So what's with Rosalina recently?

Deception said:
portal, mirrors edge, half life, dino d day, ecco the dolphin, jp trespasser, jp the game, all have amazing and complex plots without being m rated, and this is just listing some of my favorites

well there are plenty out there, kinda funny that rpgs dont have the best plots in gaming.

Since I'm pretty much a Mario-only person SPM will always have the best videogame plot to me. Unless there comes a better one. Better start praying.

there are plenty of nintendo games with better plots than spm. try those.

Niime said:
It is extremely difficult for me to get into game series I'm not already into. It took me a looong time to transition to Mario games from Spongebob games.

Niime said:
As long as other RPG series of Nintendo have different markets, we may try but it doesn't mean Mario RPGs can't do better (see that Sticker Disaster), especially that so far most Mario RPG stories still lack of other recurring characters. Rosalina also had a good backstory in Galaxy, but doesn't get a better one in later games.

ernesth100 said:
Anyone see the origin of Rosalina?

She has a storybook in Galaxy

I think this sudden burst of popularity for Rosalina, in Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart 8 (even though she was a character in Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii) is a bit surprising, but at the same time, not entirely unexpected... After all, she's a really unique character, as far as the Mario series goes, mostly because she's one of the few characters whose backstory is actually explained and dived into. Most of the characters, and the Mario Bros. themselves, have pretty vague backstories, and even vaguer characterization. In the case of Rosalina, the vagueness kind of works to her advantage, as she's a very mystical figure, very otherworldly, which makes sense, seeing as she literally loves and nurtures baby stars into becoming plants, galaxies, and the like. Given all that, and that Nintendo really seems to grasp at straws when it comes to playable characters in spin-offs, it's no surprise that she'd be a prime candidate for them!

Still, seeing her playable in Super Mario 3D World is quite the shocker. Super Smash Bros., not so much, since there WERE people who wanted to see her playable in that game.

Smashgoom202 said:
Still, seeing her playable in Super Mario 3D World is quite the shocker. Super Smash Bros., not so much, since there WERE people who wanted to see her playable in that game.

I didn't want to see her before established and far more popular characters such as Toad though

There's also Bowser Jr., who has managed to make a name for himself since his debut in Super Mario Sunshine. But I guess the lack of an appearance in Super Mario 3D World probably works against him.

MnSG said:
There's also Bowser Jr., who has managed to make a name for himself since his debut in Super Mario Sunshine. But I guess the lack of an appearance in Super Mario 3D World probably works against him.
I admit, Bowser Jr. was on my supposed/expected wishlist, but honestly, I like Rosalina better. While there is potential for a uniqe moveset with Bowser Jr., with ninja-like moves, his paintbrush, and possibly chaning into Shadow Mario, Bowser Jr. really is an unimaginative character. Like, he's literally a mini-Bowser, Bowser as a kid, and nothing more... made worse by the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto said that he's Bowser's only son, and the Koopalings aren't really his kids.

Despite being around for a shorter time, we still got quite a bit out of Rosalina, such as her role in the Mario universe and her backstory. Some would say she hasn't quite paid her dues, but I think what appearances she DOES have has made up for it.

I still prefer Toad over Rosalina. Poor guy's been hiding under Peach's dress for too long

Smashgoom202 said:
I admit, Bowser Jr. was on my supposed/expected wishlist, but honestly, I like Rosalina better. While there is potential for a uniqe moveset with Bowser Jr., with ninja-like moves, his paintbrush, and possibly chaning into Shadow Mario, Bowser Jr. really is an unimaginative character. Like, he's literally a mini-Bowser, Bowser as a kid, and nothing more... made worse by the fact that Shigeru Miyamoto said that he's Bowser's only son, and the Koopalings aren't really his kids.

Despite being around for a shorter time, we still got quite a bit out of Rosalina, such as her role in the Mario universe and her backstory. Some would say she hasn't quite paid her dues, but I think what appearances she DOES have has made up for it.

Still, much like how Rosalina having a Luma by her side is exclusive to her, in Bowser Jr.'s case, his magic brush could easily implement an element that none of the other characters can use.

Baby Luigi said:
I still prefer Toad over Rosalina. Poor guy's been hiding under Peach's dress for too long
Yes, it's really miserable that he has got no playable appearance even though he's been in SMB games for a long time (regardless of Toadette.

MnSG said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Still, much like how Rosalina having a Luma by her side is exclusive to her, in Bowser Jr.'s case, his magic brush could easily implement an element that none of the other characters can use.
That's true, and if Bowser Jr. WERE chosen, I would have liked to see that. Again, I'm not saying Bowser Jr. would have been a bad choice, I'm just saying I'm not that upset with them picking Rosalina over him. While we could definitely use more villain characters, we could also use more female ones.

Baby Luigi said:

I don't know why Toad would want to come out from under Peach's dress.

I just...with Toad, I think he was next in line to be a new playable character, but they probably felt that there were not enough female fighters.

Daisy wouldn't cut it because there's already a palette swap of Peach that resembles her, and if they included her, it would be just a clone of Peach.

With Rosalina, I felt a big push was the fact that she was a female representative. I feel that they mostly put her in to give female gamers so more options in the female players. It's also why I think if another Kong is added, it'll be Dixie Kong before it'll be King K. Rool.

Back