Your Worst Mario Characters

Eh, I've never really liked their designs. Still, something other than Toads is nice.

All the Sunshine characters were used a heap in the GameCube era, now all we have is Bowser Jr. and the occasional Petey Piranha.

Toadsworth pretty much vanished off the map too.

Honestly I forgot about Toadsworth for a second, even though I wrote about him in my other post. :/

They only really keep the ones with a fanbase or reason in the story. I guess that's understandable, but consistency would be nice, instead of having heaps of one-offs.

Roger Smith said:
toads are just these filler NPC's that have little to no personality
toadette is basically just a toad they decided to make female
princess peach is a stereotypical "oh no I got kidnapped help pls tyvm" character (outside of RPG's)
bowser is also a stereotypical "dur hurr I'm evil and want to *bleep* stuff up" character (again outside of RPG's, but I'm a little less harsh on him since he looks awesome)
the koopalings are just glorified koopas. they legit have nothing to differentiate themselves with besides appearance
Now, I think there are considerations to be made.
As a whole, I would say that Nintendo so far failed to recognize the importance of characters, location and story develoment in the Super Mario series.
Koizumi and his team got these aspects pretty much right in Super Mario Sunshine and in Super Mario Galaxy and - guess what? - Rosalina became a fan favorite, Isle Delfino became a memorable place in the Mario universe, with his inhabitants still used even in the more recent games not even developed by Nintendo, Bowser Jr. immediately became an important character - pretty much a year after his introduction - and so on.
It is true that gameplay must take the front seat, and I will never deny this, however this infrastructure of well developed characters and locations is something tangential to it - it doesn't necessarily negatively affect the gameplay if done right - and if not abused with everything being constantly reinvented, it can build an interesting universe full of recognizable locations and characters you might like or not, but that still contribute in creating a really interesting fresco - Super Mario 3D World had a huge chance in this sense with the Sprixie Kingdom, the Sprixie Princesses, Peach not being kidnapped and Mario and Luigi being plumbers at the beginning of the game, but I don't think we had many memorable places and characters out of it, unfortunately.
To name another peculiar example, look at Nabbit's page on the Wiki, where his quote comes from a game developed by SEGA - this would have been quite grotesque 20 years ago!

That being said, I don't fully understand your point: while I agree that original RPG characters are really nice and usually have had their own personality and barring the Toads that are not a single character (and actually, even in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker there are like 5 of them - little more if you count the Mummy-Mes, this "Toad saturation" seems to be mainly a "new Paper Mario" thing), I would say that all the characters you listed had the personality developed beyond what you said, in RPG games (including the Koopalings that badly needed it - until then most of the in-game lines of dialogue came from the PC version of Mario is Missing plus an obscure "interactive" Japanese game, while most of "character development" came from Mario Kart 8 ) and spin-off games, including the Mario sports games - and even if nowadays there are less of them, the handheld versions, and now even the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic games have some lines of dialogue that show us the personality of Team Mario characters, and Bowser's story in the additional chapters of the 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games showed us quite an interesting Bowser, in my opinion. Actually, even Super Mario Sunshine showed us a different side of Bowser's personality.

Personally, I would be interested in Nintendo reevaluating Koizumi's works and trying again what he tried in Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy without the gameplay taking the back seat - it doesn't need to, as they are different aspects.

Ninelevendo said:
3D Games have done a decent job with that, however a lot of the species introduced only appear for a few spin-off games and never become mainstays, which would be nice if they did.
We also didn't *have* a lot of spin-offs in the first place in this generation so far.

A Mario Golf and Mario Strikers for Wii U would have been good (don't care about Baseball since that would likely be an America only thing), but all we have is a 888MB Tennis game, another meh Mario & Sonic game and Mario Party 9 with amiibo.

Having spin-offs is one thing, but we haven't even had any good spin-offs. (I think I'm going off topic a little bit.)

My least favorites are:

Fuzzy: I don't like its goofy, somewhat ugly appearance, and they are annoying enemies to face without powerups or items.

Fawful: I don't like the character or his fanbase.

Yoshi: I find him annoying, and some of his voice clips, mainly the one when he gets 2nd or 3rd place in Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the ones in Mario Strikers Charged were he chases his tail when he scores a goal, and angrily shakes his fists towards the opponent if he loses are some of the worst I've ever heard in my life.

Koindozer: I don't like that these guys are unkillable and will almost always instantly kill you in DKC3, but at least they only appear in one level, albeit a hard one.

A51_Trooper said:
Yoshi: I find him annoying, and some of his voice clips, mainly the one when he gets 2nd or 3rd place in Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the ones in Mario Strikers Charged were he chases his tail when he scores a goal, and angrily shakes his fists towards the opponent if he loses are some of the worst I've ever heard in my life.
All of them are awful, but Yoshi's Galaxy 2 voice in general, Yoshi's losing voice clips in Mario Kart 8, and Yoshi's taunt voices in Mario Party 8 stand out the most for me.

I also legit dislike Yoshi, compared to Wario, where he's a natural comic relief punching bag.

His voice is awful. His design is also dumb and stupid.

Striker Mario said:

He's designed to be like a dinosaur.

I'm neutral against Wario. I don't play as him, but he is such a fun CPU opponent to face, especially in the Mario Parties or Strikers Charged. His theme song in Strikers Charged makes me laugh almost every time, and who isn't a fan of "D'oh I missed"?

I'll share sentiments with others in that Wario makes a good punch bag.

As Rosalina , in games like MK7 , i like to have a team where i lead alongside either Peach or Daisy (or both) against Wario and DK in Battle Mode Shells only.

One because he deserves to suffer and the other because it's apparently Scooby Doo trapped inside an Ape's body.

heh, that's how my blue team is usually set up. except wario is so hilarious in that game that we refuse to battle if he's not in there.

we should probably team up in battle mode in mario kart 7. so i can stalk wario and make his life miserable

you are an idiot :babyluigi:

it can't be the weakest game in the series, not with wario's "WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH" voice clip.

the weakest game in the mario kart series is super mario kart, and solely because wario isn't in it

Striker Mario said:

True talk , MK7 is far from being the ''weakest''

Not only this pick depends from user to user , being 100% realistic , it just isn't.

Back