Clones in SSB4

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Talk about Lucina, Dark Pit, and the semi-clones from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.

Re: Clones

Clones are bad and they should feel bad.

If there's little to nothing special about the character there's no point.

And what about semi-clones?

I don't mind semi-clones because I feel quite a difference when I play as the two.

And to set things straight, the only true clones are Luigi in SSB and the 6 clones from Melee. There are no clones in Brawl, only semi-clones.

Clones were better done in Brawl then in Melee. They did feel and play different from their "counterparts" much more then the clones in Melee. I figure SSB4 will further try to differentiate the (lack-for-a-better-term) semi-clones as to make them more unique. But people who complain about Lucas or Wolf being clones of Ness and Fox clearly haven't played as them nearly enough.

Northern Verve said:
But people who complain about Lucas or Wolf being clones of Ness and Fox clearly haven't played as them nearly enough.
Agreed. Don't really see how Ness & Lucas are clones when all they share are Forward Smash, Up Air, and the Special moves, but even then, the differences of most of these moves are actually notable aside from speed/power.
They even have a different playstyle. Lucas is more meant to stay on the ground, whereas Ness is meant for the air. =P
Most of their animations anyways are different, lol

And I don't see how Wolf is a clone of Fox either. If anything, Falco is more clone-like compared to Fox than Wolf is. :P

Then there's people who say Ike and Marth are clones. Like what? O__O
All they share is a Sword, the Counter and the same Down Smash.

The only (semi-)clones in Brawl I see are Link & Toon Link (Toon Link is basically a faster version of Link and can actually recover LOL), and Ganondorf & Captain Falcon.

According to SmashWiki, the semi-clones in Brawl are Luigi (Mario), Falco (Fox), Ganondorf (C. Falcon), Lucas (Ness), and Toon Link (Link).

Lambtron said:
According to SmashWiki, the semi-clones in Brawl are Luigi (Mario), Falco (Fox), Ganondorf (C. Falcon), Lucas (Ness), and Toon Link (Link).
In my opinion, Mario and Luigi aren't really THAT alike, and the other ones I just consider clones, not "semi-clones". Sure, I know those character's styles are somewhat different, but to me they don't feel different enough to make them feel "not cloney".

New Super Mario said:
Lambtron said:
In my opinion, Mario and Luigi aren't really THAT alike, and the other ones I just consider clones, not "semi-clones". Sure, I know those character's styles are somewhat different, but to me they don't feel different enough to make them feel "not cloney".
I don't know. They feel different enough to me. Huh.

Mario and Luigi felt the most alike to me. Probably because Luigi was the series first true clone (thanks to Super Smash Bros.)

Luigi has more similar moves than not, and he shares most animations with Mario. I think it's same to assume that Luigi's a partial clone, which is the basis for the term, "Luigification".

I don't like how Ganondorf, an essential character in the Link series and has totally no relation to Captain Falcon has a moveset entirely based on Captain Falcon's moveset.

Okay. Hopefully the discussion can continue here.

Melee had some noticeable clones. This was one of the things Brawl did right. They made the clones less cloneish.

What really gets on my nerves is when people consider characters to be clones based only on their special moves. Do jabs, tilts, smashes, grabs, and aerials mean nothing to people? Calling Wolf and Ike clones, even semi-clones, of Fox and Marth respectively also really annoys me. Anyone who says that clearly hasn't played those characters enough

No, this is not directed towards Chillv. I've come across this problem a lot.

Ganondorf said:
No, this is not directed towards Chillv.

Then why did you mention my name then? It has to be directed towards me somewhat.

I liked Brawl efforts too but they still made Ganondorf, a character who is still a highly distinguishable character, have moves based off Captain Falcon's. I find that really inexcusable and I want them to change up Ganondorf so he's is what he is: a character who's supposed to be ---ing different from Captain Falcon. Gah I sound so stupid saying that, but I can't help sounding stupid because that was a stupid decision in itself.

As I said in another thread, give Ganon his magic orbs and his sword.

But then Ganondorf players would bitch and moan about how their precious main was changed.

Ganondorf said:
But then Ganondorf players would *bleep* and moan about how their precious main was changed.

I find that pathetic, really. Would there be ANYONE who would seriously complain Ganondorf being Ganondorf?

Okay. Let's say they completely revamp Ganondorf in Smash 4. Give him his sword and all that. That's great because it makes him unique.

However, there are people who have been maining Ganondorf since Melee. If all of a sudden, their most played character changes, they can no longer play Ganondorf the way they have been for over ten years. It would really annoy people who rely on Ganondorf the way he is now to win.

Just switch to Captain Falcon. They were the same in Melee and almost the same in Brawl.

That's why it's better to change Ganondorf earlier than later, so people can get used to it

The Doctor said:
Just switch to Captain Falcon. They were the same in Melee and almost the same in Brawl.

Also this too

It's the same reason not all Falco players can just switch to Fox. The minor differences begin to add up and Ganondorf can feel very different than Captain Falcon.

I have a question

Wasn't Ganondorf originally supposed to be Black Shadow from F-Zero or is this all an unconfirmed rumor?

Ganondorf said:
What really gets on my nerves is when people consider characters to be clones based only on their special moves. Do jabs, tilts, smashes, grabs, and aerials mean nothing to people? Calling Wolf and Ike clones, even semi-clones, of Fox and Marth respectively also really annoys me. Anyone who says that clearly hasn't played those characters enough.
Agreed 100%. *insert thumbs up here for you*

Also, I agree with Baby Luigi about Ganondorf. I found it dumb how he has a sword used in his taunt, yet doesn't use it in his moveset at all...

Also, I don't see the issue if they make Ganondorf unique for "having a new playstyle". People will just have to adapt.

It's like Peach; from Melee to Brawl, her KO power got nerfed and she didn't have her broken as hell Down Smash and went from one of the longest double jumps to the shortest. But people adapted.

I'm a Ness main, and if Ness got his recovery changed and it was a buff, I wouldn't be complaining. People say "oh Ness is supposed to recover by launching himself with PK Thunder", but they'd just have to adapt to it. =P

While Rosalina is not a clone of Peach, I do feel like a lot of her non-smash moves are similar to Zelda's. However, looking at some of the new pictures of Zelda, it seems her non-smash moves are getting tweeked, so we'll see...

Back