Why I don't like the Luigi fanbase

I agree, OP. The Luigi fanbase can be very obnoxious about Luigi's qualities and their hate for Mario. However, Mario's personality isn't as developed as it should be. He's clearly shown emotions and mannerisms to expand upon, yet he remains as "the avatar". Like Link, it's time Nintendo develops his character more. It seems silly not to at this point. :mario:

If you seen videos of Charles Martinet as Mario speaking to other people, you can see how much potential Mario has to be a fun character.

Baby Luigi said:
If you seen videos of Charles Martinet as Mario speaking to other people, you can see how much potential Mario has to be a fun character.

Even you admit he has potential to be a fun character or is my indoctrination finally successful?

I like depicting Mario punching Luigi in the face.

Baby Luigi said:

Ah, good point. Almost forgot about those. Which further baffles me on why they don't do much to expand on those emotions in the games. They can do so much more with him than what they're currently doing.

Smashman48 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Ah, good point. Almost forgot about those. Which further baffles me on why they don't do much to expand on those emotions in the games. They can do so much more with him than what they're currently doing.
Why is Mario a cypher despite all his potential? Because plot and character depth is not welcome in the Mario series. The RPGs mostly get away with sneaking some content in, but as we saw with Sticker Star, if certain folks at Nintendo always had their way, even those games would be hollow...

I wouldn't say plot and character isn't welcome, I think Nintendo just doesn't care about it because the games will sell anyway

Walkazo said:
Smashman48 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Why is Mario a cypher despite all his potential? Because plot and character depth is not welcome in the Mario series. The RPGs mostly get away with sneaking some content in, but as we saw with Sticker Star, if certain folks at Nintendo always had their way, even those games would be hollow...
When Mario has a distinct personality in Fortune Street (he yammers in that game), people don't scream for the end of the world, and I liked his happy-go-lucky personality.

Well yeah, fans like it when the characters are characters. It's certain developers who think that having plots and stuff is unnecessary and/or bad for a game.

Well, anyway, I can always incorporate a personality in Mario. But, I Luigi fanboys/girls don't hate Mario for a lack of personality; they hate him for stealing Luigi's spotlight, even though lately, both are getting pretty much equal treatment in terms of playability.

Well, I don't really understand these people that to love something have to hate something else... Mario and Luigi are awesome characters then why the hate?

And Mario isn't flat, he has personality just like Luigi. Mario is the brave, determined, kind (not that Luigi isn't) brother while Luigi is the funny, coward(but brave when needed), somewhat lazy brother.

mario doesnt even have a character to begin with

you cant say something has a personality which said character only really says "ya wah yahooooooo"

mario is an avatar or in this case a silent protagonist(a very poor one at that).

Zae said:

you cant say something has a personality which said character only really says "ya wah yahooooooo"

mario is an avatar or in this case a silent protagonist(a very poor one at that).
Luigi isn't much different than this. The only exception I can remember is the Paper Mario series where he talks more than Mario.

Wargreymon said:
Zae said:

Luigi isn't much different than this. The only exception I can remember is the Paper Mario series where he talks more than Mario.
*cough*LUIGI'S MANSION*cough*

I have to agree that Mario has very little character basis. You can say he's brave and determined but this is a mostly fan-based assumption. Where is the evidence of a personality? What, is he determined because he rescues the princess? If that's the case, then Luigi's pretty much the same thing, as are the rest of the playable characters you can choose from. Between Luigi's Mansion and the RPG's (granted, most of the RPG's weren't developed by Nintendo if memory serves), Luigi's had much more character development.

Madikoopa said:
*cough*LUIGI'S MANSION*cough*

I have to agree that Mario has very little character basis. You can say he's brave and determined but this is a mostly fan-based assumption. Where is the evidence of a personality? What, is he determined because he rescues the princess? If that's the case, then Luigi's pretty much the same thing, as are the rest of the playable characters you can choose from. Between Luigi's Mansion and the RPG's (granted, most of the RPG's weren't developed by Nintendo if memory serves), Luigi's had much more character development.
Luigi's Mansion or Luigi's Mansion: Darkmoon? I still haven't played the second, but the first one he only says "Mariooooo". :lol:

"You can say he's brave and determined but this is a mostly fan-based assumption." It is not... These traits you can assume in many games, inclusive the RPGs. The determination you can see specially in sports spin-offs. It's not because Luigi has more character development that Mario has none.

Wargreymon said:
Zae said:

lol it isnt quite the same, as mario shows no signs of a personality while luigi has a more personal responses to situations(although in all reality this just exists in rpgs).

Although mario characters outside of the rpgs are beyond lackluster.

Mario does show personality, but just not in many games. Mario Power Tennis, Fortune Street, that press conference, that E3 thing, that Nintendo World thing, and others.

It's funny how Mario's the one who's supposed to be silent, how Mario's the "flat" guy, but you hear him speak in full sentences more than any other character in the entire series. And no, I mean literally hear him.

I love Luigi, but he probably has one of the worst fanbases ever, hence why I think he's possibly the most overrated character in the series. Most Luigi fans tend to be Mario haters and rapidly attack and insult Mario any chance they get. I love both bros. equally and both of them deserve equal respect.

Also, I honestly don't mind Mario being a flat character. It allows us, the fans, the choose a personality for him and portray him however we like and/or feel as if we actually are Mario. Similar to Link for the Zelda series.

MarioLuigi25 said:
I love Luigi, but he probably has one of the worst fanbases ever, hence why I think he's possibly the most overrated character in the series. Most Luigi fans tend to be Mario haters and rapidly attack and insult Mario any chance they get. I love both bros. equally and both of them deserve equal respect.

Also, I honestly don't mind Mario being a flat character. It allows us, the fans, the choose a personality for him and portray him however we like and/or feel as if we actually are Mario. Similar to Link for the Zelda series.

Apologies for the large bump, but I've seem to noticed that Link doesn't get as much hate as Mario for being a mostly "flat character" Seems kinda weird.

Also, I don't think Luigi has THE worst fanbase, but they certainly don't treat Mario that well. (From what I've noticed.)

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
Apologies for the large bump, but I've seem to noticed that Link doesn't get as much hate as Mario for being a mostly "flat character" Seems kinda weird.

I think because Link never showed personality at all while Mario did when Charles Martinet was talking to people as him.

Baby Luigi said:
PeskyPlumbers64 said:

I think because Link never showed personality at all while Mario did when Charles Martinet was talking to people as him.

Not even in the CD-I games? :lol:

Those don't exist. I don't know what you're talking about

Back