Clones in SSB4

Re: Clones

DragonFreak said:
I actually think Marth and Lucina may be more different than other people think. Like, we really have not seen what Lucina does. It is still too early to call them clones.
They will be semi-clones. i expect Lucina to be a faster, lighter, and more air-based version of Marth like GalacticPetey said.

Man, I don't know why people are freaking out about Lucina.

Yes, her moveset is obviously derived from Marth. That does not mean she will play like him at all. I point you to Fox and Falco in Melee. Similar movesets, right? But completely different play styles.
All attacks have near identical animations and functions, though many have had their knockback altered, changing which ones are good for KOing, such as Falco's forward smash and down tilt being considerably stronger than Fox's, while Fox's up smash and up aerial are considerably stronger. Falco's special moves have identical mechanics but have changed enough that they have different applications; for example his Blaster shots flinch and his Reflector produces vertical knockback instead of semi-spike trajectory horizontal knockback. Falco also runs slower and jumps higher than Fox, while being slightly heavier, and has a down aerial that hits only once.
See that? These changes make Falco a completely different character to play. But most people just say "hurt durr same special moves. They must be exactly the same"

As we all know, Marth has been changed to be slightly slower and more ground based. Like the Fox/Falco situation, Marth is changing in the new game and Lucina will probably inherit his old traits. Heck, even if that wasn't the case, they'd still play differently. Lucina's sword doesn't have the tipper sweet spot. Spacing with Marth and spacing with Lucina are going to be completely different ball games because of this.

So yeah people, don't be so quick to hate on clones.

Not to mention that Lucina is a bit shorter than Marth and has a smaller frame than him which will probably mean she has a smaller hit zone than Marth does.

I mean, I am 99% certain that there will be no clones in this game. Semi-clones on the other hand I am 99% certain will be in this game. Sakurai even [indirectly] said that all characters that have their own slot will be semi-clones to fully unique characters. I expect that while Lucina will be very similar to Marth, she's definitely differ greatly with those similar moves.

it's funny because some people will probably read the above posts and still claim that Lucina is guaranteed to be a clone

Dany Lannister said:
it's funny because some people will probably read the above posts and still claim that Lucina is guaranteed to be a clone
Nothing we've seen from her guarantees semi-clone. There's nothing distinguishing her from a clone. A few minute differences doesn't make a semi-clone. Mario and Dr. Mario have differences but not enough to be considered a semi-clone.

yeah, and the idea that she's confirmed/guarenteed to be one is still silly since she could still be either one

I never said she was guaranteed to be one. I'm just saying based off of what we've seen SO FAR, she doesn't have enough differences to be a semi-clone. Again, we'll know by the time the game's out.

I didn't say that you said that, I said that other people will probably say that

GalacticPetey said:
I never said she was guaranteed to be one. I'm just saying based off of what we've seen SO FAR, she doesn't have enough differences to be a semi-clone. Again, we'll know by the time the game's out.

SO FAR We've seen her use like 2 or 3 moves, and that's it. I think it's a bit early to be going around acting like "oh, she doesn't have enough differences, I know from the 2 or 3 moves she did in that trailer."

I never said she would be a clone. I'm merely saying that based off what we've seen, she looks like a clone. I never said she will be one. But all the info we CURRENTLY have, no matter how small, points to clone. Even her idle animation is even the same as Marth's. Not even Roy had that.

Stop putting word in my mouth.

Bumping this because Lucina and Dark Pit are clones.

The clones in SSB4 I feel are extremely similar to their original characters. Lucina at least has the balanced sword damage thing. Dark Pit, however, is exactly the same as Pit barring one thing: the Final Smash, which I'll hardly use anyway. Of course, I haven't played Kid Icarus, so I wouldn't know if it would make sense for Dark Pit to use Three Sacred Treasures.

If so, shame on Sakurai. He's pretty much pleasuring himself with this promotion of a series with three games. It's not even one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises, and yet series like Donkey Kong, Nintendo's fifth best-selling franchise, get completely ignored. And yeah, I've been defending it. Maybe not here as much, but I've been convincing myself that there's absolutely nothing wrong with this game because I've been paranoid about Nintendo and Wii U's future, but I digress. If there's a next Smash Bros, Dark Pit needs to be cut, and should only be allowed to return when Donkey Kong, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox all have three playable characters and Brain Age has some representation.

Personally I'm fine with the clones. They aren't "taking up slots", that argument is bullshit. They're basically extras that the team threw near the end of development.

Okay, so clones and semi-clones in Smash 4.

Semi-clones
Luigi, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco are the semi-clones that return from Brawl. All there old differences from Brawl apply but a couple changes have been added. Luigi has a new down throw and jumping animation to differentiate him further from Mario. Soon enough we won't even be calling Luigi a semi-clone any more. Since Link has a new up air and dash attack, that's two more moves that are unique to Toon Link. Ganondorf and Falco keep the differences they had in Brawl. Falco's back air is slightly different. On the plus side, Ganon has gotten some notable buffs, but he still doesn't look great.

Clones
Doc looks like he has his differences from Melee. Since Mario's down b and down air have changed since Melee, Doc has two more unique moves now. It looks like Lucina's only difference is the different sword hit boxes. Everything else is identical except for one of her taunts I believe. Dark Pit has the same moves as Pit but his are stronger and he doesn't have as much launch capability. He's actually gonna play pretty differently from Pit at least on a competing level. Same with Doc. I don't see Lucina getting much use if her only difference is the lack of tipper.

I think Doc is basically Melee Mario/Doc and Mario is Brawl Mario with some upgrades.

What were Mario's changes between Melee and Brawl?

So Doc has three unique moves (Pills, tornado, and down air).

Melee Ganondorf had three unique moves and I still consider him a regular clone.

Back