Overrated Mario Characters

Occasionally Returns

Fluffy boi(or possibly gurl?)
This doesn't exactly mean bad Mario characters, just ones you find overrated. For example, :bowjr: has his moments but he is basically a revamped Baby Bowser. I would mention the other beloved children but, I am a former fanboy so yeah. Also, isn't :mario: kind of a jerk sometimes?

Re: Overrated Characters

Solar Blaze said:
The character at the top of my list is Bowser. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I find him to be extremely overrated. He completely fails as a villain, plain and simple. Just about all the plans he ever comes up with have little to no originality, and I'll never understand why he gets the kind of recognition that he does.

Luigi, Bowser, the Koopalings, and Yoshi, but I still like the latter.

Kingfawful4321 said:
I don't like Bowser Jr. same reasons as shrek guy. also i hate how he takes the Koopalings spotlight. :mad:

I am cool with Bowser Jr. but he isn't all that impressive. The Koopalings have a bunch of potential to becoming very interesting but Nintendo never uses them to their full potential. I just hope that they get newer better styles of fighting. I find it unfair how Bowser Jr., who doesn't have much potential, gets all of the cool changes in battle styles but the Koopalings don't get quite as much change (thought New suepr Mario Bros. U took some steps in the right direction, but they could still be a little better). Well then again, a lot of bosses could use improvement.

well mario bosses aren't exactly top notch so its to be expected.

in all actuality im afraid thats what the mario series is weakest in.

I find Toads overrated. I mean, what's so special about them, they're talking mushrooms. Although I don't really hate them (Toad in MK is annoying though) I just think most of their appearances are just Nintendo being too lazy to add more interesting characters. An example is NSMBW/U. Rather than Toads (Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are just two of them who became "characters" because they were playable) they could have used Wario and Waluigi. The Toads in Paper Mario 1-2 were fine, they all had names and distinguishing features. The Toads in PMSS were generic, lazy excuses for NPC's. I think Toads should stay in Peach's Castle as servants, or blend in with the rest of the characters rather than feeling like replacements for them.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I find Toads overrated. I mean, what's so special about them, they're talking mushrooms. Although I don't really hate them (Toad in MK is annoying though) I just think most of their appearances are just Nintendo being too lazy to add more interesting characters. An example is NSMBW/U. Rather than Toads (Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are just two of them who became "characters" because they were playable) they could have used Wario and Waluigi. The Toads in Paper Mario 1-2 were fine, they all had names and distinguishing features. The Toads in PMSS were generic, lazy excuses for NPC's. I think Toads should stay in Peach's Castle as servants, or blend in with the rest of the characters rather than feeling like replacements for them.
I almost typed this because I feel the same way.

Yoshi. I really really REALLY hate his voice and his current design. He's nothing special, he's just a freaking power-up. What makes him worse than any other power-up is that he's able to make noises, and, frankly, I prefer my power-ups shutting the hell up. His voice alone in Mario Party 8 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 makes me cringe. He was at his best in the New Super Mario Bros. series but I prefer they kept his design from Super Mario World/RPG and his voice from Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 1-3. He used to vaguely resemble a dinosaur, now he looks like a demented frog with three plates.

Koopalings. They're boring bosses with boring ways to defeat them. They're the result when game developers wanted to find lazy ways to put bosses in and please some nostalgia whores. I hate them. They're wasted potential, honestly, but I'm judging them from what Nintendo did and Nintendo was pretty cruel to them.

Geno. Need I say more? Why do some of his fans act like he even has a ghost of a chance of even making it into recent games?

Luigi. I sorta like him, but he's still overrated. Baby Luigi is better

Baby Luigi. OMG why does everyone likes that stupid small green thing. What the hell is this? He's just a freaking palette swap of Baby Mario with only marginal differences, he's pretty much a dumbass in distress in the Yoshi's Island games, and he WON'T SHUT UP in Partners in Time (oh my god, please, someone rip his vocal chords out). And yet he has FANS? WTF? His voice also sounds whiny and nasally. I hate him.

Baby Luigi said:
Koopalings. They're boring bosses with boring ways to defeat them. They're the result when game developers wanted to find lazy ways to put bosses in and please some nostalgia whores. I hate them. They're wasted potential, honestly, but I'm judging them from what Nintendo did and Nintendo was pretty cruel to them.

Baby Luigi. OMG why does everyone likes that stupid small green thing. What the hell is this? He's just a freaking palette swap of Baby Mario with only marginal differences, he's pretty much a dumbass in distress in the Yoshi's Island games, and he WON'T SHUT UP in Partners in Time (oh my god, please, someone rip his vocal chords out). And yet he has FANS? WTF? His voice also sounds whiny and nasally. I hate him.
L.O.L. at that second part. I find the first part somewhat agreeable. I really wish Nintendo would stop wasting those kids. If you think about, Bowser Jr. is the only in the Koopa family that hasn't had that happen to him. But yeah, if Nintendo can use Bowser Jr. beyond his potential, then I know they could use Bowser to his full potential more often and of course, use the Koopalings to their full potential. However, I'm afraid that will only happen in fan-made games. Nintendo could have done so much with them but no, the become a waste. If only Nintendo would give them more interesting battles.:(

Does Diddy Kong count as a Mario character? He appears in quite a few Mario spin-offs. I can't stand Diddy. So annoying and useless in those spin-off games. Besides, Dixie is the better Kong. Donkey Kong's alright.

Randombob-omb4761 said:
The Stupid Pink Princess Thing, SHE IS A B**CH, I hate her voice.
I laughed.

anyway Mario, yoshi and Luigi are oviously overrated.

anyone that 's a staple in the Mario games could be considered overrated

This topic seems to be getting to characters people don't like

Meta Knight said:
I don't outright hate Bowser, I just feel that he's way overused. Plus, like I said before, he's not the great of a villain. He's far better at being an anti-hero, like in most of the RPGs.

Solar Blaze said:
Meta Knight said:
I don't outright hate Bowser, I just feel that he's way overused. Plus, like I said before, he's not the great of a villain. He's far better at being an anti-hero, like in most of the RPGs.

I agree with that

Solar Blaze said:
Meta Knight said:

Bowser actually was an awesome villain in Paper Mario 1 but that was about it. I don't know of anyone that I think is overrated well maybe except Birdo but that just because I hate her :P.

Yeah, there are a few exceptions, with the first Paper Mario being one of them, but other than that (and arguably the first Super Mario Galaxy), Bowser's almost a complete joke nowadays. There have been so many villains throughout the series that have proven themselves to be far more cunning and competent than he's ever been.

As for Birdo... You're seriously saying that she's overrated? She gets next to nothing but hate, presumably because of Nintendo being indecisive about her gender. I'm one of the very few people on this forum (and possibly the fandom as a whole) who has nothing against her whatsoever. In fact, I'll gladly admit that she's one of my favorite characters.

Solar Blaze said:
Yeah, there are a few exceptions, with the first Paper Mario, but other than that (and arguably the first Super Mario Galaxy), Bowser's almost a complete joke nowadays.

As for Birdo... You're seriously saying that she's overrated? She gets next to nothing but hate, presumably because of Nintendo being indecisive about her gender. I'm one of the very few people on this forum (and possibly the fandom as a whole) who has nothing against her whatsoever. In fact, I'll gladly admit that she's one of my favorite characters.
Ditto on Birdo. She's also my #1 pitcher in Super Sluggers.

I wouldn't say she's in my favourites, but I don't despise her, mainly because the thing between her and Yoshi

I like Birdo as well.

I love to hate Birdo. Her design sucks.

Back