Your Worst Mario Characters

I think Solar Blaze sees Bowser double crossing Antasma as a cop out because there was no reason for it, and it did kind of come out of he blue.

1. Ah, so you truly are the same person as mrbowser, after all. I thought about asking, but it looks like I've already gotten my answer.

As an aside, if this thread further degenerates in crossboard drama and metaposting, we'll be more than happy to take an hatchet to it. Keep this gamefaqs bullshit off my lawn.

Glowsquid said:
As an aside, if this thread further degenerates in crossboard drama and metaposting, we'll be more than happy to take an hatchet to it. Keep this gamefaqs bullshit off my lawn.
What "drama"? This is merely a friendly, on-topic debate. Neither of us have dished out any personal attacks whatsoever. I've even specifically stated that he's free to think what he wants, and I bear no grudge against him for it.

Casey Jones said:
I think Solar Blaze sees Bowser double crossing Antasma as a cop out because there was no reason for it, and it did kind of come out of he blue.
Exactly.

They go through the trouble of coming up with an interesting new villain just to drown him out the moment Bowser comes into the picture? Really? That was such a slap in the face to people like me who not only don't like Bowser very much, but consider him to be severely overused. Being the main antagonist of the series, Bowser has had more than his share of time in the spotlight, and that certainly wouldn't have been the last time we'd see him. Antasma, on the other hand... Seeing how RPG villains are never (or rarely ever) used again, that was most likely the one chance he had to shine, and they completely blew it. I feel as if they just totally wasted his potential.

But then you come to what potential Antasma ever had in the first place, which frankly wasn't much. He was a pretty one note villain lacking any unique qualities that the previous ones of the past.

So a one off bad guy is made to look like a chump and the main antagonist of the series is made better for it. Nothing of value was really lost.

Mcmadness said:
But then you come to what potential Antasma ever had in the first place, which frankly wasn't much. He was a pretty one note villain lacking any unique qualities that the previous ones of the past.
Again, it's all a matter of personal preference. I'm pretty sure they could have pulled off something if Antasma was given ample development time, but they chose not to.

Mcmadness said:
So a one off bad guy is made to look like a chump and the main antagonist of the series is made better for it.
In my eyes, that made him look worse, because that game (along with Yoshi's New Island) pretty much confirmed everything I've been saying about the blatant favoritism that's been getting played towards Bowser recently.

Both games just go to show that they would do anything, anything to have him BS his way into the final boss slot, no matter what they have to do to accomplish it.

Looking at the first page, I am surprised that 2257 didn't turn this topic into a flamewar.

The difference between YNI and Dream Team is that in Dream Team Bowser was properly forshadowed, he was there for pretty much the entire game. Also I find it rather ridiculous that the ONE time Bowser is the ultimate villain in the M&L series, a series by a specific developer with their own ideas that up to that time had never given his time in the spot light, its apparently shoehorned in. That is incorrect, shoehorning would be him having never appear till the very end, like in YNI which isn't all that great of an example anyhow since it wasn't really very good.

Mcmadness said:
The difference between YNI and Dream Team is that in Dream Team Bowser was properly forshadowed, he was there for pretty much the entire game.
Aside from Bowser's claim that he "Doesn't 'vork' with anyone!", there was no foreshadowing of that whatsoever.

Also I find it rather ridiculous that the ONE time Bowser is the ultimate villain in the M&L series, a series by a specific developer with their own ideas that up to that time had never given his time in the spot light, its apparently shoehorned in.
You're saying he never had time in the spotlight in the Mario & Luigi series? What about Bowser's Inside Story, which is pretty much his own game? Sure, Mario's and Luigi's names are still in the title, but that game was centered around Bowser moreso than the two of them. Unlike the other RPGs where Bowser formed temporary alliances with Mario, he and Luigi were the ones assisting him, rather than the other way around.

Sorry, I meant time in the spotlight as the villain.

And actually there is plenty of forshadowing, the difference is unlike say Dimentio its more subtle. There is of course the earlier line of not working with others but there are also things like how you spend most of the game fighting his minions, Neo Bowser Castle is named after him and is mostly full of his insignia.

Then there are moments like when Antasma says he wants to rule the world but then Bowser says he can't do that because thats what he wants to do so Antasma changes it to having absolute freedom. Now pretty much everyone could tell that Antasma was clearly lying and just placating Bowser so he'll stay on his side. But in doing so he pretty much puts Bowser in a position where he couldn't be made expendable and in trying to keep Bowser on his side he all but gave him the keys to the entire scheme, right down to him holding the dream stone. And Bowser knew this pretending to be ignorant of the whole scheme till Antasma had no further use to him and was starting to get cocky with his assumed manipulation over Bowser,

This is why Bowser tosses Antasma to the curb the moment he says ''I hath Bowser on my side'' which no longer implies a partnership but one is over the other and all this is made obvious when Bowser says ''How? I'll tell you how, this castle, the dream stone, its all mine.'' which signifies how Antasma had unknowingly given all the real power to Bowser.

Mcmadness said:
''I hath Bowser on my side''
*"Haff". :P

In all seriousness, you do bring up some valid points, I'll admit. On the other hand, it could also be argued...

...That Antasma truly didn't have any intention of double-crossing Bowser at all, and it was merely a misunderstanding on the latter's end. Like, for instance, Antasma first started off as merely trying to escape from the dream world, and he could have tossed Bowser aside the moment he got out. Then, there was the incident with the dream beats. Antasma himself was unaffected by them, but Bowser was clearly susceptible to its effects, and was most likely warned about them in advance.

Also, seeing how Antasma had at least two occasions to make wishes from the Dream Stone (since, unlike the Bean Star or other such similar wish-granting devices, it can't seem to distinguish between good and evil), at least one of them could have been used to make Bowser disappear (just as the latter attempted to do Mario and Luigi before the Dream Stone was shattered), but he didn't go through with that.

Then, there was the part where Antasma convinced Bowser to go to sleep. That, right there, was definitely a time when Bowser was vulnerable, and Antasma was true to his word about simply using his dreams to power the castle.
Note: For future reference, it's probably a good idea if we put all Dream Team-related spoilers in tags, since there are most likely people who still haven't played it. I'll be editing my previous posts to do the same.

Tried to spoiler tag my last post, for some reason I can't.

The fact that he specifically said before he wanted to conquer the world makes me think thats what his ultimate goal, I mean you don't wish for an evil castle with an island destroying laser built into it if thats your goal. As for why Antasma never got rid of Bowser I believe like any villain he got too overconfident and assumed he had Bowser wrapped around his finger. Bowser by comparison knew this and went along with it because he knew he was too useful to Antasma to outright get rid of.

Magikrazy said:
supermariofan said:
I don't have a favorite or least favorite character, they're all pretty bland
inb4ftgmcmadnesspointcounterpoint

I haven't even been here for long and already I'm famous for something.

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:
supermariofan said:
I don't have a favorite or least favorite character, they're all pretty bland
inb4ftgmcmadnesspointcounterpoint

I haven't even been here for long and already I'm famous for something.
At least you aren't a wiiking. :X

</inside GameFAQs joke>

I wonder how the OP feels about Pink Gold Peice of F- I mean Pink Gold Peach. Probably about the same as me. I don't like Metal Mario either, he always gives me problems in MK8, he's just a stupid recolor taking up a spot that could've been King Boo, Petey, or another Kong, and he wasn't even a flipping character. Also, screw baby Daisy. She's a pointless baby who wasn't an established character and her voice is annoying.

That Awkward Dude said:
he's just a stupid recolor taking up a spot that could've been King Boo, Petey, or another Kong, and he wasn't even a flipping character
You need to understand game development a bit better.

Metal Mario didn't "replace" someone's slot nor did development that could've been "reserved" for those characters went toward him instead.

Yes, Nintendo's priorities are bad when they had to introduce 7 Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach while leaving out fucking Bowser Jr. of all people but don't single out Metal Mario, k?

Striker Mario said:
That Awkward Dude said:
he's just a stupid recolor taking up a spot that could've been King Boo, Petey, or another Kong, and he wasn't even a flipping character

Metal Mario didn't "replace" someone's slot nor did development that could've been "reserved" for those characters went toward him instead.

Yes, Nintendo's priorities are bad when they had to introduce 7 Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach while leaving out *bleep*ing Bowser Jr. of all people but don't single out Metal Mario, k?
To be 100% fair Kosuke Kabuki, the director of Mario Kart 8 admitted that Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong didn't make it to the game, so probably development was rushed and they indeed didn't manage to introduce the characters they wanted, but the "clones" likely aren't instead of these ones, they are probably an expedient.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/interview_mario_kart_8_director_kosuke_yabuki_on_key_features_of_the_wii_us_blockbuster_release

Mister Wu said:
Striker Mario said:
That Awkward Dude said:

Yes, Nintendo's priorities are bad when they had to introduce 7 Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach, Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, Tanooki Mario, and Cat Peach while leaving out *bleep*ing Bowser Jr. of all people but don't single out Metal Mario, k?
To be 100% fair Kosuke Kabuki, the director of Mario Kart 8 admitted that Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong didn't make it to the game, so probably development was rushed and they indeed didn't manage to introduce the characters they wanted, but the "clones" likely aren't instead of these ones, they are probably an expedient.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/interview_mario_kart_8_director_kosuke_yabuki_on_key_features_of_the_wii_us_blockbuster_release

I'm not sure if that's pr damage control or something.

Baby Luigi said:
Mister Wu said:
Striker Mario said:
That Awkward Dude said:

I'm not sure if that's pr damage control or something.
You mean something like "No, we didn't even think about inserting them, but since they are mentioned frequently in forums/review sites/whatever, we will mention them too so you know we still consider them important even if we don't".

Back