Bowser as a Villain

How do you feel about Bowser after all these years?

• I feel he is perfect the way he is!

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I feel he works for the series.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • As long as the games are fun I don't care.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Bowser needs something to spice him up.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Create an entirely new main series villain!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Bring back an old villain (such as wart)

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Pokémon Trainer Essentia said:
Make him more menacing, and you got a good villain.

I love how menacing he is in Mario Kart when he drives a pink kart

I use Baby Luigi so yeah...

Glowsquid said:
re first few posts: Wart is a boring character and and an even more boring boss battle. I'm genuinely struggling to think of how they could reinvent him or why anyone would want him back beside "He's a bad guy that's not Bowser". At least Tatanga's hi-tech focus could bring... something.
There's always the possibility that they'll try to reinvent Wart, should they bring him back, but that's never going to happen. Tatanga as well, they've just become lost over time. Shame, really.

Pokémon Trainer Essentia said:
Make him more menacing, and you got a good villain.
It's already hard to take him seriously.

I don't like it when Bowser is a joke like he was in Thousand-Year Door. I prefer the evil version of Galaxy/3D World.

He was evil and menacing in Galaxy, but I think he could have been a tad more in 3D World with some actual lines.

Anyway I like him more as an anti-hero or side villain who's constantly being a pest in Mario's side, while the main villain role gets taken by some more serious villains for once.

Aiko Heiwa said:
bring back wart
It's more like there are many current bosses whom Nintendo don't really make good use of. Not saying anything against Wart, but he doesn't need to return if just regarding this topic.

I just wish to see recurring bosses in the same stage that can compete with Bowser in any occasion. Wario and DK doesn't count, I always think KingK.Rool would be a very good match for him. I agree that it's interesting to give Bowser an anti-hero appearance in a SMB title.

Add something new to Bowser, something original, and then it won't matter how non-menacing it seems, you got yourself a villain. In order to make Bowser a villain, you do not need to make the audience scared of him, just make your audience feel for the cause to defeating him. Make Bowser do something that you previously thought would be overstepping his boundaries, that way he has a new appearance. There is no way that fans will not loose interest in him if he stays like this, in my opinion. Also, how would you guys feel if they made a game where all the protagonists from the Mario series and sub-series had to work together to defeat a conglomerate of the forces of all the villains? Just an idea.

Yoshi 2.0 said:
Also, how would you guys feel if they made a game where all the protagonists from the Mario series and sub-series had to work together to defeat a conglomerate of the forces of all the villains? Just an idea.
DO IT NINTENDO

Another thing I was just discussing on GameFAQs is that even though Bowser has seniority and is considered the Big Bad of the Mario series, doesn't mean other villains should be expendable one-offs. Fawful and Tatanga are to my knowledge the only main villains besides Bowser, DK and Wario to appear in more than one game, and even then it was only two games. Wart didn't even get that, nor did any of the other RPG villains except Popple who is more of a side villain.

With the possible exception of Galaxy, Dream Team and Paper Mario 64, Bowser hasn't really had many interesting evil plans. At least not that you get to see much of. The Sprixie thing in 3D World was only because they had no other way to make Peach playable, and God forbid a Mario platformer having a story that's not somebody kidnapped by Bowser. And Dream Team Bowser was only leeching off Antasma's work, so it really wasn't him doing the planning most of the time (until the very end that is). Really I still love the main Mario series but it would be a lot better if the villains were occasionally new or returning ones that aren't Bowser or related (Kamek, etc)

Haven't played the Yoshi's Island series, but I watched the final boss of New Island on Youtube, and
Really? Adult Bowser out of fucking nowhere? They didn't even bother giving a reason why he was there. He was apparently just there to fill his obligatory role of Final Boss in Every Mario Game Ever that's been a rule since the Wii era ended. Even Baby Bowser isn't good enough to be a final boss anymore. First they blatantly tossed Antasma in the garbage so Bowser could have that role in Dream Team, now they even did the same to Baby Bowser himself? I like Bowser, but I don't think he deserves THAT much special treatment.

As always, you've pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Just a minor correction, though... Wart technically appeared in two games, but the other was a Zelda installment, though. Still, that (along with BS Super Mario USA (which apparently takes place after the main SMB2) clearly indicates that Wart didn't die after he was defeated, so there's really no reason why he can't at least show up in the spin-offs.

That makes 3 games: SMB2, BS-SM-USA, and TLoZ:LA. But yeah, he didn't die, and I've always thought it'd be neat if they brought him back and gave him new moves and stuff in order to be a difficult, existence-worthy boss. He could team up with Bowser, or, more interestingly (imo), he could be a rival boss that would need defeating in a Bowser-starring game; King K. Rool could also work as someone for Bowser to team up with or fight against, as could most other extended Marioverse villains, really. Speaking of which...

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Yoshi 2.0 said:
Also, how would you guys feel if they made a game where all the protagonists from the Mario series and sub-series had to work together to defeat a conglomerate of the forces of all the villains? Just an idea.
DO IT NINTENDO
An all-stars game of Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario vs. Bowser, King Boo, Kamek, King K. Rool and Captain Syrup would be fun. Wario could be a bit of a wild card and help the bad guys too - Syrup could bribe him or play on his old rivalry with Mario and whatnot.

And as for Bowser, I'm a fan of the character and always will be - mainly because of the RPGs making him a comic villain and antihero, mind you. I'd be perfectly happy to see other villains get turns as the central bad guys in the RPGs and platformers alike as long as they keep giving Bowser vehicles like PM:TTYD, M&L:SS, SMRPG, M&L:BIS and SPM to let his personality shine through. Hell, I had been hoping for Wart in SM3DW, and the end of YNI was downright irritating: there's having no plot, and then there's having no logic - and for what? You can have exciting finales without Bowser, y'know - and in those pointedly plot-lite platformers, who you fight is really secondary to how they fight as far as enjoyment of the game goes.

This has been the first time ever have I seen this many people agree with me with no disagreements.

I think Bowser is fine as he is. He is one of my favourite characters of all time and I like the way he is portrayed in almost all his games, especially the RPGs when his evilness is toned down a lot.

The RPGs, since they tone down the menace, makes it hard to take him seriously, even while playing The Main Series, I keep on remembering funny quotes from Bowser, and I don't feel even the slightest bit like he is a villain. Bowser should either stop trying to be menacing, and constantly be like he is in the RPGs, or keep with the menacing act and stick with it. Give him a real personality, one that does not waver.

Sir Komlin IV said:
I totally agree with that, and a game with multiple, intricate, fighting, boss fights would be very fun. I do think that Bowser fights could have more development than just "Dodge fireball, jump, hit switch, done".
He does...sometimes he throws hammers

The Blackadder said:
Sir Komlin IV said:
I totally agree with that, and a game with multiple, intricate, fighting, boss fights would be very fun. I do think that Bowser fights could have more development than just "Dodge fireball, jump, hit switch, done".
He does...sometimes he throws hammers
You know what I meant. I was referring to intricate battle mechanics, or unique boss scenes. If he throws hammers, than good for him. If the difference is that miniscule, it is not enough.

Even though Bowser is not horrible in his role, I do not believe Nintendo is using him to his full potential as a villain.

Back