THE US GOVERNMENT HAS SHUT DOWN

キノピオ八十五 said:
Who decides when the critical mass is, though?

i think you could just make it happen automatically

So the Republicans have enough power in the government to stop the health care law from being funded, but not enough power to repeal it? How government works is all really confusing.

Screw goverment.

Pokemon X and Y are the most upcoming important thing.

(then again I am venezuelan so I can't speak for ya guys)

Dr. Javelin said:
Purple Yoshi said:
Well, the Queen is higher than the Governor-General. In fact, they're appointed by the Queen.
are you seriously suggesting that monarchy is anything other than a bad system

I'd like to hear how terrible monarchy is, actually.

Dr. Javelin said:
Purple Yoshi said:
Well, the Queen is higher than the Governor-General. In fact, they're appointed by the Queen.
It worked for Germany

Radagast the Brown said:
seems to work out pretty well for us from what I've seen
Because of all the queens power you know the power that's never been taken away before

I'm not saying the Australian system is superior, hell no. You should see what happened in our last election. We have members in the Senate from the Australian Sports Party and the Motoring Enthusiasts Party. And these parties don't have many members in them. We also have Clive Palmer in parliament. He's this rich mining magnate who wants to build the Titanic II and a Jurassic Park theme park. And he started his own party.

キノピオ八十五 said:
Purple Yoshi said:
You guys really need a Govenor-General. Someone who can have a higher power than the President in emergencies like these.

IDK about you, but to me that sounds like power just begging to be abused.
IDK Quentin Bryce has appeared to be nothing but fair since she was put in the role.

Purple Yoshi said:
I'm not saying the Australian system is superior, hell no. You should see what happened in our last election. We have members in the Senate from the Australian Sports Party and the Motoring Enthusiasts Party. And these parties don't have many members in them. We also have Clive Palmer in parliament. He's this rich mining magnate who wants to build the Titanic II and a Jurassic Park theme park. And he started his own party.
I put this more down to the voters being ignorant of where their votes are going, or simply not voting below the line. Having said that, I'm still not sure why everyone bitches about Clive Palmer because he actually has some decent policies (bar wanting to get rid of the carbon tax). Free university? Hell yeah I'm down for that.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Purple Yoshi said:

monarchy is terrible because of the way queen elisabeth is always getting kidnapped by giant turtles

duh

Shoutmon said:
Dr. Lucien Sanchez said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Purple Yoshi said:

monarchy is terrible because of the way queen elisabeth is always getting kidnapped by giant turtles

duh
yeah, I really hate it when that happens.

Dr. Lucien Sanchez said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Purple Yoshi said:
Why is it a good idea to put all the power of a country in the hands of one human being? One flawed human being?

Unless you can find a perfect human, monarchies will always suffer in some way because of the monarch's faults as a human. Ranging from negligence to tyranny. At its worst, one person is happy while every single other person feels horrible.

I mean, it's not like democracy doesn't have the same problems, but at least 51% of the people get their way instead of just one.

Dr. Javelin said:
Why is it a good idea to put all the power of a country in the hands of one human being? One flawed human being?

Unless you can find a perfect human, monarchies will always suffer in some way because of the monarch's faults as a human. Ranging from negligence to tyranny. At its worst, one person is happy while every single other person feels horrible.

Everyone has a few minor flaws. You don't need to be 'perfect' to be a responsible leader, and, if you are negligent or tyrannical, people aren't exactly going to like you and you're going to get overthrown. You seem to think everything's always going to be at its worst, but it very rarely has been.

Dr. Javelin said:
I mean, it's not like democracy doesn't have the same problems, but at least 51% of the people get their way instead of just one.

I don't know if I can speak for anywhere else with a monarchy, but here the people certainly have a say in what happens. The Queen can't make laws, enforce them, raise taxes etc. She does have some large powers, but doesn't use them much at all anymore, and it's unlikely she will unless it's absolutely neccessary. Parliament and the government have a lot of power too (you could argue even more than the Queen these days), and they're made up of representatives chosen by the people. Also, through referendums and stuff (which are being used a lot more recently), the people can have their say on a certain issue, which nowadays is more commonly something constitutional. Also, who says the people are responsible enough for this? Or even want to be responsible?

Dr. Javelin said:
at least 51% of the people get their way instead of just one.

he says, as 90% of the u.s. population hopes for an end to the government shutdown

we should have like a national holiday where for just one week the nation gets to toy around with different forms of government

you know, like one year we could be a monarchy

then the next year a communist state

then the next year a loose, anarchist society

then the next year a direct democracy

it'll be fun, see?

Shoutmon said:
Dr. Javelin said:
at least 51% of the people get their way instead of just one.

he says, as 90% of the u.s. population hopes for an end to the government shutdown
well then let's revolt and throw our congressmen out of office

or better yet, wait til 2014 and then elect a third party because both parties are stupid

might i suggest the libertarian party

Dr. Javelin said:
well then let's revolt and throw our congressmen out of office

or better yet, wait til 2014 and then elect a third party because both parties are stupid

might i suggest the libertarian party
tS4fvjW.jpg

If this isn't settled by this Thursday, the United States will default on it's debt for the first time in history, and it will badly hurt the world economy, and damage America as the leading world super power. So yeah... this situation isn't good.

This is actually really hard to believe for someone who doesn't live there. Congress is risking default for what? A healthcare bill? It seems so unbelievable, especially because no one is backing down.

Does Congress always have mixed majorities like this? Or is it just the fact that your election was very close?

Purple Yoshi said:
This is actually really hard to believe for someone who doesn't live there. Congress is risking default for what? A healthcare bill? It seems so unbelievable, especially because no one is backing down.

Does Congress always have mixed majorities like this? Or is it just the fact that your election was very close?
This is happening because of Separation of Powers/Checks & Balances. The United States has 3 branches of Government: The Executive (Democrat) Legislative (One House of Congress, the Senate, is narrowly Democratic, and the other House of Congress, the House of Representatives, is overwhelmingly Republican) and the Judicial (The Supreme Court did narrowly uphold the constitutionality of the health reform law). Basically, Congress is deadlocked (The House of Reps. and the Senate will not reach an agreement). Even if the Senate did repeal the health care law, which it is a few votes shy of doing, Obama would veto it, so there is no getting rid of it while Obama is president no matter what the Republicans try to do, unless they make the Democrats narrowly controlling the Senate break first and pass a spending bill without funding the Obamacare. That, in a nutshell, is what is going on.

Are the House of Representatives and the Senate usually controlled by different parties, or is this just a one-off thing?

Purple Yoshi said:
Are the House of Representatives and the Senate usually controlled by different parties, or is this just a one-off thing?
In the Mid 90's the House of Representatives and the Senate were both Republican thanks to Newt Gingrich and the '94 Republican Revolution. But the government still shutdown sometime in that era because the PRESIDENT was Democratic (Bill Clinton). The shutdown was over balancing the budget. Bush had a Republican majority for most of his presidency but in 2006 the Democrats took control of both the Senate and the House of Rep heavily but they did not pass anything major new because Bush was president and there is rarely enough votes to override a presidential veto. But in 2010, with a Democrat president, senate, and house of rep, they got through Obamacare during a lameduck congress. The voters in 2010 were not happy about the law, so the Republicans won major victories in the 2010 midterm and in 2012 (except they lost the presidency Obama got reelected)

Back