Hyrule Warriors

Yes, so were all the other games shown. Heck, Nintendo managed to get their SSB logos designed before development started on the games, which shows their concern for standing out from the crowd when giving their first reveal. It shows professionalism, respect, and the fact that you actually care about your game.

The thing that's really getting me peeved is that people are only excusing it because of brand loyalty to LoZ and DW. If an Indie studio pulled that then they would never get a sale. Heck, even Indie studios that put so much time and effort into their trailers don't get noticed because they're overshadowed from games that put-no-effort-in-but-just-have-brand-loyalty. It's a slack effort and they should be critised for it, because if this is the effort they put into the first reveal of their game then it says things about how much effort they're putting into the game. It grinds my gears.

Like, I get that they may have run behind schedule and couldn't get a proper render in time. It happens. But you know what, they had a perfectly good Japanese title. Want to know a better, more professional-looking solution? Use the Japanese render, and use closed captions for the translated name. Simple, no added effort to what they already provided, but looks a whole lot snazzier (and also doesn't suggest that they haven't bothered with an English render). So why did they go with suck a slack effort when such a simple solution was right in front of them? That's what I want to know.

I don't know why they don't have a better title card right now but I honestly don't care. I got gameplay that shows me what the game is like and I got a name to call it by. I'm just going to let it slide since it really doesn't seem like a big deal that they didn't have a fancy looking logo to go with the trailer.

Are you like that with every game trailer or just this one because you're a fan of the series?

Meh, I'm not the biggest Link fan, but I'd wait until a better logo shows up. It is weird that we have a lazy English logo while the Japanese does look nice. I don't think this is worth complaining a lot about, though.

santanoice said:
Are you like that with every game trailer or just this one because you're a fan of the series?

Pretty much everything. I'm very passive with these things. As long as I get something out of it, I'll say it's good/decent. Unless I felt like it was waste of time. A 5 second portion of this video had text telling me the name, I payed more attention to everything else that was shown. I'm just glad they gave us a name to begin with.

santanoice said:
I actually saw that on Wikipedia shortly after but even that looks more impressive than the tacked-on English words.

The point is that they had literally a minute to convince people to buy their game over all over games and they went with the tackiest way of presenting something and it's just not good enough.
So basically people aren't going to buy it because of an early pr thing made probably a year before the game is released yep that's not fucking stupid or anything

Fearless Fosdick said:
santanoice said:
I actually saw that on Wikipedia shortly after but even that looks more impressive than the tacked-on English words.

The point is that they had literally a minute to convince people to buy their game over all over games and they went with the tackiest way of presenting something and it's just not good enough.
So basically people aren't going to buy it because of an early pr thing made probably a year before the game is released yep that's not fucking stupid or anything

thank you.

Besides, it's going to be most likely in Japan first and then later US/Europe, so they have time.

Fearless Fosdick said:
So basically people aren't going to buy it because of an early pr thing made probably a year before the game is released yep that's not *bleep*ing stupid or anything
No, they made a dumb decision because this was their chance to sell their game with a great first impression and they blew it. Presentation is an extremely important thing, and it isn't stupid at all to put some effort into it. For instance, if you had to hire an employee and had to make a choice between two people with exact qualifications but one looked like they'd just woken up and the other one was groomed and suited up, then you're probably going to choose the latter because their presentation has demonstrated that they put effort in, and it is the same deal here.

I never said people weren't going to buy this because of it, I said a game without the fanbase (such as an Indie title) that this one has would be completely passed up for doing the same, even if it ended up being equal or better quality when it is released. That's really frustrating because it means the sales aren't based on quality, they're based on the size of their following, and what's worse is you guys are falling into the trap. You are excusing what is essentially a half-arsed effort to sell you their work, which also suggests that they could produce a half-arsed game and you would still buy it and excuse it due to its name alone. How is that not "*bleeping* stupid or anything?"

They can still make a comeback with a better trailer in the future, and of course produce a really good game (which I really hope they do), but it doesn't change the fact that they completely blew the moment of the trailer which was meant to give the viewer a good, lasting impression, which is a massive shame. It was just a dumb decision and they should have done better. Lets hope they take the criticism on board and produce something better in the future.

On another note, it turns out it people are starting to spoof it now:
tumblr_my1lthGzdv1sl5pypo1_500.png

Speak for yourself.

Me and the others in this thread got a great first impression. Link was whooping that ass, I don't care about some stupid logo.

Travis Touchdown said:
Speak for yourself.

Me and the others in this thread got a great first impression. Link was whooping that ass, I don't care about some stupid logo.

Yeah that's the only thing that matters

This is just like judging a book based on its cover. A PRE-RELEASE beta cover.

Yeah... my first impression wasn't that title, but what was going on after the title. The title is only part of the whole impression; in fact, I think the gameplay leaves a much stronger impression, because again, that's probably what most people remember.

I didn't even know there was a crappy title card thingy before santanoice mentioned it. Either way, it isn't affecting my view of Hyrule Warriors.

Me and a mate were discussing it earlier and now I really want to keep the 'name not final' tag in it

Duskull said:
Me and a mate were discussing it earlier and now I really want to keep the 'name not final' tag in it

That would be a pretty ridiculous juxtaposition for a title like this

santanoice said:
I said a game without the fanbase (such as an Indie title) that this one has would be completely passed up for doing the same, even if it ended up being equal or better quality when it is released. That's really frustrating because it means the sales aren't based on quality, they're based on the size of their following, and what's worse is you guys are falling into the trap. You are excusing what is essentially a half-arsed effort to sell you their work, which also suggests that they could produce a half-arsed game and you would still buy it and excuse it due to its name alone.

Well, it's worked for the last 32 years. I see your point, but the fact is that with a company like Nintendo, first impressions aren't as important as they are for independent developers, at least as far as software is concerned (the first impression people got when the Wii U was announced, for example, was either that they already had it or that it was some upgrade for what they already had, and that's fucking the company over, since it's not doing enough to dispel that). Aside from longevity, what Nintendo has going for it is that games made in-house tend to be of good quality. Games might turn out to be shit, but the expectation that they'll be shit is rarely there (among members of the fanbase).

You know, Nintendo's been neglecting quite a few games lately. While Mario Golf was given some spotlight a few months ago, both this and Yarn Yoshi haven't been mentioned for ages at this point. Almost feels like this has been cancelled, but I'm not banking on anything just yet.

It was only revealed in December, it'll probably get some spotlight in the next direct or E3.

Glaceon said:
You know, Nintendo's been neglecting quite a few games lately. While Mario Golf was given some spotlight a few months ago, both this and Yarn Yoshi haven't been mentioned for ages at this point. Almost feels like this has been cancelled, but I'm not banking on anything just yet.

Don't forget SMT X Fire Emblem and X

I believe in the last direct, at least the British version, there was gameplay footage of X. Unless you're referring to their being a massive info drought for that game at one point.

You're Thirteen said:
New title announced in the Nintendo Direct for the Wii U. Revealed to be a cross between the Zelda and Warriors franchises. I really like the look of it.
you mean the cat book series

Misty said:
You're Thirteen said:
New title announced in the Nintendo Direct for the Wii U. Revealed to be a cross between the Zelda and Warriors franchises. I really like the look of it.
you mean the cat book series
Oh wow, people here read that. Nice, but they mean the video game series.

Contra(dictory) said:
I'm busy nerding out over the small details.

This rendition of Hyrule closely resembles OoT's, but Castle Town and Hyrule Castle itself have both expanded greatly...this puts it between OoT and WW/TP in the timeline, if it's a canon game. This version of Link, whether it's a new one (which I'm vouching for, note the lack of the Master Sword) or Adult Link from either Adult or Child timeline, is wearing a pimping scarf that seems to denote a command ranking, because those Hylian soldiers are clearly fighting on his side.

So I'm thinking this General Link, as I'm going to call him, is this outrageous badass Link-at-War against the forces of the perpetual evil that seems to be in Hyrule.

I think it will probably be outside of canon; I've heard it might not even have a story but I hope it does. It's art style is very similar to OoT as you pointed out which made me nostalgic as! It does seem ridiculous but only in an awesome kinda way not to over the top, I think it will suffer without a storyline though.

So this is what I want from this game.

I believe that in the Dynasty Warriors games there are multiple characters to choose from. (don't quote me on that, I'm just going by memory)

So I think it'd be super cool if we had more options for characters other than Link, each with their own abilities! :D

Personally, I think if we went for like a 14 character roster these would be cool picks:

Link
Zelda
Sheik
Impa
Fi
Ganondorf
Ghirahim
Groose
Midna
Skull Kid
Nabooru
Ruto
Darunia
Saria

I didn't choose any characters from 2D or the more Toon-styled games so it would fit in with the game's style.

But I think it'd be pretty cool. Darunia could use earth-based goron attacks. Ruto could use water-based attacks. Nabooru could use a Sand Rod and sword or something. Saria would revolve around music and the ocarina. Skull Kid could use Majora's Mask. Midna her big hand thing. Groose, maybe bombs or something. Ghirahim would be sword, knives, and various magic. Ganondorf would be powerful punch attacks as well as sword and magic attacks. Fi would use more majestic moves, very graceful and dance-like. Impa would use quick slashes and other quick Sheikah attacks. Sheik would work similar to Smash with the chains and the needles and the agility. Zelda would use the light arrows as her primary weapon along with other magic attacks. And Link would just be your standard, all-around player.

I haven't really payed attention to this game so that could be way off, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

New Super Mario said:
So this is what I want from this game.

I believe that in the Dynasty Warriors games there are multiple characters to choose from. (don't quote me on that, I'm just going by memory)

So I think it'd be super cool if we had more options for characters other than Link, each with their own abilities! :D

Personally, I think if we went for like a 14 character roster these would be cool picks:

Link
Zelda
Sheik
Impa
Fi
Ganondorf
Ghirahim
Groose
Midna
Skull Kid
Nabooru
Ruto
Darunia
Saria

I didn't choose any characters from 2D or the more Toon-styled games so it would fit in with the game's style.

But I think it'd be pretty cool. Darunia could use earth-based goron attacks. Ruto could use water-based attacks. Nabooru could use a Sand Rod and sword or something. Saria would revolve around music and the ocarina. Skull Kid could use Majora's Mask. Midna her big hand thing. Groose, maybe bombs or something. Ghirahim would be sword, knives, and various magic. Ganondorf would be powerful punch attacks as well as sword and magic attacks. Fi would use more majestic moves, very graceful and dance-like. Impa would use quick slashes and other quick Sheikah attacks. Sheik would work similar to Smash with the chains and the needles and the agility. Zelda would use the light arrows as her primary weapon along with other magic attacks. And Link would just be your standard, all-around player.

I haven't really payed attention to this game so that could be way off, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.
Great roster! ;)

Back