Why Twilight Princess is overrated

NSY

Celestial Guide
While I did enjoy playing this game, I thought this game had no charm. It was by far my least favorite 3D Zelda game and did not deserve 9s out 10s from everyone because this game had a lot of problems.

All the characters have weird design with either none or an annoying personality (Midna and Yeto being the only exceptions). I cannot care for them at all. All of them expect for the three just speck the same, you won't be able to tell who they are. In Majora's Mask all the characters were different and had different feelings. Not here, no character in this game gives a damn about saving the world. Illa tried to play the role as Link's girlfriend but turned out to be nothing but generic. Then we have Colin wanted to be brave but we saw no development in that. Heck Zelda showed up three times throughout the game and was not really mentioned outside her appearances, isn't this game supposed be about her? Don't even try to get me started on Zant, no ones gets how he went from being a threatening badass villain to a guy who looks like he drunk too much. Midna is the only good character in this entire game, she is somehow entertaining and is the only character who develops throughout the game.

Combat sucks as well. You won't die at all in this game because most enemies only take a quarter of a heart away and you have to put effort into making that happen because a lot of enemies like run right up to you and pray for you to kill them. You won't even need to use those hidden skills you learn from because (expect for the back slice) because there are no effective enemies to use most of these skills on and if you do, it turns out to be a waste of time.

The dungeons are good at best but terrible at worst (ugh Lakebed Temple). These places are longer and more linear than any other game in the series, while some do have you going back to a main room, most of them just send you on a long boring trek. Some of them are simple and easy dungeons that like to torture you by dragging on and on. I'll go though each dungeon in a later post because they vary in quality.

Bosses are too easy, they may be epic and fun to fight but if use your brain you notice some of the bosses don't even try to attack (looking at you Morpheel). Most of them pop out of nowhere as well, we get no origin of these beasts at all, it's not even funny. You were just slaying random monsters that don't even have a brain. The only bosses I found an enjoyable challenge were Blizzeta and Zant even though the latter was likely on drugs. Ganondorf was a joke of final boss. First phase, tennis that was nowhere near as epic as the OoT one. Second phase, easy. Third phase, annoying. Forth phase, disappointing. It was shame because the build up was so epic. Some of the final bosses were epic and fun to fight but that doesn't make up for how easy it was.

Don't get me wrong, Twilight Princess is a good 7.5/10 game. The overworld is massive, the Wolf Form was well done and some of the dungeons were fun. It just doesn't live up to how good other games were. Thank god Skyward Sword fixed most of this games problems.

(yes this was the thread i somehow submitted before i was done)

I like a good rant. Let me contribute.

NSY said:
All the characters have weird design with either none or an annoying personality (Midna and Yeto being the only exceptions). I cannot care for them at all. All of them expect for the three just speck the same, you won't be able to tell who they are. In Majora's Mask all the characters were different and had different feelings. Not here, no character in this game gives a damn about saving the world. Illa tried to play the role as Link's girlfriend but turned out to be nothing but generic. Then we have Colin wanted to be brave but we saw no development in that. Heck Zelda showed up three times throughout games and was barley mentioned outside her appearances, isn't this game supposed be about her? Don't even try to get me started on Zant, no ones gets how went from being a threatening badass villain to a guy who looks like he drunk too much. Midna is the only good character in this entire game, she is somehow entertaining and is the only character who develops throughout the game.
Zelda sort of wants to save the world, or at least just her kingdom. Link wants to help more Midna than Zelda, and Midna just wants to become ruler of Twilight realm. I suppose Midna is the only character that developes, but, there's usually not much developement of characters in video games.

NSY said:
Combat sucks as well. You won't die at all in this game because most enemies only take a quarter of a heart away and you have to put effort into making that happen because a lot of enemies like run right up to you and pray for you to kill them. You won't even need to use those hidden skills you learn from because (expect for the back slice) because there are no effective enemies to use most of these skills on and if you do, it turns out to be a waste of time.
I totally disagree with you on this one. I think Twilight Princess was the best Zelda game for combat. I found those hidden skills extremely useful. Too bad most of those moves aren't in Skyward Sword.

NSY said:
The dungeons are good at best but terrible at worst (ugh Lakebed Temple). These places are longer and more linear than any other game in the series, while some do have you going back to a main room, most of them just send you on a long boring trek. Some of them are simple and easy dungeons that like to torture you by dragging on and on. I'll go though each dungeon in a later post because they vary in quality.
I guess we have a difference of opinion when it comes to the Temples. I liked those treks a lot. Gave it a challenge, and sometimes a mighty good one. The Snow Mansion was probably the most unique one, as it is actually a home.

NSY said:
Bosses are too easy, they may be epic and fun to fight but if use your brain you notice some of the bosses don't even try to attack (looking at you Morpheel). Most of them pop out of nowhere as well, we get no origin of these beasts at all, it's not even funny. You were just slaying random monsters that don't even have a brain. The only bosses I found an enjoyable challenge were Blizzeta and Zant even though the latter was likely on drugs. Ganondorf was a joke of final boss. First phase, tennis that was nowhere near as epic as the OoT one. Second phase, easy. Third phase, annoying. Forth phase, disappointing. It was shame because the build up was so epic. Some of the final bosses were epic and fun to fight but that doesn't make up for how easy it was.
Yeah, I have to agree with you here. The majority of the bosses weren't really the best, and Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks had a much better set of bosses.

NSY said:
(yes this was the thread i somehow submitted before i was done)
LOL

well tp was pretty shitty in all that i can think of

visualy, audio, gameplay, design, etc.

seems nothing in that game i could even hope to enjoy, probably what made me skip out on the zelda franchise in general actually.

What I didn't like in Twilight Princess was (strangely enough) the dark tone. Everything in that game looked washed out and depressing. It made things a lot harder to spot. I think it made the game harder for me. For example, in the Lakebed Temple, you have to use bomb arrows to blow up these rocks on the ceiling, but I got stuck because I was shooting at the thin parts (which is what I thought would make sense, shooting the weaker areas), when I was supposed to shoot at the thick parts.

The dungeons lacked any sort of personality (mind you, I only played until Arbiter's Grounds). And I feel the dungeons were too long at times. Like in the Goron Mines, when you have to use the Iron Boots to walk across the ceiling reeeeaaallly slowly. It felt so tedious. Also, a lot of the items just felt underwhelming. What was the point of the slingshot? The other types of bombs that could have easily been incorporated into the ordinary bombs? The Hawkeye? The Spinner? (although that was fun to use)

The story was interesting, it's just a pity we never get any foreshadowing about the plot twists. Midna was interesting, though, and a LOT better than other companions. And I liked this version of Link. He felt pretty ordinary, and was also a bit of a badass.

It wasn't bad, and it wasn't even disappointing for me. I wasn't old enough to get hyped from the announcement. It was just...boring. It felt boring. And a bit soulless. Maybe it was because it was made almost entirely from the backlash from WW.

Purple Yoshi said:
(mind you, I only played until Arbiter's Grounds)

Can't blame you, Arbiter's Grounds was extremely boring and tedious. The only temples I liked in the game were the Temple of Time for the music and its simplicity and the Snowpeak Ruins for the ambiance, both of which were after the Arbiter's Grounds.

I didn't really enjoy Twilight princess that much. Although, I was young and had to use a guide for half of it. I might enjoy it more if I replay through it (except for the god damn Goron Mines. That iron boots clinging to the roof thing got old, fast).

I did enjoy Phantom Hourglass and Skyward Sword though.

the difficulty was pathetic, but some of the items were cool (read: BALL AND CHAIN) and the story was interesting and the gameplay was nice

don't see how it's a bad game in any way, just not quite as good as wind waker

i enjoyed playing twilight princess except for how easy every single boss was

see, I think the problem we all have here is that we keep on misusing the word "overrated"

if this game was overrated, a lot of people would still be talking about it

breaking bad is overrated

my little pony is overrated

snk is overrated

doesn't mean they're bad, just means that they're often rated really high all the time for no reason

ergo overrated

I don't think I've seen two people ever say "Twilight princess is the best game", and I rarely ever see anyone say "Twilight Princess is a damn good game"

it's often low rated from what I've seen

tl;dr you're describing why the game is bad, not why it is overrated

Radagast the Brown said:
see, I think the problem we all have here is that we keep on misusing the word "overrated"

if this game was overrated, a lot of people would still be talking about it

breaking bad is overrated
you apologize, right now
jk

I might point and some things that I really liked about this game because i don't want you guys leaving with me thinking I hate this game.

*Hyrule is massive and there's a lot too do
*Most locations capture the atmosphere amazingly, Lake Hylia in this game is beautiful
*The Twilight sections are actually enjoyable and have top notch atmosphere
*Some aspects of the story was interesting and was presented well
*Midna is entertaining and doesn't annoy you every five seconds
*Some of the dungeons were good, my favorites are the Arbiter's Grounds and the City in the Sky
*Some items were some of the best in the series, favorites being the Spinner, the Dominion Rod and the Double Clawshots
*A couple of bosses were fun to fight
*Some Puzzles were fun

It only partly makes up for the mediocre combat, bland characters, easy bosses and some boring temples. I still think it's the worst 3D Zelda and that if ever they remake this game, they need to fix some of the major issues for that are in this game.

Since when Twilight Princess is overrated? I've seen mixed and split views on this

Baby Luigi said:
Since when Twilight Princess is overrated? I've seen mixed and split views on this
Most reviewers given this game incredibly high scores
Evidence here

NSY said:
Baby Luigi said:
Most reviewers given this game incredibly high scores
Evidence here

I thought it had gotten a fair amount of 8/10s? Well, it got 95/100. It's a tad too high.

N-Gamer gave it 97%, though I've never read the actual review so I don't why

personally TP looks like a pretty cool game to me so i plan on getting it down le road after SS

I really liked Twilight Princess's art style, but that's about it. It's just really, really boring.

Actually, I honestly think that Twilight Princess is underrated by the Zelda fans.

I feel that it doesn't really get the respect it deserves just because "oh, there are only like 3 different shades of brown for the coloring" and that stuff. The plot was really good, it had a very dark atmosphere to it that should have satisfied many fans that wanted a "darker" game, it had a lot of dynamic characters and a lot of deep backgrounds on many characters, and it wasn't a straight forward game. Not to mention the fact that the dudgeons in that games were top notch in the series, where you really got to have massive temples instead of Skyward Sword's 5-room dudgeons.

And so what if people say that the gameplay was a bit easy? Wind Waker's was easy, Ocarina of Time's was easy, Majora's Mask was somewhat easy...the only ones that had a bit of a challenge were 2D games (just because of how the game is made) and Skyward Sword. And honestly, the bosses were very unique and original in Twilight Princess, and they at least took a while to defeat (each having like 2 or 3 stages), and requiring different ways to kill it. I can name countless bosses from games like Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword where it's do this, do that, rinse and repeat. Heck, let's go into the items. Spinner, Ball and Chain, Dominion Rod...all very unique and interesting items that you can use in the game. People complain that you don't use all your items equally and that some are only for the beginning. Well, that is true for some like the Slingshot and such, but other than that, you constantly use the items all the time.

I feel like this game gets a lot of undeserved hate for the fact that it was actually a realistic coloring of the grounds, and yes, I don't walk outside and expect to see the ground to be a vivid green as though it has been cared and nurtured for years to look like what it is. I also did not find the game boring at all, because there was a lot of things to do and explore in that game.

And yes, I do think that some of the reviews are spot on.

Zae said:
well tp was pretty shitty in all that i can think of

visualy, audio, gameplay, design, etc.

seems nothing in that game i could even hope to enjoy, probably what made me skip out on the zelda franchise in general actually.

You do not make fun of the audio. That music was excellent in that game! Some of the best songs are in this game from the Zelda series! The 25th Anniversary Medley definitely put it in the right perspective:

And yeah, the big reason why I think it's underrated is that the fanbase is so negative about this game. Like, so many people look at all the bad things in this game - such as the slow beginning, the reality of iron boots, some items not being used as much as you want - and just really nitpick at this game. Of course, there are always those verbal minority, so maybe it is just a minority opinion, but whatever. I honestly loved Twilight Princess and it definitely is one of the best Zelda games ever.

You do not make fun of the audio. That music was excellent in that game! Some of the best songs are in this game from the Zelda series!

quite frankly i can do what the hell i want, i dont need your permission.

And to be frank i dont like most zelda music anyway.

Zae said:
You do not make fun of the audio. That music was excellent in that game! Some of the best songs are in this game from the Zelda series!

quite frankly i can do what the hell i want, i dont need your permission.

And to be frank i dont like most zelda music anyway.

Well then, don't say that the music sucks when we are talking in comparison to other Zelda music as well, because you were implying that it had terrible Zelda music.

Candice said:
Oh God, that Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement. I one time listen to that for two hours in a row. My favorite part is the transition part from 2:45 to 4:00

I know, they did Hyrule Field awesome.

Well then, don't say that the music sucks when we are talking in comparison to other Zelda music as well, because you were implying that it had terrible Zelda music.

do you realize that i hated the music not disliking it or found it average or anything?

To me the music sucked which is what im doing is comparing it to music i like, but apparently thats too much for you to handle.

Once again telling me how to act or think because you're butthurt.

Back