Do you think the Mario Party series needs a reboot?

Do you think the Mario Party series needs a reboot?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
I think I'll have to play 6 then.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
The first three Mario Parties are overrated. Mario Party 6 is the best one.

I do agree that the first one is overrated (losing 5 Coins every time you lose a mini-game, the Control Stick rotating mini-games, etc) but 2 and 3 deserve all the praise they get.

Glaceon said:

Easily one of the most agreeable things I've ever read here.

Yeah we've played those recently and still don't understand why they're any better than the GCN ones.

I think it's nostalgia *shrugs*

being honest i mainly liked mp2 due to the costumes.

although i admit that 4 is certainly better.

Princess Zae said:
being honest i mainly liked mp2 due to the costumes.

I wish they brought that back. Those were awesome.

Even if Mario Party 8 wasn't that bad, it had the classic formula that I could at least play. I would have bought Mario Party 9 if they offered a classic mode with 2v2 and 1v3 minigames.

MC Ballyhoo said:
No, the characters have no distinct personalities(they're easily frightened; even Mario), Daisy is a clone of Peach(same animations), and a bunch of other reasons i forgot.

What the ---- are you talking about

Oh, so why is every other spin-off exempt from this, even if they have the same "problems"?

Baby Luigi said:
MC Ballyhoo said:
No, the characters have no distinct personalities(they're easily frightened; even Mario), Daisy is a clone of Peach(same animations), and a bunch of other reasons i forgot.

What the ---- are you talking about

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :'D But I agree, WTF? What does that have to do with the fact that Mario Party sucks?

Anser said:

I do agree that the first one is overrated (losing 5 Coins every time you lose a mini-game, the Control Stick rotating mini-games, etc) but 2 and 3 deserve all the praise they get.

No, they don't.

In contrast to the later Mario Parties, the mini-game amount is stark, and a fraction of that are item minigames and Game Guy's ****, which further dwindles the library. Some minigames aren't my type, especially those that require good grasp of fleeting memory (such as the Beat Goes On, Messy Memory), and there is way less of it in the later Mario Parties. Also, you get mini-games such as Tick Tock Hop where the later Mario Parties do a better job (such as Burnstile). The controls for the characters are worse than the newer Mario Parties because characters accelerate slower (noticeable in All Fired Up) (in later Mario Parties, you can move instantly without having to build up speed).

Other minigames are boring or numbing your thumbs. These include Cheep Cheep Chase, Rockin' Raceway, Tidal Toss, Hand, Line and Sinker, Ridiculous Relay (the Skeeter part), Thwomp Pull, and Puddle Paddle. I'm not saying that the minigames are bad at Mario Party 3, and every Mario Party has its share of bad minigames, but Mario Party 3 isn't that cracked up when it comes to great minigames.

Memorable minigames are Aces High (although Mario Mechs from Mario Party 5 is superior in nearly every way), Water Whirled (just a typical racing game; Raft Riot from DS is a bit more interesting), Pipe Cleaners, Spotlight Swim, Eatsa Pizza (typical button mashing, but the presentation is hilarious, so maybe that's why people love it), Picking Panic, Motor Rooter (Cosmic Slalom from Mario Party 8 does a way better job, though), Eye Sore, and Snowball Summit.

Toadstool Titan has potential, but it's a luck-based game with little depth. It looks fun at a glance, but it turned out to be one of my least favorite minigames.

Plus, Koopa Bank. Koopa Bank is POS.

I'm just talking about Mario Party 3 right now.

I highly laud Mario Party 3's item system; it's brilliant how there are two different types of item shops holding both useful items, and there is such a great variety of items. Orbs have more, but there aren't any Orbs that give you access to the shops any time, Orbs that force a Bowser Time on someone, Orbs that make you go backward, Orbs that force Game Guy minigames on victims... wow.

td;lr: Mario Party 3 has great items and generally O.K. minigames, but on the retrospect, it's inferior to Mario Party 4, 5, and 6.

Anser said:
What does that have to do with the fact that Mario Party sucks?

I enjoy Mario Party games more than I will ever enjoy both Super Mario Galaxies combined.

Anser said:

No, they don't.

In contrast to the later Mario Parties, the mini-game amount is stark, and a fraction of that are item minigames and Game Guy's ****, which further dwindles the library. Some minigames aren't my type, especially those that require good grasp of fleeting memory (such as the Beat Goes On, Messy Memory), and there is way less of it in the later Mario Parties. Also, you get mini-games such as Tick Tock Hop where the later Mario Parties do a better job (such as Burnstile). The controls for the characters are worse than the newer Mario Parties because characters accelerate slower (noticeable in All Fired Up) (in later Mario Parties, you can move instantly without having to build up speed).

Other minigames are boring or numbing your thumbs. These include Cheep Cheep Chase, Rockin' Raceway, Tidal Toss, Hand, Line and Sinker, Ridiculous Relay (the Skeeter part), Thwomp Pull, and Puddle Paddle. I'm not saying that the minigames are bad at Mario Party 3, and every Mario Party has its share of bad minigames, but Mario Party 3 isn't that cracked up when it comes to great minigames.

Memorable minigames are Aces High (although Mario Mechs from Mario Party 5 is superior in nearly every way), Water Whirled (just a typical racing game; Raft Riot from DS is a bit more interesting), Pipe Cleaners, Spotlight Swim, Eatsa Pizza (typical button mashing, but the presentation is hilarious, so maybe that's why people love it), Picking Panic, Motor Rooter (Cosmic Slalom from Mario Party 8 does a way better job, though), Eye Sore, and Snowball Summit.

Toadstool Titan has potential, but it's a luck-based game with little depth. It looks fun at a glance, but it turned out to be one of my least favorite minigames.

Plus, Koopa Bank. Koopa Bank is POS.

I'm just talking about Mario Party 3 right now.

I highly laud Mario Party 3's item system; it's brilliant how there are two different types of item shops holding both useful items, and there is such a great variety of items. Orbs have more, but there aren't any Orbs that give you access to the shops any time, Orbs that force a Bowser Time on someone, Orbs that make you go backward, Orbs that force Game Guy minigames on victims... wow.

td;lr: Mario Party 3 has great items and generally O.K. minigames, but on the retrospect, it's inferior to Mario Party 4, 5, and 6.

Anser said:
What does that have to do with the fact that Mario Party sucks?

I enjoy Mario Party games more than I will ever enjoy both Super Mario Galaxies combined.

Well, you actually have some strong points there. I guess that I like Mario Party 3 based mostly on nostalgia. I think you didn't get the last part, though. I was asking the banned user what the f*** have the characters' personalities to do with the fact that the Mario Party series sucks now. The question wasn't directed at you :P

Well, you did say that Mario Party sucks, so I took that statement as the series as a whole.

The later games suck, but I spent more time on Mario Party 2-DS more than I spent on Galaxy, and I will likely be returning to those Mario Parties again in the future.

I don't mind dissenting opinions. I'm just providing reasons I don't see how Mario Party 3 is so great.

Yeah, I know, I was just being a moron. I like the boards of 5 and above more than the ones in 3 but I just can't remember much about the mini-games of the other games like I do MP3. Sure, there were some pretty bad mini-games in the mix but I enjoyed a majority of them immensely in comparison to the newer games where I enjoy about 30-40% of them and don't like the rest.

I just like all the Mario Party's though... eh, except maybe 4, that one really doesn't do it for me. Lackluster boards, boring and unmemorable mini-games, so fucking slow. I can still play it occasionally but if you ask what the one I hate the most is, then it will be that one for sure... at least until I get my hands on Island Tour.

Crackin355 said:
Yeah, I know, I was just being a moron. I like the boards of 5 and above more than the ones in 3 but I just can't remember much about the mini-games of the other games like I do MP3. Sure, there were some pretty bad mini-games in the mix but I enjoyed a majority of them immensely in comparison to the newer games where I enjoy about 30-40% of them and don't like the rest.

I just like all the Mario Party's though... eh, except maybe 4, that one really doesn't do it for me. Lackluster boards, boring and unmemorable mini-games, so fucking slow. I can still play it occasionally but if you ask what the one I hate the most is, then it will be that one for sure... at least until I get my hands on Island Tour.

Why would you want to spend your money on something you know you're going to hate?

Giga12 said:
I'm guessing Crackin has a lot of money.

Nah, I haven't bought a game myself in about 4 months because I don't have the money for them. I did get christmas games but I didn't pay for them, because they were presents.

Anser said:
Crackin355 said:

Why would you want to spend your money on something you know you're going to hate?

I don't know, I think I explained it a while ago somewhere but even if the game is called horrible I like to try it myself to make my own judgement. That and if it at least gives me a couple of hours of fun then it's worth it, because really, I just buy games for that exact reason. It doesn't bother me that I might be missing out on an infinitely better game, because I don't know how much I would enjoy it because I haven't played it. It's just ignorance and I know that, but ignorance is bliss. Also keep in mind that I enjoyed Sticker Star a lot despite all the hate it received, so I don't see listening to people talk about how terrible this game is as proof that it will be so bad.

I think Mario Party 3 probably has one of the most fine-tuned board gameplay of the games. There were many clever items that could be used for strategic purposes.

But alot of the mini-games leave something to be desired. It's easier to have multiple draws in Mario Party 3 then it is on most other games. And it's especially frustrating if it gets to the minigame with the drums and you press it in a pattern. If at least two people or all players survive. They should both/all win coins instead of wasting a few minutes for nothing.

Back