Overrated Mario Characters

Fawful is probably the most overrated character that I've seen, and he's an RPG-exclusive character.

Otachi said:
Agumon said:
I'm going to write another letter to Nintendo telling them it'll be an awesome idea to let Baby Luigi be playable in Yoshi's Island.
They aren't gonna read it.
Baby Mario isn't even playable. He's a hapless buffoon riding on a reptilian clown's back.

Hey, Geno falls into the same category as Fawful: a vocal fanbase.

Mario Party X said:
Otachi said:
Agumon said:
I'm going to write another letter to Nintendo telling them it'll be an awesome idea to let Baby Luigi be playable in Yoshi's Island.
They aren't gonna read it.
Baby Mario isn't even playable. He's a hapless buffoon riding on a reptilian clown's back.
I know they aren't going to read it or respond to it, just like the other three. Also, in that case, I want Luigi to be that hapless buffoon riding on a reptilian clown's back.

Funny how the so-called Year of "Luigi" doesn't apply to Baby Luigi. I wonder how Baby Luigi (the user) must've felt.

I have not heard of them not doing so. They never gave me any confidential info, but they said stuff like "Thanks for your feedback, it will be forwarded to the appropriate people" and such. They did not respond to the regular mail I sent though.

It isn't computer-generated, though. One employee commented on the fact that it was my second time e-mailing them, and they could tell I was a huge Fawful fan. Don't think a computer could deduce all that. And they are not allowed to tell you stuff that is confidential or they will lose their job. I'm sure they are taking note of your e-mails though.

MnSG said:
Fawful is probably the most overrated character that I've seen, and he's an RPG-exclusive character.

Yeah, look at all his fans! And Mario.

Mario... overrated? Okay, there are way too many people saying Mario's overrated. I'm sorry, but people mostly HATE Mario, like to see Mario get killed by Bowser, think that he's a personality-less fatass that hogs the spotlight, like to see Mario get stripped and then get dragged by a chariot that Luigi is driving, depict him in ugly or embarrassing ways, or all of the above. Mario has less fans than Luigi OR Yoshi, so go pick on those guys instead. They're the overrated ones, not Mario.

Yeah, yeah, go on about how Nintendo this and that, how he appeared in so many games, so he's overrated. No, and just because Nintendo loves you doesn't mean everyone else loves you, and even then, Mario's stupid younger brother is the one getting all the moocha moocha and gaga by Nintendo recently (Year of the *bleep*ing Luigi, my ass). Although Mario gets a lot of attention, he doesn't have a giant fanbase to back him up while Luigi and Yoshi have Nintendo's kisses and the fans' hugs.

I don't see anyone that loves Mario here. Except for myself. I don't know... I think I'm the only rabid Mario fan here.

-Rant from a bitter Mario fan.

well people just want more out of mario as a character, but as far as i can tell you're absolutely right.

Mario is hardly even liked as a character, and almost every other character is liked far more.

Although from the times that mario had sentences to speak of he did seem like he would be a good character, why the games havent really represented this is beyond me.

Zae said:
Although from the times that mario had sentences to speak of he did seem like he would be a good character, why the games havent really represented this is beyond me.

This would be my counter-argument if people think Mario should have no personality, or if they complain that Mario's personality-less.

The other night, I was sitting there, watching the Pokémon movie with him, we take the popcorn, and all of a sudden, it gets to a scary part, a scary part in the Pokémon movie, ahem, and I say, 'Hello, popcorn? Where the popcorn? Yoohoo, popcorn, where'd you go? Wait a minute, what happened to Luigi? Lui-!' and I saw his little feet hanging out between the cushions; he got scared; he jumped between the cushions and took the popcorn! I'm like 'C'mon, Luigi! I don't care if you're scared, the popcorn is not that scared.' For crying out loud!

Mario: Ah, Sonic, I love-a Sonic the Hedgehog. We're in the London Olympic games this year having a super duper fun time.
A kid: But I thought he was your enemy!
Mario: Ah, well he's my arch-uh, archrival, but you know my enemy, I don't really have enemies.
Another kid: But what about Goombas?
Mario: Ah, Goombas, well, okay, those are my enemies.

Why Nintendo is so reluctant to give Mario speaking roles in the game, it's way beyond me. I mean, REALLY way beyond me. This just scratches the surface of Mario talking outside of the game. Mario is funny, nice, sweet, and a bit of a jerk to Luigi (in a nice, innocent, brotherly way; siblings like to do that to each other.) Nintendo isn't harnessing Charles Martinet's potential. These kind of stuff make Mario so likeable, in my opinion, that I dare say it's a crime to let him go silent like that.

i think we've had this discussion before haha

but yes, i think nintendo wants to keep this whole silent protag tradition that games do (breath of fire and chrono trigger are examples of this) to prevent possible bad things with a voice protag.

Which to me is pretty stupid, i mean you can even have a fun experience with a silent protag as games has done(shin megami tensei or most bioware games) with a variety of choices.

I doubt nintendo will ever change that, but because of that, its pretty infuriating.

We did, lol.

I've also had multiple discussions about who's better, Luigi or Mario, and I continue making the same points.

I'd like to have a bit more development in Mario's side; it would make him more interesting, and perhaps people will like him more.

Anyway, I think when most people think Mario's overrated, they think it's just that he appeared in a lot of games, and my point is that they have to look at the bigger picture. And besides, Mario's supposed to be the head character in the games. I know that people are asking for games where other characters star, and I do want that. But saying that Mario is somehow hogging the spotlight from them is baffling, as if the games he starred in replaces the games or something.

Even though I like Luigi slightly better than Mario, his fanbase is just what really ticks me off. Especially the 'die hard' ones. Yuck.

I remember reading a story on fanfiction.net a year ago and it was a horror story. Luigi got killed early in the fic and apparently a few reviewers cussed out the author for killing him too soon. Talk about overdramatic...

I love Mario as a silent protagonist. A game character that doesn't have a complex personally and remains silent makes me, the player, feel more in control. Same thing goes with the Zelda-series - If Link would talk, then I'd feel less like playing through my own adventure. I think that's the beauty with Nintendo games.

Harbertus said:
I love Mario as a silent protagonist. A game character that doesn't have a complex personally and remains silent makes me, the player, feel more in control. Same thing goes with the Zelda-series - If Link would talk, then I'd feel less like playing through my own adventure. I think that's the beauty with Nintendo games.
Maybe you do, but nowadays, people are expecting more from video game characters. That's what I believe, anyway.

^Hell yes, Yoshi is overrated.

Mudkip said:
Baby Daisy is so overrated, I don't blame her.

How? She's like hated since she was first revealed in Mario Kart Wii

As much as I love him, Luigi has got to be the most overrated character in the series. Fans go on and on about how underrated he is, yet his fanbase far surpasses Mario's. Also, I find it completel unfair that so many Luigi fans bash and attack Mario, calling him a glory-hogging jerk when he isn't. Again, I don't hate Luigi, he's actually one of my favorite Mario characters. I just find him to be extremely overrated.

Geno is also extremely overrated.

Baby Luigi said:
Mudkip said:
Baby Daisy is so overrated, I don't blame her.
How? She's like hated since she was first revealed in Mario Kart Wii
I thought it's that Nintendo became more hated when they did that.

MarioLuigi25 said:
Fans go on and on about how underrated he is, yet his fanbase far surpasses Mario's. Also, I find it completel unfair that so many Luigi fans bash and attack Mario, calling him a glory-hogging jerk when he isn't. Again, I don't hate Luigi, he's actually one of my favorite Mario characters. I just find him to be extremely overrated.
To me the reason is that: Luigi is portrayed as a negative character who is overshadowed by his brother, so his personality wins fans heart. However in reality, he is still a favored character who can frequently be playable in most SMB games while others can't. In other words, he is not as "miserable" as what he actually owns.

Mario Party X said:
Mario... overrated? Okay, there are way too many people saying Mario's overrated. I'm sorry, but people mostly HATE Mario, like to see Mario get killed by Bowser, think that he's a personality-less fatass that hogs the spotlight, like to see Mario get stripped and then get dragged by a chariot that Luigi is driving, depict him in ugly or embarrassing ways, or all of the above. Mario has less fans than Luigi OR Yoshi, so go pick on those guys instead. They're the overrated ones, not Mario.

Yeah, yeah, go on about how Nintendo this and that, how he appeared in so many games, so he's overrated. No, and just because Nintendo loves you doesn't mean everyone else loves you, and even then, Mario's stupid younger brother is the one getting all the moocha moocha and gaga by Nintendo recently (Year of the *bleep*ing Luigi, my ass). Although Mario gets a lot of attention, he doesn't have a giant fanbase to back him up while Luigi and Yoshi have Nintendo's kisses and the fans' hugs.

I don't see anyone that loves Mario here. Except for myself. I don't know... I think I'm the only rabid Mario fan here.

-Rant from a bitter Mario fan.

Agreed. Mario is underrated if anything. Although he's the leading hero of the series, he doesn't get nearly as much fan support as Luigi or Yoshi. And he's the constant victim of bashing from various Luigi fans, constantly being called a glory hogging jerk when he isn't, which only supports that theory. Mario is actually a kind-hearted hero who's only doing his job as the main hero and protagonist.

Back