So what's with Rosalina recently?

Anna said:
Daisy wouldn't cut it because there's already a palette swap of Peach that resembles her, and if they included her, it would be just a clone of Peach.

I just...with Toad, I think he was next in line to be a new playable character, but they probably felt that there were not enough female fighters.

With Rosalina, I felt a big push was the fact that she was a female representative. I feel that they mostly put her in to give female gamers so more options in the female players. It's also why I think if another Kong is added, it'll be Dixie Kong before it'll be King K. Rool.
Sorry, are you talking about SSB? This topic doesn't just focus on that title, so I suppose you do.

So there are obviously some pairs of similar characters in SSB, such as Mario brothers, and we should blame Nintendo at first why they didn't give a unique character or give Daisy a new clothes design. Besides, the palette is irrelevant since other characters also have such kind of thing (eg, Luigi's color for Mario and Wario).

I do think SSB lack female representives, however, the rise of Rosalina wasn't due to the lack of female recurring characters in Mario series. Regardless of subseries, there are at least Daisy, Birdo and Toadette, not to say represnetiveness is what SSB should be all about.

Anna said:
Baby Luigi said:
I still prefer Toad over Rosalina. Poor guy's been hiding under Peach's dress for too long

I don't know why Toad would want to come out from under Peach's dress.

I just...with Toad, I think he was next in line to be a new playable character, but they probably felt that there were not enough female fighters.

Daisy wouldn't cut it because there's already a palette swap of Peach that resembles her, and if they included her, it would be just a clone of Peach.

With Rosalina, I felt a big push was the fact that she was a female representative. I feel that they mostly put her in to give female gamers so more options in the female players. It's also why I think if another Kong is added, it'll be Dixie Kong before it'll be King K. Rool.

It's ---ing suffocating in there

I'd rather they have King K. Rool over Dixie, honestly. I think villains should be in more than female characters at this point.

But who knows. They could pull off the same character paradox thing with Toon Link, they could do it with Toad if they wanted to.

or just give Peach some new moves
personally I think Toad would be better suited to an assist character though

Well, they could use Toadsworth instead of Toad

I'm still baffled why Rosy got in before Toad...

Baby Luigi said:
Well, they could use Toadsworth instead of Toad

I'm still baffled why Rosy got in before Toad...

My best guess is for the Super Mario Galaxy representation. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was never able to implement anything from Super Mario Galaxy, except for a Chronicle reference.

Meh, I think a stage and some soundtrack suits better

Baby Luigi said:
Meh, I think a stage and some soundtrack suits better

I guess it all depends on our preferences in the end. Interestingly, Ridley has high representation, but there are those who don't want him in, simply because of how big he is in the Metroid titles. That's a rather irrelevant excuse, considering Bowser's size history.

Anyway, I think Rosalina offers a lot more on the playing field than what Toad could ever offer, thanks to the Luma.

MnSG said:
I guess it all depends on our preferences in the end. Interestingly, Ridley has high representation, but there are those who don't want him in, simply because of how big he is in the Metroid titles. That's a rather irrelevant excuse, considering Bowser's size history.

I thought more people disputed that than used it as an excuse why Ridley currently be in.

But yes, if Rosa is able to make it in, so should Ridley.

Baby Luigi said:
MnSG said:

I thought more people disputed that than used it as an excuse why Ridley currently be in.

But yes, if Rosa is able to make it in, so should Ridley.
Or Toad, even though he isn't my favorite character

MnSG said:
My best guess is for the Super Mario Galaxy representation. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was never able to implement anything from Super Mario Galaxy, except for a Chronicle reference.
Sorry, have you count how many titles Mario series have?? Or we don't even have to think about series represnetives since everyone has a ticket, which means Kid, Ashley, Goombella and Wizpig should also be here. If you mean only a stage and some soundtrack, it might make sense.

Yeah

Why did we get a Galaxy rep before a Sunshine rep :|

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah

Perhaps because Bowser Jr. isn't completely affiliated with Delfino Plaza. Still, I wouldn't say that Bowser Jr. is out of the running just yet.

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah

probably because rosalina is liked more than any other character in sunshine

Princess Zae said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah
Well, that's called popularity, not representiveness. And in SSB there are only representives of a whole series, not of a single game, and it sounds like mentioning an exclusive character instead of a recurring character.

Rosalina really wasn't the main subject in the Super Mario Galaxy titles, which pretty much explains why she uses the Mushroom logo, instead of having her own distinct logo.

Dorayaki said:
Princess Zae said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah
Well, that's called popularity, not representiveness. And in SSB there are only representives of a whole series, not of a single game, and it sounds like mentioning an exclusive character instead of a recurring character.

popularity or not, she's more well known and liked than any character from sunshine.

It doesnt help the fact that sunshine is seen as the black sheep for the franchise either.

Princess Zae said:
popularity or not, she's more well known and liked than any character from sunshine.
It doesnt help the fact that sunshine is seen as the black sheep for the franchise either.
That's still not representiveness, I'm afraid. At least, for recurring characters, the earlier is usually the prior unless they're both exclusive to one game only.

Smaug said:
I like Professor E. Gadd better than Rosalina...
he wasn't from sunshine though. he appeared in it, but he appeared in LM first.

Marketing. They're trying to broaden the interest level to females as well. And Rosalina's a great example. She's a very independent character. Personally, I like this. She's a great character to add as a staple, and I'm proud to say so.

Back