General Discussion

The specific name the game calls them ("Hammer Bro") should probably get priority since "...US L33T HAMM3R BROZ" could have just been them calling themselves l33t as an adjective, not a proper noun. It's well and fine to read too much into dialogue/flavour text/whatever to get names for characters/enemies./etc. who would otherwise be unnamed, but if we have a solid name already, no need to go hunting. Of course, a generic name requiring an identifier is less than ideal, so it could possibly be argued that "L33t Hamm3r Broz." would be better on that grounds, but it's about equal in terms of search utility and whatnot, so it's not the strongest case to try and push.

Well, as Walkazo said, they're simply called "Hammer Bros." in Partners in Time. "L33t H@mm3r Br0z." is a name that they call themselves, and, the leet thing is just a localization thing, isn't it? I think if we left the name simply just "Hammer Bros." it acknowledges how different versions of the game handle them; plus, the name is a perfectly acceptable redirect as well.

I wouldn't have an issue with it if it was the only Hammer Bro character, but Mario Party Advance has a Hammer Bro (Hammer Bro (character)) as well. I'd argue that the L33t name is more indicative of who the characters actually are and, as Walkazo said, eliminates the need for the identifier.

Think we should reconsider our rather arbitrary split-off of information pertaining to film characters?

Is it just me or did the appearance of the wiki just change?

And all the templates are misshapen too. They're all to one side and look a little off.

Maybe it's a holdover from the time when SMRPG-related pages are poorly written (and plenty still are today).

Pi said:
Rope

Why is there information about tightropes here? I don't get it.
I guess because it's a type of rope. The way it's been included is incredibly clunky, and it'd be better off in its own article.

I'll be detailing odds-and-ends from the SMA4 guide that might be of note:
  • The SMA4 guide has a specific name for a Goomba in Goomba's Shoe: "Kuribo's Goomba".
  • There's an item listed as a "Continuous Starman", and it's blue instead of yellow. Full description: "It's tricky to pull off, but if you can grab a Continuous Starman and you manage to nab each Starman power-up ahead, you can sail through a stage while you're invincible."
  • There's the standard division of Red/Green Koopas and their variants.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Challenges_%28Super_Smash_Bros._for_Wii_U%29

In my normal resolution, this page side-scrolls, not a good thing. We have to implement this table better.

Yeah, 1024px screens are the minimum we're supposed to accommodate, and that table's almost two times too wide for that.

In general, tables should just be set for 100% width, that way there's no worry of them spilling over on short screens or looking pointlessly narrow on wide screens, and then just make sure there aren't images pushing the width beyond 100%.

In this case, rows of 6 with equal widths (any value works, as long as they're the same) should be fine.

Well the table was meant to be set up in the same format as the challenge board in-game, which are rows of ten.

Yeah, but it doesn't translate well into wiki-table format. We have to make a few tweaks here and there so it's more presentable for viewers

By the way, I know this is stupidly minor, but in MarioWiki:Proposals, why the header, "Writing Guidelines" in caps while the header, "New features" isn't?

Proper noun, same as Talk Page Proposals (since Writing Guideline Proposals also have slightly different procedures). "New features" is just a kind of regular Proposal.

One more thing about the side scrolling

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_%26_Luigi:_Bowser's_Inside_Story_bestiary

and

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_%26_Luigi:_Dream_Team_bestiary

are also side-scrollers. We really need to do something about those tables. The first step is to contact the people who created these (I think they're still active).

Yeah, I meant to say earlier that it's a bit of a worrying trend I've seen, but got distracted.

This is also too wide. (Paper_Mario_bestiary#Misc._stat_chart)

It's trickier in these RPG chart situations because there's so many stats, and there's only so much combining of columns you can do. For example, for the BIS one, the internal ID can go in the name/image one, the world and location ones can be combined, maybe using a symbol instead of tediously writing out body/overworld each time, and the item drop rates can be put in with the items, but that's about it, and it'll still be too wide just from the fact that the headers can't be any narrower.

One option is ditching the switch ability for most of the columns (like how I only have it for 4/6 columns here (User:Walkazo/Essays#Sorting_Table)), which'll let them get narrower and also give us the option to double up for the non-sorting ones. So like:

picture | location | HP | POW | speed | ... | item drop (rate)
name | world | LV | DEF | fire? | ... | item drop (rate)

(and if there's only one item, it'll span both rows like the picture/name and location/world ones)

Toa 95 said:
Well the table was meant to be set up in the same format as the challenge board in-game, which are rows of ten.
Maybe an image map will work this time!?!?

Walkazo said:
Yeah, I meant to say earlier that it's a bit of a worrying trend I've seen, but got distracted.

It's trickier in these RPG chart situations because there's so many stats, and there's only so much combining of columns you can do. For example, for the BIS one, the internal ID can go in the name/image one, the world and location ones can be combined, maybe using a symbol instead of tediously writing out body/overworld each time, and the item drop rates can be put in with the items, but that's about it, and it'll still be too wide just from the fact that the headers can't be any narrower.

One option is ditching the switch ability for most of the columns (like how I only have it for 4/6 columns here (User:Walkazo/Essays#Sorting_Table)), which'll let them get narrower and also give us the option to double up for the non-sorting ones. So like:

(and if there's only one item, it'll span both rows like the picture/name and location/world ones)

Well I like this idea. I'd like to see an example of it if we were to change the bestiary though, as I get lost in descriptions.

Dr. Mario said:
Toa 95 said:
Maybe an image map will work this time!?!?

Mobile users will hate it though.

Baby Luigi said:
Walkazo said:

Well I like this idea. I'd like to see an example of it if we were to change the bestiary though, as I get lost in descriptions.
It'd basically be the same idea as the horizontal infoboxes I've drafted so far (User:Walkazo/Essays#Infoboxes), but with less rows (2 max whenever possible, more like the PiT one at the end than anything else) and no alternating background colours, multiple-column-spanning notice/tattle/log rows, or other template trimmings.

Back