Why Twilight Princess is overrated

Deku Link said:
Candice said:
Oh God, that Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement. I one time listen to that for two hours in a row. My favorite part is the transition part from 2:45 to 4:00

I know, they did Hyrule Field awesome.
It has such a good brassy sound that so pleasing.

Deku Link said:
Actually, I honestly think that Twilight Princess is underrated by the Zelda fans.
BMB Don't mind if I critique your post. (This doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion, I just disagree with some of the things said.)
I feel that it doesn't really get the respect it deserves just because "oh, there are only like 3 different shades of brown for the coloring" and that stuff.
I thought the coloring was quite realistic. Much more games are more guilty for the lack of color than this game. Agree with this.
The plot was really good, it had a very dark atmosphere to it that should have satisfied many fans that wanted a "darker" game, it had a lot of dynamic characters and a lot of deep backgrounds on many characters, and it wasn't a straight forward game.
The plot was okay but the problem is, everything interesting about the plot happens within the first ten hours of the game. It starts to get a little dull after you get the master sword.
Not to mention the fact that the dudgeons in that games were top notch in the series, where you really got to have massive temples instead of Skyward Sword's 5-room dudgeons.
Highly disagree with you point. Massive dungeons doesn't mean good dungeons, Goron Mines and Lakebed Temple prove this. Skyward's Sword had smaller but more interesting dungeons. Also most of the dungeons that have 5 rooms in Skyward Sword have really big open areas that you can spend a lot of time in. Twilight Princess had next to none of them.

And so what if people say that the gameplay was a bit easy? Wind Waker's was easy, Ocarina of Time's was easy, Majora's Mask was somewhat easy...the only ones that had a bit of a challenge were 2D games (just because of how the game is made) and Skyward Sword.
Never played Wind Waker so can't comment on that and OoT wasn't the hardest game in the world but most of the difficulty in that game was optional stuff but Majora's Mask was far from an easy game, 3 day system sums it all up. Some of Twilight Princesses' puzzles were a challenge but apart from that the game was very easy. However I will say that difficulty doesn't ruin a game.
And honestly, the bosses were very unique and original in Twilight Princess, and they at least took a while to defeat (each having like 2 or 3 stages), and requiring different ways to kill it. I can name countless bosses from games like Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword where it's do this, do that, rinse and repeat. Heck, let's go into the items. Spinner, Ball and Chain, Dominion Rod...all very unique and interesting items that you can use in the game.
Well that doesn't stop them from being a cakewalk. I did enjoy some of the bosses and found them epic but I would rather feel I'm really fighting them and for that to happen, it has to feel that there trying to kill me. OoT does it for most of it's bosses and Skyward Sword does it for all of it's bosses. Twilight Princess only does it for only 3 of it's bosses.
People complain that you don't use all your items equally and that some are only for the beginning. Well, that is true for some like the Slingshot and such, but other than that, you constantly use the items all the time.
The Spinner and Gale Boomerang are not used that often and both work excellent. The clawshots on the other hand is used to death. Most other Zelda game I've played don't suffer from this at all. Other than that though, I think the other items do get equal use.

I feel like this game gets a lot of undeserved hate for the fact that it was actually a realistic coloring of the grounds, and yes, I don't walk outside and expect to see the ground to be a vivid green as though it has been cared and nurtured for years to look like what it is. I also did not find the game boring at all, because there was a lot of things to do and explore in that game.
Agree with all of this. However while I do think Some of the hate is undeserved but that doesn't mean that there's problems with this game.

And yes, I do think that some of the reviews are spot on.
How?

Zae said:
well tp was pretty shitty in all that i can think of

visualy, audio, gameplay, design, etc.

seems nothing in that game i could even hope to enjoy, probably what made me skip out on the zelda franchise in general actually.

You do not make fun of the audio. That music was excellent in that game! Some of the best songs are in this game from the Zelda series! The 25th Anniversary Medley definitely put it in the right perspective:

I agree with BMB this, music in is game is amazing. Their is not one dull track I can think of. Also Zae, don't let one game put you off a an entire series.

And yeah, the big reason why I think it's underrated is that the fanbase is so negative about this game. Like, so many people look at all the bad things in this game - such as the slow beginning, the reality of iron boots, some items not being used as much as you want - and just really nitpick at this game. Of course, there are always those verbal minority, so maybe it is just a minority opinion, but whatever. I honestly loved Twilight Princess and it definitely is one of the best Zelda games ever.
The slow start is a big problem, why, because of the fact that is quite hard to get past and the star takes at least 45 minutes before you can use an actual sword. At least in dream team, you were actually in core gameplay and it was easy to bypass. And the iron boots made parts of Goron Mines a chore to get though but honestly it's not that big of a problem, lastly I am not nitpicking that fact that some dungeons are boring, the combat being poor and the game as whole being quite easy. It's quite a big deal. Positives do outweigh the negatives but only just. If you love this game, I'm fine by that, I just need you to know that this game does have big issues for some people.

- Plot does thin out a bit towards the end, which I can agree, but still doesn't mean that there isn't a well-developed plot in that game.

- Massive dungeons doesn't = better. What bothered me in Skyward Sword was what bothered me mostly in that game - open world. The I loved the dungeons in Twilight Princess for the fact that you can explore and really get a feel for the surroundings and everything while in Skyward Sword it was just like "enter this room, then that room, then that, and then get this, and now boss time." And I felt that - besides some of the dungeon gimmicks like the timeshift stones and ball-rolling-in-lava stuff - it was just boring to go through.

- I thought we were talking about the fighting in terms of difficulty. Twilight Princess definitely is not a hard game, and there are not difficult challenges in it to overcome. I mean, there are at times some stuff - like the ice sliding stuff or the Sacred Grove challenge - that requires some help, but yeah, the game is definitely not that difficult. However, I find that most 3D Zelda games are very easy. I tend to find the games like Minish Cap, the Oracles games, and other 2D Zelda games to be difficult with the puzzles.

- I'm pretty sure all bosses are trying to kill you. But in all seriousness, I agree that some bosses were more like "try to figure out how to beat them" rather than "defend yourself from them" (examples are like Morheel and Armogohma).

- My favorite item in the Zelda games are the Hook/Clawshot stuff, so I probably am biased towards them, but I agree that they were definitely the most used items in Twilight Princess. Again though, I agree that item balance was not that good in this game.

- Well, fans wanted realistic, and they basically got realistic. I think Zelda just works better with a more fantasy-esque appearance to it, which really does make the game seem a lot more vivid and beautiful, but you know, fans complain about the cartoony stuff, so really fans need to shut it.

- Well, I feel that there are a lot of errors in the other Zelda games that I can point out as well (though I really don't want to rant about that either). I just personally found Twilight Princess to be one of the best Zelda games, and I agree with many of the reviews. I mean, many gave Skyward Sword 10/10, and yet I find it to be very flawed in the controls and the lack of an open-world and all that. Many praised OoT, though I personally found it to be quite static with many of the characters, and really found it to be so boring once you beat it for the lack of other stuff to do, and all that. But yeah, I just find that a lot of reviews really highlighted the magnificence Twilight Princess had, and I see a lot of replay value to the game, and the fact that it's basically like a fresh air to a Zelda game while having many ties back to other games.

- Meh, there are some Zelda songs that I really don't care for (Lost village was just a bit bland for me), but I definitely love Twilight Princess music.

- It's hard to compare Dream Team and Twilight Princess together since they are both different in the different areas. I mean, we could argue that it Twilight Princess had a very slow start when you compare it to a game like New Super Mario Bros. where it's like a minute of Peach getting taken and then Mario starting on level 1 in like 1.5 minutes of starting up the game. It's best to compare it to the other games, but I can name quite a few other Zelda games (Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword) that also have slow starts (and if it takes you 45 minutes to use the sword, then something is up). Honestly though, the slow starts really allows the plot to really sink in, and I felt that the start of Twilight Princess was just to really get a feel for Link's life before it drastically changed.

- For your last point, the positives "just" outweighing the negatives is all point of perspective. Some people might love the slow beginning, and some people might have the open world. It all depends on who you are talking about. But you also need to know that if you wanted, I could go into any other Zelda game that you don't think is overrated and nitpick the crap out of it as well. I know this game has big issues for SOME people, but that's very typical in the gaming community because not all gamers feel the exact same way about every friggin video game there is, and that there are going to be SOME people that don't like a game. But that doesn't mean that is overrated.

Zae said:
Well then, don't say that the music sucks when we are talking in comparison to other Zelda music as well, because you were implying that it had terrible Zelda music.

do you realize that i hated the music not disliking it or found it average or anything?

To me the music sucked which is what im doing is comparing it to music i like, but apparently thats too much for you to handle.

Once again telling me how to act or think because you're butthurt.

All I was saying was that you were dissing the music of the game when you don't even like the music in the series, in a thread where we were discussing how Twilight Princess has been considered better than the other games when in actuality (to some) it is not. Nor did I disrespect your taste in music, now did I?

And petty name calling is not helping you out other than making it look like you are raging for no reason. Of course, that might be too much for you to handle as well...

Shoutmon said:
NSY said:
There is not one dull track I can think of.

I thought that fit well into the Twilight atmosphere. Even this game had an amazing soundtrack, I will say that the of the dungeon music is forgettable.

[me=Shoutmon]throws holy water on nsy[/me]

you are clearly a demon not of this world

All I was saying was that you were dissing the music of the game when you don't even like the music in the series, in a thread where we were discussing how Twilight Princess has been considered better than the other games when in actuality (to some) it is not. Nor did I disrespect your taste in music, now did I?

And petty name calling is not helping you out other than making it look like you are raging for no reason. Of course, that might be too much for you to handle as well...

i dont see how its bad to dislike the music regardless of how you think of the overall ost of the franchise

there is GOOD songs in the franchise, like everything from wind waker, but yeah.

apparently i said you disrespected my music taste while not remembering

and i dont really understand the message understand that about rage, i mean not being able to handle my rage which is for no reason?

maybe because im too retarded but i dont understand

I have a different opinion. I think that twilight princess is a good game, some of the parts were easy, some we're hard. Even though it's not my favorite Zelda game, (wind walker is my fav) it's darn good. I don't really like the art style as much as other Zelda games, but it's still good.

NSY said:
I thought that fit well into the Twilight atmosphere. Even this game had an amazing soundtrack, I will say that the of the dungeon music is forgettable.

I thought the music for some of the dungeons (i.e. Goron Mines, Lakebed Temple, and Temple of Time specifically) were more memorable than the entirety of the soundtrack, except Midna's Lament.

Back