameo in future games?

Well, RPGs do have their own canon of sorts. But what I find particularly strange are the frozen Shroobs: the Elder Princess Shroob clearly died in the past in Partners in Time yet she made an appearance in Bowser's Inside Story.

Yeah, if she can come back (frozen or not) then I think Fawful, or even Cackletta and Antasma can also come back. Perhaps one of them unfreezes the Shroobs in Bowser's castle? Then we have a really interesting story on our hands.

Needs 80% more Baby Luigi

That would be interesting. I doubt Fawful will return though, since he failed to make an appearance in Dream Team. Isn't he, like, supposedly the most recurring ML character in the series? Seems unfair to leave him out. They could have made him a dream thing in Dream Team but...

There's a lot they could have done with DT's dream world (like have a Fawful appearance, maybe even a Mr. L appearance, etc) but it's still a good game, much better than Sticker Star. Anyway I never thought too far into the Shroob thing but you're right, that completely debunks any "dead because explosion" theories. Which also means any villain, RPG or not, who exploded can indeed come back.

Even though the bosses like Goomboss, Whomp King, Big Bob-Omb, etc have no problem doing this...

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
There's a lot they could have done with DT's dream world (like have a Fawful appearance, maybe even a Mr. L appearance, etc) but it's still a good game, much better than Sticker Star. Anyway I never thought too far into the Shroob thing but you're right, that completely debunks any "dead because explosion" theories. Which also means any villain, RPG or not, who exploded can indeed come back.

Even though the bosses like Goomboss, Whomp King, Big Bob-Omb, etc have no problem doing this...
You know since they are all kings it's entirely possible that your fighting the new king also one of them is literally a bomb so he doesn't count.

I'm all for Fawful returning in some way, shape, or form in the next Mario & Luigi installment, but realistically speaking, the most he'll probably get is a cameo and nothing more. Like I said before, I find it sickening how just about every villain in the series who isn't Bowser is considered expendable. Especially since every one of the RPG villains had him sorely outclassed by a longshot.

b-but m-m-muh musclehead goofball koopuhs

Bowser got a redemption of sorts with Dream Team IMO, about time they actually had him as a major threat/final boss for once in a good while (though the backstabbing of Antasma could've been better timed, maybe).

"For once"? Along with being the final boss in every Mario platformer that's been released in the last twenty years, Bowser was already the final boss in two other RPGs before Dream Team came along.

Bat King Antasma said:
"For once"? Along with being the final boss in every Mario platformer that's been released in the last twenty years, Bowser was already the final boss in two other RPGs before Dream Team came along.

Yeah, I was speaking solely in terms of RPGs, and I realized I had to fix that like five seconds after I first posted it.

When do they ever kill off characters for good? Cackletta died in M'n'L1, but so did Fawful. Madame Clairvoya insinuated that Mario killed Bowser in S&M64. And King Boo possessed his corpse. But he came back. Hell, what about Dry Bowser? Is he not undead? Death means s|-|it in Mario.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
When do they ever kill off characters for good? Cackletta died in M'n'L1, but so did Fawful. Madame Clairvoya insinuated that Mario killed Bowser in S&M64. And King Boo possessed his corpse. But he came back. Hell, what about Dry Bowser? Is he not undead? Death means s|-|it in Mario.
Yeah, that, the Princess Shroob thing, the platformer bosses, and the fact we have undead characters should prove that the "dead" argument is, well, dead.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
When do they ever kill off characters for good? Cackletta died in M'n'L1, but so did Fawful.
Fawful never died in M&L1
Chuck Ballymoo said:
Madame Clairvoya insinuated that Mario killed Bowser in S&M64. And King Boo possessed his corpse. But he came back. Hell, what about Dry Bowser? Is he not undead? Death means s|-|it in Mario.
The platforming games aren't even really canon with eachother so the whole "death means shit in Mario" only applies to the platformers and not the M&L series, and even if the platformers are canon with eachother Bowser hasn't actually been killed in a platformer game to my knowledge so that's not a good reason for Fawful to randomly return from the dead with no explanation.

The A-Team said:
Bowser hasn't actually been killed in a platformer game to my knowledge
I'm pretty sure he was as good as dead in New Super Mario Bros., but since Bowser, for some reason, is somehow entitled to all this special treatment, they had no qualms with bringing him back to life.

Bowser was still alive at the end of NSMB.

Bat King Antasma said:
I'm all for Fawful returning in some way, shape, or form in the next Mario & Luigi installment, but realistically speaking, the most he'll probably get is a cameo and nothing more. Like I said before, I find it sickening how just about every villain in the series who isn't Bowser is considered expendable. Especially since every one of the RPG villains had him sorely outclassed by a longshot.
Well that doesn't mean we can't have more rivals and bosses in this series, and perhaps we actaully lack them. Wario and King Boo are good examples.

For RPG villains, usually they have more backstories to tell but these have to be told intensively. They're portrayed to be more vicious than the normal rivals and bosses so the protagonists have to beat them out as soon as possible. Bowser, on the other hand, doesn't mean to kill anyone or end the world so he isn't that aggressive.

I don't mind to see Fawful once again, but making RPG characters die and revive again and again would bore fans eventually. I can only say that Fawful could have been a "nightmare wraith" in Dream Team, which is also the last chance for him.

Chuck Ballymoo said:

pretty sure it was established LM!Bowser wasn't the actual Bowser tho (ignoring the shakiness of Mario "canon", how do you go from supposedly dead to 'hey imma vacation with my son in a bathtub floating over a volcanic island')

Also, the nightmare wraith thing wouldn't have happened seeing as Fawful kinda spent the last of himself trying to off the Bros. at the end of BIS (which naturally backfired). Like, it'd be nice if he showed up more, but again, probably not gonna happen save for some other spinoff possibly.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
There's a lot they could have done with DT's dream world (like have a Fawful appearance, maybe even a Mr. L appearance, etc)

>paper mario character in the M&L series

With Luigi's dreams, however, so many references could have been made. A Paper Mario series reference wouldn't be too bizarre, and Mr. L would have fit well as a possible dreamy boss in Luigi's dreams.

Also Fawful did die in SS too, if you look he does explode after falling from Bowser's Castle. So that makes the point of explosions meaning death moot, as well as the previously stated Shroob argument.

Well Luigi appears in so much games. Why isn't there, like, karting or traumatic Mario Party experiences? Or even Baby Luigi as an unbeatable boss

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
With Luigi's dreams, however, so many references could have been made. A Paper Mario series reference wouldn't be too bizarre, and Mr. L would have fit well as a possible dreamy boss in Luigi's dreams.

Also Fawful did die in SS too, if you look he does explode after falling from Bowser's Castle. So that makes the point of explosions meaning death moot, as well as the previously stated Shroob argument.

welp there goes my respect for the M&L games's plot

The A-Team said:
Fawfulthegreat64 said:

welp there goes my respect for the M&L games's plot
Yyyyyyeah, kinda hard to disagree with the wasted potential. Although...

While Paper Mario references wouldn't be out of place, Mr. L in particular seems apropos of nothing. Also, it's been already established that exploding and such doesn't necessarily signify death unless stated otherwise (hence why I'm unsure Fawful will make a major reappearence, since he basically outright stated his intentions of a kamikaze attack in his last appearance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back