General Discussion

All of our "List of X quotes" articles are visually hideous. Is there some way we could spruce them up?

Any other quotes pages from other wikis we can take example from?

I don't see a problem with them, actually. They serve their function, and pasting screenshots of select dialog or whatever all over the place will look sloppier than just leaving them text-only imo.

Yes, I agree, that I don't see a problem in the current layout. But I'm trying to brainstorm and see if there is a possible format that can make things even better before I shrug off the complaint.

Is it just something on my end or are the templates for Olympic events not showing to the right of the title as they used to?

http://www.mariowiki.com/Synchronized_Swimming

tbh I never liked that feature anyway - why treat those pages special? If it's now broken, I'd say just put the emblems in the infobox.

But it's pointless and inconsistent. The only other things with icons up there are FAs, which isn't actually in-article content, so it makes sense to have the FA symbols hovering outside the article. The images would be much more fitting in the infoboxes with the rest of the info - f.e. just put it in "type=" before the written word (once the emblems are given proper transparency, anyway).

Walkazo said:
tbh I never liked that feature anyway - why treat those pages special? If it's now broken, I'd say just put the emblems in the infobox.

Per. Just do what the Smash Bros. infoboxes do.

I never even noticed the emblem, but yeah, it looks pretty sloppy.

Anything else to say about the film crap?

So my plans are merging the film information once that gets done. I think it should be high priority to remerge the film information even though, well, a lot of people want to forget about the film, because in my opinion, it doesn't reflect very well on the "Mario isn't canon" side of things and it's going to continue to bother me. Maybe I should be the one to fire the proposal, but I'd like any more thoughts before I go ahead.

Big Bertha is probably going to stay split (and it wouldn't be too bad since we do have Big Bertha (Blaster). Not too sure about Iggy or Spike, but I think I'll give the benefit of doubt and leave those split as well. The rest should be merged to the parent article. Yes, that includes Bowser, who looks like a human, but he's actually a dinosaur.

We also have a few articles not split including Mario Brothers Plumbing, Bob-omb(!), Snifti, and Banzai Bill. It might be editor oversight at this point, but meh, why can we just merge the others instead?

You mean Bullet Bill and Snifit, but yeah, those unsplit articles are definitely a good point - it clearly shows that the bias is towards characters. I'd argue that Iggy could be merged, since him being Koopa's cousin isn't all that different compared to the other changes.

Spike (film character) can be left simply because there was no Spike character in the games (although the page should be moved to plain "Spike (character)" per MW:Naming); similarly, Big Bertha the fish character from Fins and Roses doesn't have her own article, so there's nothing to merge that film character's page to either (although it could be argued that the fish character's info should be added to the film character's page). Meanwhile, everyone else has in-game/comic character equivalents with articles (including Iggy and the king, so I'd say, merge them too for consistency); Bob-ombs and Bullet Bills are consistently items so it makes sense to keep them merged too, and Snifits are a plurality in the movie too so they can stay with the enemy page as a unified subject type as well.

So basically, the new standard will be if there's a character in both the film and other media(/medium), they should be merged; if there's an item in both, they should stay merged; if there's a species in both, they should stay merged; if there's a place in both, they should stay merged (i.e. if the same subject type's in both, it should be merged). That'd be the "merge" option, with either one "oppose" (leave as-is, inconsistency and all), or possibly a third "split the forgotten things like the characters for consistency" option too, if you're willing to risk that winning - but just a simple yes/no vote for the splits should be fine too.

absolutely no idea where else to put this because there's no general discussion in...general discussion, or in the marioverse board; and I also have no idea if anyone else posted this yet but

https://store.line.me/stickershop/product/5835/en

mario-themed LINE stickers, they're super cute and I'm certain someone's gonna want these to upload into galleries

Several things I've been wondering about:

Niiue said:
Anyone know if this is mentioned in any of the Super Mario Land 2 guides?

(not really expecting anything less generic than "Piranha Plant statue", but it's good to have something official)

A couple years ago, a user added Italian names for basically everything. Unfortunately, none of them were sourced. While a lot of them are ingame names, a large chunk of them aren't, and the user doesn't seem to be on very often, so asking them for a source might be difficult. Anyone have an Italian SMW2 guide?

On a related note, Vellidragon added several German names for things in SMW2, citing "the German guide". Since Vellidragon isn't on much, does anyone know what guide this might be?

Is there anyone good at cropping? I found some unique artwork for Super Mario Kart in a NP issue (
), but I'm bad at messing with images, especially with the JPG's artifacts.

Anton said:
absolutely no idea where else to put this because there's no general discussion in...general discussion, or in the marioverse board; and I also have no idea if anyone else posted this yet but

mario-themed LINE stickers, they're super cute and I'm certain someone's gonna want these to upload into galleries
Amazing (and super cute)! Nice find, I'll upload these. I'm not sure how to get those images at least in animated form. If anyone can tell me, that would be great. Even a small purchase would do.

Edit: L151 is kind enough to upload animated versions of those files! Extra sweet! Can't wait to put some of them in our wiki, like Stomp (and I already put one in Game Over for the shits and giggles)

Well at least we got Baby Mario screaming his head off...even though Baby Mario isn't drawn correctly

As for other things...
Time Turner said:
Is there anyone good at cropping? I found some unique artwork for Super Mario Kart in a NP issue (
), but I'm bad at messing with images, especially with the JPG's artifacts.
I can kind of do it, although the letter is partially hiding Lakitu, so a crop job might be less than ideal at this point.

Striker Mario said:
Anton said:

Amazing (and super cute)! Nice find, I'll upload these. I'm not sure how to get those images at least in animated form. If anyone can tell me, that would be great. Even a small purchase would do.

Edit: L151 is kind enough to upload animated versions of those files! Extra sweet! Can't wait to put some of them in our wiki, like Stomp (and I already put one in Game Over for the shits and giggles)
The animated versions are actually APNG's (y'know (MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_36#No_APNG_Files)), a special script runs on that site to display them.

That is also why the static versions have better transparency (Re: this (User_talk:L151#Re:Super_Mario_Sticker)), there is no transparency, it gets lost in the conversion process.

What I don't know though, is how L151's GIFs have a larger resolution than any of the pictures on the site...

Put refneeded for claims going both ways for now; beyond that, can't help ya.

Niiue said:
Can someone translate the names of the two maces under the Slugger and Zeus Guy? I'd do it, but I'm on a computer that doesn't display Japanese symbols at the moment.
I'm at work so I can only use the computer and not verify with my dictionaries yet, but as far as I can find:

Tekkyō Dosun = iron/railway bridge thump ("dosun" = onomatopoeia for a thump sound, and is also the origin of Thwomp's Japanese name)
Makiage Dosun = roll/wind up / hoist thump (from "makiageru", to hoise / to roll/wind up)

Walkazo said:
Put refneeded for claims going both ways for now; beyond that, can't help ya.

Niiue said:
Can someone translate the names of the two maces under the Slugger and Zeus Guy? I'd do it, but I'm on a computer that doesn't display Japanese symbols at the moment.
I'm at work so I can only use the computer and not verify with my dictionaries yet, but as far as I can find:

Tekkyō Dosun = iron/railway bridge thump ("dosun" = onomatopoeia for a thump sound, and is also the origin of Thwomp's Japanese name)
Makiage Dosun = roll/wind up / hoist thump (from "makiageru", to hoise / to roll/wind up)

Alright, thanks!

Back