My stance on the New Super Mario Bros. games

i actually found the first two to not be so bad, sure i didnt care much for the visuals or music.

but the rest of it didnt seem too bad. I also thought nsmbu had some pretty good throw backs to smw though, which i found very neat.

Overall i dont really care for the series, but some of the other older smb games have their own flaws.

Although i must confess i have huge love for smw for its rather impressive platforming engine and some of the levels were pretty neato.

Well, platformers today for Mario are all about spoon-feeding the players. It's gotten better about it with NSMBU and SM3DW, but back then it was like "die as many times as you need to in order to figure out how to advance" while today it's like "die 5 times and then here's a game-breaking item to just get you to the end".

I can understand why SMW might be hard in comparison to many platformers today. Level's like Champion's Road really show how hard the game can be if they didn't put in all the cushions that they do in the game, and just image a game where the difficulty level is around that area the entire time.

I find the old games better with platforming is not because of nostalgia (hell, I played those after the newer stuff), but just because you actually felt like each time you get farther, you feel like you accomplished something, not just relying on all the cushions thrown at you today. I mean, there are still fun levels in the latest platformers and all, but it's just a bit too easy to find all the stuff you need.

Couldn't have said that better myself.

Well...I think the modern games are much better because of the successful simultaneous multiplayer. I mean, isn't this how Mario is supposed to be like? Having a party time in a magical lands filled with random floating blocks and mushroom men? You're not supposed to take it seriously.

If by party time you mean kill my best friends because lol then yes

Kleptoad said:
If by party time you mean kill my best friends because lol then yes

Yes that's what I mean

It's so funny to toss my sis off a cliff

As much as I love the Mario series. I do have to admit that they're overdoing it with the New Super Mario Bros. games. I really hope it doesn't turn into the next Call of Duty (though I doubt it will)

Deku Link said:
Well, platformers today for Mario are all about spoon-feeding the players. It's gotten better about it with NSMBU and SM3DW, but back then it was like "die as many times as you need to in order to figure out how to advance" while today it's like "die 5 times and then here's a game-breaking item to just get you to the end".

I can understand why SMW might be hard in comparison to many platformers today. Level's like Champion's Road really show how hard the game can be if they didn't put in all the cushions that they do in the game, and just image a game where the difficulty level is around that area the entire time.

I find the old games better with platforming is not because of nostalgia (hell, I played those after the newer stuff), but just because you actually felt like each time you get farther, you feel like you accomplished something, not just relying on all the cushions thrown at you today. I mean, there are still fun levels in the latest platformers and all, but it's just a bit too easy to find all the stuff you need.

So, you think checkpoints, the main lacking thing in Champion's Run, are "cushions"? I don't know man, but people love checkpoints in their games. Removing all checkpoints is a cheap way to increase a game's difficulty.

Please Gold Star all levels in Kirby Mass Attack and you'll know the importance of checkpoints, and their absence is a strong feeling. Mass Attack is a good game, but... long levels and no Kirby can take damage, plus no checkpoints? Give me a break. Oh, and play some Rayman Origins and Legends to see the benefits of lots of checkpoints.

does anyone else here actually think that harder does not equal better

Well, I feel it can be either way or in between and still be fun. However, they have their pros and cons.

A challenging game like New Super Mario Bros, or Sunshine can be fun to play, especially for people looking for a challenge, but casuals are likely to shy away from games like that. A moderately difficult game like Super Mario 3D World can be fun, but people who want a real challenge may back away from it. However, it may draw in casuals and people not looking for a really difficult game. An easy game like Kirby's Adventure or Dreamland would really draw in casuals and people not looking for a difficult game, but people looking for challenge would likely back away from it.

However, people who don't care about the difficulty in a game like me would be drawn into any of these games

Tauriel said:

Yes, I do.

I personally enjoy games that are difficult or have a high learning curve such as RTS and space flight games, but I recognize that many people simply don't have the patience or the time to pick up these genres.

Regardless, everyone should take the time to at least try to learn to play an RTS or space flight game, because you might suddenly discover you really enjoy this new genre.

Dr. Javelin said:
I personally enjoy games that are difficult or have a high learning curve such as RTS and space flight games, but I recognize that many people simply don't have the patience or the time to pick up these genres.

Regardless, everyone should take the time to at least try to learn to play an RTS or space flight game, because you might suddenly discover you really enjoy this new genre.

The only experience I really had with RTS is playing Starcraft with cheats on ._. (yeah I was young)

It's okay to cheat when you're young.

Many fun times were had when I was messing around with cheat codes in Age of Empires II or Warcraft III.

Well, I might as well give one of my experiences with replaying NSMB on DS. When I replayed it, I noticed how fun it was and I looked back at my memories of beating the game. Also, I feel a sense of precision platforming whenever I play it..

I don't have that many memories of NSMBWii since I cheated through the game with the Super Guide, but I do have to say that it expanded on the first game tremendously. I introduced a lot of new things, even recycled ideas are still new to me since I never grew up with the games they originated from.

I can't wait to play New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. The overworld, levels and everything look spectacular and seem as if they will be a blast to play through, especially with the extra modes.

Tauriel said:

Didn't I imply that? Lack of checkpoints makes a game harder, but not more enjoyable.

I think there should be no lives or time limit in Mario games, as that makes me feel rushed to complete the level. With Rayman, it's about taking your time and trying as many times as you need. I guess that's why I had a more fun time with Rayman Legends than New Super Mario Bros. U.

Giga12 said:
I think there should be no lives or time limit in Mario games, as that makes me feel rushed to complete the level. With Rayman, it's about taking your time and trying as many times as you need. I guess that's why I had a more fun time with Rayman Legends than New Super Mario Bros. U.

Yesyesyesyes

Finally somebody who compares Rayman Legends to New Super Mario Bros. U that isn't me.

Smaug said:
I knew you'ld be excited. I've never had a problem with time.

Me neither. In my opinion, the timer keeps players from dwadling and messing around on a level.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
Tauriel said:
Didn't I imply that? Lack of checkpoints makes a game harder, but not more enjoyable.
missed that implication

chillv said:
Smaug said:

Me neither. In my opinion, the timer keeps players from dwadling and messing around on a level.
Only problem with that is if you're a completionist and you're exploring every nook and cranny for whatever it is, and then you run out of time.

Duskull said:
chillv said:
Smaug said:

Only problem with that is if you're a completionist and you're exploring every nook and cranny for whatever it is, and then you run out of time.
Yeah, but I just find what I can find and go back to the level after I beat the game or when I am stuck.

Back