Bowser as a Villain

How do you feel about Bowser after all these years?

• I feel he is perfect the way he is!

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I feel he works for the series.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • As long as the games are fun I don't care.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Bowser needs something to spice him up.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Create an entirely new main series villain!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Bring back an old villain (such as wart)

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

YoshiMonsta

Yoshi! Yoshi!
Is it just me or is Bowser getting redundant in the main series games. Voice your opinion up above.

I think we might need something new, though my second thought would be that he should have something to spice him up, like a game where he is the main character.

I think an entirely new villain could be interesting, though highly unlikely. I feel a more in-depth characterization for Bowser, such as one single, interesting, personality trait that carries out through the games, could make things that much more interesting.
Aiko Heiwa said:
bring back wart
Wart could be fun to have back.

Added option to bring back retro character, let me know if you wanna reset votes to vote for that.

I like bowser, but I do want to see some villains, like wart, to return. Wart was a pretty good villain, and I feel that he could have a place in future games.

Wart and/or Tatanga should come back, I feel. And I do not want it to be in a spinoff. Though I do not feel as if Wart and/or Tatanga could really be a main villain in a main series game, and it would be interesting to have secondary villains who are not working for Bowser, which I feel Wart and/or Tatanga could do to make the games a good deal more fun and interesting. Perhaps a Wart + Tatanga + Bowser story, which could be useful to make the main series much less simple and more fun.

I would like a boss where you actually fight him instead of making a run for a switch or something all of the time.

I totally agree with that, and a game with multiple, intricate, fighting, boss fights would be very fun. I do think that Bowser fights could have more development than just "Dodge fireball, jump, hit switch, done".

Lolcrawler said:
chillv said:
I would like a boss where you actually fight him instead of making a run for a switch or something all of the time.
^this

That too

I just want Bowser spiced up a bit

I feel we should have a way to feel like people did about Bowser originally, interested. For me I feel it is just, "OH MY GOD HE FUCKING BREATHED FIRE!!!". (Sarcasm included)

Those are pretty much my own thoughts whenever he comes up with the same boring, repetitive plan in almost every game. Yeah, I know... 3D World was an exception, but it only took him like, what? Twenty-eight years? I know I'm in the minority here, and I've said this time and time again, but I think Bowser's extremely overrated and overused. He's a complete joke of a villain, and I'm sick of all the special treatment he continues to get, while all other villains in the series (with King Boo being a rare exception) are considered expendable. There's really no excuse whatsoever for the blatant favoritism that Nintendo continues to play towards him, which was especially apparent in Dream Team.

I like King Boo and Petey Piranha more than I like Bowser. What I would really like is another game where Wario is the main villain.

In the Mario platformers, Bowser is just lame, bland, and incompetent. I like how he had a huge carnival in 3D World, but Bowser needs to step it up more. Make him more ridiculous.

I voted bring back an old villain, but I don't want Bowser scrapped completely. Just make him more interesting, and give him a break sometimes. Why not have the next 3D Mario with a new villain or somebody like Wart, Tatanga, or even maybe Wario or one of the RPG villains (Grodus maybe, or the Shroobs. Tatanga and they would be perfect for a third Galaxy). Heck, how about making Bowser playable for once, rather than being a very predictable villain. I like him more as an anti-hero anyway. And please, for the next RPG, give us a new final boss. We had Bowser for two RPGs in a row, while they are known for having new and unique villains for the final boss most of the time.

I think Bowser has turned into a joke, and he's surprisingly comfortable in that role. If they have to keep using him, then please not as the main villain, and if they have to, please refrain from trying to portray him seriously. I find his portrayals in the likes of Super Mario Galaxy as a sinister, all-powerful force to be feared quite ridiculous. Nobody's scared of you, Bobbles, it's time to hang up your shell.

I think his Paper Mario incarnation as a bumbling wannabe-villain and Mario's grumpy rival is much more enjoyable.

I liked Bowser in Super Mario 3D World more than Galaxy games too

hard to really tell if he's a villain sometimes, really depends on the game i guess as in some rpgs he's not and some others he is, plus he doesnt seem too serious in some other games.

chillv said:

bullseye

Also the Zae person with the absolutely lovely avatar is right, as are Miles and Baby Luigi: give him some time to rest, introduce some more interesting abilities, and if you're going to do anything about the "srs vs. goofy" debate, at least mix the two personalities to some extent IMO. I'll freely admit, the RPG portrayals of him are my favorites more for their handling of his personality than for his threat level (or lack thereof). It's also why I love him in Dream Team (still something of a threat, still plenty of dork, etc.)

Miles Prower said:
I think Bowser has turned into a joke, and he's surprisingly comfortable in that role. If they have to keep using him, then please not as the main villain, and if they have to, please refrain from trying to portray him seriously. I find his portrayals in the likes of Super Mario Galaxy as a sinister, all-powerful force to be feared quite ridiculous. Nobody's scared of you, Bobbles, it's time to hang up your shell.

I think his Paper Mario incarnation as a bumbling wannabe-villain and Mario's grumpy rival is much more enjoyable.
I think Bowser is more likeable when he's ridiculous in a good way.

re first few posts: Wart is a boring character and and an even more boring boss battle. I'm genuinely struggling to think of how they could reinvent him or why anyone would want him back beside "He's a bad guy that's not Bowser". At least Tatanga's hi-tech focus could bring... something.

I don't think Bowser as a character or the handling of him in recent games is especially problematic (apart from maybe NSMB's predictable as christ final boss battles). The modern Mario games' issue with badstalgia run quite a bit deeper than him.

Back