Unpopular opinions with video games

is there some reason Nintendo couldn't have released FE character's in STEAM as normal decently priced DLC

like seriously

Baby Luigi said:
The problem with amiibos also amplifies with the stupid godforsaken shortages of them

Like, GOOD LUCK finding Little Mac, Rosalina, Pit, Marth, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer etc in the US without spending overly inflated prices online.
being fair most of these being hard to find are due to scalpers and stuff

it's actually somewhat amusing when i see people (not talking about you but in general) who want to collect amiibo and stuff but have never collected things before so the whole concept of "there are people that will literally buy tons of these things that they know will be desired specifically so they can sell it for inflated prices"

I don't even go to collect too many Amiibo. I may pick one up if I see a character I'd like to have for the heck of it if I can just get it from a nearby retail. No way am I going to look to buy an Amiibo that's being told for twice or more of the retail value online. I only have 4 (Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, and Sonic). The first three were impulse buys. Sonic's was the only one I really, REALLY wanted. Got all of them at retail value.

I know they're not that useful in most cases, but they're also nice little things to display. Unlike the Skylanders stuff the Amiibos are usually official merchandise of some Iconic Nintendo and a few legendary 3rd party characters. If I don't get anymore I'm pretty satisfied. I have the Mario Bros. for the first gaming series I was into, Pikachu for when I was once a huge Pokemon fan plus before Sonic came into SSB, Pikachu was my #1 Main in SSB64 and Melee. And of course Sonic for a series that I've come to love on an equal level with Mario (And of course my #1 Main in both Brawl and Smash 4)

Mario Party 10's amiibo party mode is an insult to the fans of classic Mario Party. Because it's basically that, only with soulless statues moving around the board.

I hate how video game consoles are acting more like cheaper PCs than a video game console.

Also I do not consider DVD playback to be a deal-breaker.

TheFarmboy said:
I hate how video game consoles are acting more like cheaper PCs than a video game console.

I really don´t see a problem in increased functionality, as long the main objective (games) isn´t affected.

NathanBros said:
TheFarmboy said:

I really don´t see a problem in increased functionality, as long the main objective (games) isn´t affected.

Increased functionality jacks up the price, that's why some of us are a bit miffed that the Xbox One and PS4 (to an extent Wii U) has a bunch of useless features that are already in your TV or computer

Yes because they're redundant and unnecessary when they are literally basic functions in those said devices I mentioned.

and does it harm anything for other things to have them?

god that's exactly the excuse nintendrones use when people complain about the wii u not playing dvds or blurays

"WELL DOES IT MATTER, OTHER THINGS CAN DO IT HURR DURR"

Yes because it increases the price for the consoles. I don't want to pay extra for something I already have at home.

Hell even I'm a bit annoyed they have stuff like an internet browser or video crap in the Wii U, I don't need those extraneous features.

btw, using stupid terms such as "nintendrones" instantly renders your argument invalid

I know Aiko Heiwa is banned, but let me refute those arguments.

Aiko Heiwa said:
and does it harm anything for other things to have them?

god that's exactly the excuse nintendrones use when people complain about the wii u not playing dvds or blurays

"WELL DOES IT MATTER, OTHER THINGS CAN DO IT HURR DURR"
It's price inflation for useless features. Having DVD player/music player/popcorn maker/making a pizza delivery features does increase the cost of the console to make it approach the prices of a high-powered DIY assembly gaming computer. Your TV, smartphone, and computer, which are basic necessities nowadays, already do those things. Hell, if you look at the advertisements for Xbox One, games look like they're just a side thing. Criticizing these consoles for having unnecessary features is no way praising Nintendo's features-that-PCs-and-TVs-and-smartphones-have, and labeling people who disagree with you as a homogenous group called "Nintendrones" just reflects your weak arguments.

Aiko Heiwa said:
it's actually somewhat amusing when i see people (not talking about you but in general) who want to collect amiibo and stuff but have never collected things before so the whole concept of "there are people that will literally buy tons of these things that they know will be desired specifically so they can sell it for inflated prices"
This is pretty much blaming the victim for "they should've known better" and excusing scalpers for their ethically questionable behavior and Nintendo for handling their amiibo stock poorly.

It's actually somewhat amusing that your opinion is based pretty much on how it affects you at a personal level. I read your rant about amiibos. Yes, you read it correctly. It's a rant. A meaningless one.

Using your own extremely flawed argument against you, I can just say, "If you don't like amiibo, just don't buy them!"

I think it's oversimplifying things to compare amiibos as just a fancy type of DLC-locking, but I do admit the content-locking potential they could have, so I do think the concerns are real. So far, amiibos are used fairly responsibly. Smush's "bonus" from the amiibos is just a slightly better AI that can "learn" so it's treated more like a bonus than actual locked content. It's just a little stupid thing. Hyrule Warrios actually does a good job at it, providing bonuses, from scanty to powerful, but it's totally negligible otherwise. Finally, amiibos and other figurines aren't as bad as the standard DLC locking simply because of the physical figure you're getting. Just as long as their paint and model quality is passable (which it is), I think there is a broad appeal to that kind of thing.

I actually think Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures are what you SHOULDN'T do with figures. You are required to buy these figures because the vast majority of the playable cast needs to be bought first. In Skylanders, there are entire levels locked if you don't buy any figures because those levels need a certain element to access them (like Undead), and the starter pack doesn't have any characters of that element (no Undead characters). What's more, you need these figures to even play the game (to an extent in the 3DS versions), so if they're broken or lost, you can't play the game. Unlike amiibos. This figure dependency is also there in Disney Infinity. I wouldn't complain about Disney Infinity as much if you could use every character in every level (you can't; the character is restricted to his or her respective world aside from toybox; imagine a Smash Bros. game where Mario can be used only in the Mario levels).

Additionally, I actually praise the amiibo's compatibility across games. Mileage might vary because of how often and how much they actually provide, but in my opinion, they're doing OK at best. Mario Party 9's handling is the worst one where it is indeed locking an entire mode away. Now, the mode itself doesn't appear great in the first place, but I hope they won't exploit that and lock behind more things.

I think amiibos should do the Hyrule Warriors approach where they make it easy to obtain high-power items and materials (or the whopping 1 Ruppee) without sacrificing actual content.

The amiibo shortage shouldn't be brought up since it's not a problem of amiibo itself but rather a supply-demand issue. So, it's a red herring.

Kid Icarus: Uprising has the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon syndrome. The gameplay is dull, but the story is good enough to keep you going.

The Janitor said:
but does mystery dungeon have hades?
...and the characters are also good, like Mystery Dungeon.

Jack Frost said:
Kid Icarus: Uprising has the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon syndrome. The gameplay is dull, but the story is good enough to keep you going.
That sounds so broad and generic that it can apply to several other games.

Besides, Mystery Dungeon doesn't have a really great story anyway.

Mario Party Σ said:
Jack Frost said:

Sounds like the "every RPG ever" syndrome to me. :P

With some exceptions.

Mario Party Σ said:
Jack Frost said:

I thought the 1st one was pretty good (granted it's the only one I've played but I really like that story). Post game ruins the feel though

Back