United States Presidential Election, 2012

SCARY TICKET:

Bachmann-Perry.

Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Vlad Plasmius said:
SCARY TICKET:

Bachmann-Perry.

Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

I hope that doesn't happen :|

Ornithologist Mario said:
Steelers Suck said:
As for Perry, I just think he's far too religious.

I have to agree. I'm very new when it comes to politics, but I'm not voting for a man who relies on prayer and suggests that Texas secedes or something (if I'm 18). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Texas is always threatening to secede, but it'll never happen. Same goes for South Carolina.

These days since all the up-to-date military technology is in the hands of the federal government, it would be a cinch to put down a rebellion. SWAT Teams can't beat tanks, missiles, and SEALs.

but I'm not voting for a man who relies on prayer
This is completely ignoring that the United States was built on Christian ideals, and that there are prob'ly more Christians in positions of political power than any other religious belief (or lack thereof).

of course I don't know much about Rick Perry (or American politics in general), so maybe he's more fundamentalist than the people I'm thinking of

Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
This is completely ignoring that the United States was built on Christian ideals,
Well, yes and no. It's true that we've only elected Christian presidents (and only one Catholic at that) but there's a pretty strong emphasis on the separation of church and state. Also IIRC Benjamin Franklin was a pretty staunch atheist, though I might be confusing him with one of the other founding fathers.

Me point was that dismissing a candidate based on their religious beliefs (they won't bring their beliefs into their policies...) is foolish, especially considering the history of American politics.

Me point was that dismissing a candidate based on their religious beliefs (they won't bring their beliefs into their policies...) is foolish, especially considering the history of American politics.
What if a candidate was a Satanist?

Many Theistic Satanists simply worship Satan as a deity (admittedly a carnal one), nothing more; plenty of them are normal people, otherwise. There are a fair few that get really weird and extreme with some of their rituals and anti-Christian philosophy, but there are fundamentalists and extremists in basically everything.

But the chances of a Satanist - Theistic or Atheistic - attaining such a high political position in the primarily Christian United States is very slim, to say the least.

Marwikedor said:
Than he worships the devil but what are his other ideals

Yoshiwalker said:
I say a candidate's religion doesn't matter unless it will affect what they do.

People tend to forget about that whole separation of church and state bit.

cough cough "the bible says being gay is bad so let's make it illegal in our country" cough cough

Actually, the media tends to paint Christian politicians that way. In reality they're usually more supportive of a limit to it of some sort, or at least letting the states decide for themselves, which was a big mess in California a few months ago. The same thing happened in the Civil War era, the media in the south chalked Lincoln up to being a radical abolitionist when he simply planned to limit the expansion of slavery.

Isn't it interesting how history seems to repeat itself?

Whoa it's been a while.

Herman Cain is leading in the polls at this point.

I must say that I do support his presidency; as he stated in one interview, tax cuts are a much better way to give Americans back their money that Obama and Bush's stimulus packages.

Also, the media opinion of him is just pure BS sometimes. I mean, look at this quote from a guy on CNN:
Cain evinces no recognition of the Founding Fathers' role in erecting a cruel pigmentocracy that continues to poison virtually every aspect of American political, social and cultural life. This is not an abstruse or academic matter. The president nominates federal judges. An important theory of constitutional interpretation vying for ascendancy is originalism: the notion that the Constitution should be read as originally understood by its framers. Justice Clarence Thomas is the most militant originalist on the Supreme Court. A President Cain would seek to fill the federal judiciary with more Clarence Thomases -- a prospect that most blacks rightly view with dread.
Basically, he's taking Cain's support of judges who want to follow in the Founding Fathers' footsteps and turned it as a racist regime.

what

The Founding Fathers' intentions were for slavery to die out anyways! Jesus, this guy is attacking the creators of our nation just to get at Cain. That's just ridiculous, even if you don't agree with Cain's presidency ideals.

Just watched the Commander in Chief Republican debate.

Pretty interesting, Newt Gringrich really stood out this time and had a strong performance.

Marwikedor said:

2069.gif
What does it matter?
2069.gif

Herr Shyguy said:
This is completely ignoring that the United States was built on Christian ideals,
Well, yes and no. It's true that we've only elected Christian presidents (and only one Catholic at that) but there's a pretty strong emphasis on the separation of church and state. Also IIRC Benjamin Franklin was a pretty staunch atheist, though I might be confusing him with one of the other founding fathers.

As far as we're aware, anyway. I wouldn't put it past any past, present, or future candidates to lie about their beliefs in order to secure votes, though as far as the founding fathers are concerned, particularly Jefferson and Franklin, there is a general disdain for Christianity and organized religion in their writings, but that's irrelevant. Like Yoshiwalker said, religious beliefs don't matter unless they affect government policy, and I worry that the GOP's candidate (particularly and especially if it ends up being Perry or Bachmann) won't be able to keep the two separate.

Anyway, I don't particularly give a damn who wins as far as party goes, as improving the economy is something both parties have failed at. Speaking in economic terms, we are below full employment, and inflation is almost nonexistent. The government needs to reduce its spending, raise taxes, or some combination of the two, but it is unlikely that either will take place, the former because the politicians don't want to, the latter because the voters don't want higher taxes. That's the problem I think we've had in recent years. Collectively, the American people are more focused on fulfilling their short-term wants than on fulfilling their long-term needs, and the country's suffering because of it.

Mario4Ever said:
Anyway, I don't particularly give a damn who wins as far as party goes, as improving the economy is something both parties have failed at. Speaking in economic terms, we are below full employment, and inflation is almost nonexistent. The government needs to reduce its spending,
In the recent Republican debate, most candidates agreed on a plan that would cut all foreign aid until the countries came to us and told us exactly why they needed money.

Discuss.

Australia needs money to find a cure for Australia. Over 22 million people are Australian every year. It is a tragedy.

Michelle Bachmann is a joke

Herman Cain is a sex offender

Rick Perry is drunk

Mitt Romney is a coward

Obama is a sane, reasonable person who doesn't get angry easily

Yeah, Obama's going to win. Most Americans are unhappy with him, but the Tea Party is so fractured and extremist that there's no hope of anyone but Romney winning, since he's the least bat*bleep* crazy of them.

Ned Kelly said:
but I'm not voting for a man who relies on prayer
This is completely ignoring that the United States was built on Christian ideals, and that there are prob'ly more Christians in positions of political power than any other religious belief (or lack thereof).

It wasn't built on explicitly Christian ideals, it was built on the basis of equality, which is not a solely Christian trait.

On the other hand...

Sharks Territory said:
As for Perry, I just think he's far too religious.

What the hell is wrong with that? There are hundreds of things wrong with Perry, but his being religious is not an issue. His forcing religion on others would be, yes, but that's not what you said.

Dr. Javelin said:
I must say that I do support his presidency;

...he's a freaking sex offender!

Dr. Javelin said:
Actually, the media tends to paint Christian politicians that way. In reality they're usually more supportive of a limit to it of some sort, or at least letting the states decide for themselves, which was a big mess in California a few months ago. The same thing happened in the Civil War era, the media in the south chalked Lincoln up to being a radical abolitionist when he simply planned to limit the expansion of slavery.

Isn't it interesting how history seems to repeat itself?

Now why the *bleep* should the states-or the government- have any say in who marries who in the first place? And are you really comparing homophobes to Abraham Lincoln, and gay marriage to slavery?

Isn't gay marriage legal in at least five states of America, tho?

Fun fact: Gay marriage is completely illegal in all Australian states and territories. And our current PM has absolutely no interest in tackling that issue. Yup.

Scarecrow von Steuben said:

Seriously? You believe that? 5 women, who never have shown their faces before now, suddenly decide to claim that Cain offended them. Cain says that he stood up and said that you look a lot like my wife because she is about your height. When you become an offender just because you create an akward moment...Good lord, throw us all in prison.

Michelle Bachmann is a joke

Rick Perry is drunk

Mitt Romney isn't great but he's better than the others

Obama supports Palestine

fix'd

banjonator1 said:

Seriously? You believe that? 5 women, who never have shown their faces before now, suddenly decide to claim that Cain offended them. Cain says that he stood up and said that you look a lot like my wife because she is about your height. When you become an offender just because you create an akward moment...Good lord, throw us all in prison.

Er, no, one of the women wanted a job from him and he tried to make her have sex with him to get it. This was already an issue before he became a candidate, there was a settlement over it. This was not a sudden thing. This was not something that happened right after he announced his presidency. Do your *bleep*ing research. This is solid fact, not what I think happened, not what I want to have happened, it is public information. Unless of course you're getting your info from Fox News, in which case factual information has no bearing and there's no sense debating with you.

It also strikes me as interesting that Herman Cain denied any knowledge that a settlement over sexual harassment claims had been made, then when it turned out that it was going to be a big deal over it he admitted he did know. Does that sound like something an innocent man would do?

Sharks Territory said:
Obama supports Palestine

fix'd

Your point?

@Obama supporters: I'd like you to answer a few questions. Does voting for a Republican make you racist? If so, what if you vote for Cain? Does a candidate's past personal history matter greatly when running for office? If so, why do you support Obama when he was definitely friends with an actual terrorist?

Back