General Discussion

I still think being literal with it isn't rational, so I think something along the lines of "Giant Koopa (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)" would definitely work rather than the lame "Giant Turtle". I'm pretty sure the capitalization is just punctuation oversight.

I forgot to bring this up, but Wildgoosespeeder, while doing a admirable job with image work, is tagging {{image-quality}} tags with things that are not perfect but are acceptable otherwise. The overuse I observe of the {{image-quality}} template for anything that's less than perfect worries me.

Me and my twin already as expressed concern to him about this. He says that we need the best quality images and that tagging them helps them find them easier, but in my personal opinion, the tag should be saved only when the quality is like really really bad.

Yeah, I'd agree that the tag should only be used for things that look bad, rather than "could be better": blurry scans, bad crops, etc. One could also argue having lots of okay images in the category might possibly divert efforts away from replacing the things that actually should be dealt with asap.

I've been looking through old mags and whatnot, and I noticed that a Nintendo Power issue including Donkey Kong Land lists a fish enemy named "Pucka" and a smaller counterpart named "Pucka Jr." Here's an album of the entire DKL section. I thought that this would correspond to Fangfish (named in the manual) and Gloop (a Japanese, but unsourced, name), but according to Gloop's article, "Pucka" is an early version of Gloop, and according to List of Donkey Kong Land pre-release and unused content, "Pucka" is an entirely unused enemy. I'm going with Occam's razor here; it seems likely the articles are overcomplicating it, no?

Yeah, definitely looks like Gloop = Pucka and Fangfish = Pucka Jr. (but no rename for the latter, since the manual takes precedence). While the art and the sprite aren't perfect matches, the "possible early version of Gloop" speculation on the article holds no water at all.

Walkazo said:
Yeah, I'd agree that the tag should only be used for things that look bad, rather than "could be better": blurry scans, bad crops, etc. One could also argue having lots of okay images in the category might possibly divert efforts away from replacing the things that actually should be dealt with asap.

I've messaged him that I will bring this here. We probably need more discussion, but do we have to carry this out with an official proposal like the construction template...or....?

Walkazo said:
Yeah, definitely looks like Gloop = Pucka and Fangfish = Pucka Jr. (but no rename for the latter, since the manual takes precedence). While the art and the sprite aren't perfect matches, the "possible early version of Gloop" speculation on the article holds no water at all.

Other way around (Gloop is the smaller one and hence Jr.), but yeah, that makes the most sense to me. I'll rename Gloop ASAP.

I'd say leave it: it's not like it's doing any harm.

Baby Luigi said:
Walkazo said:
I've messaged him that I will bring this here. We probably need more discussion, but do we have to carry this out with an official proposal like the construction template...or....?
A proposal would be overkill, I think, unless there's a lot of disagreement with multiple users involved.

A little bicker over Arcade Bunny, particularly on General Information. In short: I don't want it, UhHuhAlrightDaisy wants it.

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Arcade_Bunny&diff=prev&oldid=1933650

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Arcade_Bunny&diff=next&oldid=1933650

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Arcade_Bunny&diff=next&oldid=1933651

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Arcade_Bunny&diff=next&oldid=1934614

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Arcade_Bunny&diff=next&oldid=1934615

Walkazo said:
I'd say leave it: it's not like it's doing any harm.

Baby Luigi said:
Walkazo said:
A proposal would be overkill, I think, unless there's a lot of disagreement with multiple users involved.

I dunno, this thing needs more discussion overall. Wildgoosespeeder is suggesting to even make a new template to tag the ones that aren't quite good enough. I disagree with his stance that we need a template; wiki editors should already know that images should always be improved.

Here's his latest response to this, incase my paraphrasing sucks

File talk:MKSCCongratsScreen.PNG

So, the Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Yoshi's Island DS refers to Scorchits (Scorchit) as "Zeus Guys", and by policy, the article should be moved. Even though there's already a completely different Yoshi's Island enemy named Zeus Guy and the Prima guide gives us the unique and much clearer "Scorchit". Normally, I'm all for following policy, but in this case, it seems a bit silly and detrimental. I don't suppose it'd be possible to circumvent policy in this case?

...In the meantime, could I ask if anyone's heard of "Will Co., Ltd."? A user has been adding them as a developer to several games, but I haven't heard anything about that company. They also haven't gotten back to me yet.

Never heard of them. Google results suggest they might be a trading/exporting/etc. company out of Hong Kong, so perhaps is involved that way (or a chemical/paint company in the Netherlands?), but even then, saying they're a developer would seem like a bit of a stretch. Perhaps check a couple PAL credit rolls of games the user added it to (since their IP's from Europe), but if there's no luck, remove them until citations and/or an explanation is forthcoming.

Time Turner said:
So, the Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Yoshi's Island DS refers to Scorchits (Scorchit) as "Zeus Guys", and by policy, the article should be moved. Even though there's already a completely different Yoshi's Island enemy named Zeus Guy and the Prima guide gives us the unique and much clearer "Scorchit". Normally, I'm all for following policy, but in this case, it seems a bit silly and detrimental. I don't suppose it'd be possible to circumvent policy in this case?
Hard to say, since of the two, the original Zeus Guy's name is way less fitting (being a karate-fighting Bandit and all), and policy is against Scorchit. My gut says to stick to policy and make the second page "Zeus Guy (YIDS)", while leaving the original with the plain name (rather than a disambig page), but I have no strong feelings either way. A TPP would be the best option to try and make an exception to the rule in the name of the alternative, unique name also at our disposal.

I'd say just leave it as it is; I'd rather go with common sense than bend backward and try to follow policy and give out a confusing and inferior name.

Walkazo said:
Never heard of them. Google results suggest they might be a trading/exporting/etc. company out of Hong Kong, so perhaps is involved that way (or a chemical/paint company in the Netherlands?), but even then, saying they're a developer would seem like a bit of a stretch. Perhaps check a couple PAL credit rolls of games the user added it to (since their IP's from Europe), but if there's no luck, remove them until citations and/or an explanation is forthcoming.
I'll wait another day to see if they say anything, but in the meantime, I've been looking up the other companies they've added. For Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, they added "PolyAssets United Inc.", "Paon Corporation", "Switch Entertainment Inc.", and "Rideon", who are all listed in the credits as "Special Thanks". They did a bit more than that, PolyAssets' site lists themselves as having done the "Work flow for map making" and the "Environment Modeling", but at this point, it seems like they're adding anyone who remotely chipped in as a developer. I mean, we don't exactly have a standard for the section, but that hardly seems like the way it's supposed to be used.

I thought of talking to the user m'self, I don't think it's pertinent to add every random asset farm in the infobox.

Is anyone working on Treasure Tracker articles? If not I'm going to because I have the game and can upload level images up to Trick-Track Hall, I believe

I know I said I'd start the CTTT articles today, but I actually didn't (I was here during that time) but I'll start them on Sunday when I'm back at home. Please don't snipe it either.

Walkazo said:
Lakituthequick said:
Walkazo said:
In addition to making editing easier, the [edit] buttons also balance out the [show] buttons, so now all the titles are perfectly centered, instead of being slightly off to the left - I doubt anyone really cared all that much, but eh, now it's perfect, so yay (until you click it since [hide] is narrower than [show], but eh, what can you do - it's a pretty minor shift).
People that have a different language than English as display may have different texts for [show] and [hide] actually, I have [Uitvouwen]/[Inklappen] (Dutch) for example.
Small thing that doesn't matter much indeed as not everyone does that but I'm just mentioning it here. :P
Interesting - I didn't know that was even a function of the language settings. Ah well, at least it's still closER to the center now than it was before.
Digging this up because there is a neat function in MediaWiki that may get this consistent; using "{{int:edit}}" in place of the word "edit" in {{Template:Edit}} will transclude the word in the language of the viewing user, just like how show/hide does.

int-edit.png

It does capitalize the word "edit" though, though consistency between languages tends to be funny. "text-transform: lowercase" could fix that though.

Whether you use this is up to you, it's there.

Also, was there a particular reason that {{edit}} requires the user to enter the template name? I tested out this code, and it didn't fail:
Code:
<div style="float:left;width:3.4em;text-align:left;padding:0 0 0 0.3em">[<span class="plainlinks">[{{fullurl:{{{1|{{FULLPAGENAMEE}}}}}|action=edit}} edit]</span>]</div>
but eh... It's too minor now.

Back