1. Pink Gold Peach

Toadette is fucking adorable though

SuperDoom said:
5 Lamest Mario Characters
5. Captain Toad
4. Toadette
2. Peach

YOU TAKE THAT BACK GOOD SIR

I like Toadette quite a bit too. She is certainly a better pick for me rather than Toad , which i dont minf most of the time

I like how Toadette is slowly getting bigger roles.

First was Captain Toad, then Paper Jam. Maybe she might even appear in Color Splash if we get lucky.

Roger Smith said:
I still consider her kinda generic tbh

grated I consider the majority of non-RPG characters in the whole series generic so

a good chunk of mario rpg characters are very generic though

Roger Smith said:
I still consider her kinda generic tbh

grated I consider the majority of non-RPG characters in the whole series generic so

and yet most of the rpg characters are just variations of pre-existing designs

Depends, do you mean in Mario or in general?

Well visually Fawful's design is almost right out of Tomato's adventure, and he has E.Gadd's single hair and swirly glasses thing.

The rest not so much, however they are the exceptions not the rule.

Roger Smith said:
What exactly makes the majority of the non-RPG characters generic?

Striker Mario said:
Roger Smith said:
toads are just these filler NPC's that have little to no personality
toadette is basically just a toad they decided to make female
princess peach is a stereotypical "oh no I got kidnapped help pls tyvm" character (outside of RPG's)
bowser is also a stereotypical "dur hurr I'm evil and want to fuck stuff up" character (again outside of RPG's, but I'm a little less harsh on him since he looks awesome)
the koopalings are just glorified koopas. they legit have nothing to differentiate themselves with besides appearance

as much as i like the shroobs, they're just regular aliens bent on destroying the world, a trope we've seen countless times. hell, x-nauts can be considered that as well.

spm npcs aside from the major ones like bleck or dimentio or o'chunks are literally triangles with faces

Roger Smith said:
Striker Mario said:
Roger Smith said:
princess peach is a stereotypical "oh no I got kidnapped help pls tyvm" character (outside of RPG's)
bowser is also a stereotypical "dur hurr I'm evil and want to *bleep* stuff up" character (again outside of RPG's, but I'm a little less harsh on him since he looks awesome)
the koopalings are just glorified koopas. they legit have nothing to differentiate themselves with besides appearance

I could point to every rpg character pretty much and layout examples of where their character type has been done before.

Hell most Mario characters in general.

Roger Smith said:
Striker Mario said:
Roger Smith said:
bowser is also a stereotypical "dur hurr I'm evil and want to *bleep* stuff up" character (again outside of RPG's, but I'm a little less harsh on him since he looks awesome)
Oh, so you're basing them on stereotypes rather than design?

Well, I guess the RPG characters have slightly more compelling personalities (emphasis on slightly), but I've never felt attached to them. I still don't see what makes them "less generic" than Bowser or Toad or Mario or Luigi or Yoshi though (even though I view Yoshi as a boring character, I wouldn't necessarily say he's generic). Like Punies to Toads, they're both unique in their own way. MaRPGs have their own share of forgettable characters too. Anyone remember Shelltops? Dr. Snoozemore? Jabbies?

If you want generic, Super Paper Mario is a good start. Oh, that's an RPG, never mind.

I guess the difference is we've seen Toads and Yoshi dozens of times already. While the Punies may be no more unique than Toads, they at least offer a visual change of pace as opposed to recycling the same species.

True, but I don't see how that would be confined within Mario RPGs. The other game series have their share of colorful creatures like Gotchawrenchs, Piantas, Nokis, Whittles, Lumas, Gearmos, and even Black Dudes.

I never said it was. The RPGs just do it more often. Sunshine was definitely a nice change of pace. Not just in terms of species, but overall aesthetic and introducing new characters who would go on to become mainstays.

Mario Party is one of the RPGs competitor for introducing interesting unique characters :P

GalacticPetey said:
I guess the difference is we've seen Toads and Yoshi dozens of times already. While the Punies may be no more unique than Toads, they at least offer a visual change of pace as opposed to recycling the same species.

Pretty much. Though the toad saturation doesn't apply so much to the 3D Marios, there was like 4-6 toads max in 3D World I think.

That's because you're in the Sprixie Kingdom. :P

Though it's a pretty pointless place since it's so similar to Mushroom Kingdom, and it hasn't really been explored in the subsequent games.

Non of the 3D Platformers have had many Toads, 64 had the few around the castle the castle, Sushine has Toadsworth and like, only two other Taods or something, Galaxy games had the five Toads in the Toad Brigade, 3D Land had them in the Toad Houses and throughout certain levels, (they're the same ones seem in the intro, but I doubt that anyone noticed that) and 3D World basically replaced most of them with Sprixies and re-added Captain Toad.

3D Games have done a decent job with that, however a lot of the species introduced only appear for a few spin-off games and never become mainstays, which would be nice if they did.

I miss the days of piantas and nokis being regulars.

Back