Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Depends if it still has 8 player (which they showed 8 of them linking in the Splatoon thing, so it's possible) and is powerful enough to handle it. It might be, sounds promising.

Northern Verve said:
See, I think the Split has potential to kill the portable gaming market. What exactly would Smash 3DS have once the hypothetical Switch version has everything besides being able to get modded? Portability's out the window.

So it hasn't been confirmed but a Switch port looks very likely. Time to hop back down the rabbit hole of character speculation. I'm sure this will be a very civil and orderly time for all of us.

Before I dive into the meat of this, I'll address other aspects. I can't see any major new modes being added. If they could somehow get Smash Run to function on a console, maybe. I'd love it if we had a big, SSE style adventure again, but that's just dreaming.

As far as stages go, I predict all the Wii U stages plus some popular ones from the 3DS. Probably Magicant, Gerudo Valley, Prisim Tower, Yoshi's Island Brawl, and Corneria. They'll also add stages for the newcomers and bring back some popular retro stages.

Roster wise, we're starting off at the old game's roster (plus DLC), which sits at 58. Quite a hefty number. For the sake of balance, I can't see them adding too many more characters. It's a miracle the roster is as balanced as it is. So what are we looking at in the way of additions? Five? Seems a little low. I want to say seven. Bring the number to a nice 65. So who do we add? The first instinct is to bring back a few cut vets. The most obvious are the Ice Climbers. Assuming the Switch can potentially handle 16 on screen at once (which it should), then there's no reason for them not to return. The other logical choice is Wolf. He's popular, easy to implement, and just had a starring role in a recent game. It's a no brainer.

Now, the only other cut vet who even remotely has a chance in Snake. Now he's a bit of a tricky case. He's up there with ICs and Wolf in terms of demand. But as with any third party character, there's a lot of legal gymnastics required. If Konami is willing to play nice, I could see it happen. They are a partner for the Switch iirc. Who knows.

Now it's time to move onto new characters. Right now we're sitting at 60/61 characters, depending on the Snake situation. So that leaves four or five newcomers. To justify spending 60 dollars on this game again, they need to be some worthwhile additions.

The most obvious is Inkling. Splatoon was a massive hit on the Wii U and doesn't show any sign of stopping soon. They're a perfect fit.

I have a feeling that the ballot will be used to chose newcomers. I feel like it was for DLC, but also a way to see what the people wanted for future games. So my next slot goes to a DK character. Either Dixie or K. Rool. If this were a new game, and not just an enhanced port, I would say both have a chance, but I can only see them adding one DK character for this. It will probably come down to whichever one Sakurai likes more. We know Dixie has been considered in the past, so she has that going for her. I would personally like to see K. Rool more, but whatever.

The next slot goes to a Gen VII Pokémon. I unfortunately will not be able to play Sun and Moon until Christmas, but from what I'm gathering, Decidueye seems like the best candidate. It's got a cool, sleek design and a lot of potential with its archery based moveset. Plus it seems to be the most popular online. A new Pokémon is a pretty safe bet regardless.

I feel like at least one third party has to be added to help gear up hype. This one is pretty tricky. Mega Man and Pac-Man were obvious picks but we still got really surprising additions like Ryu and Cloud. This could really be any number of characters. A pretty safe guess would be Rayman. He's a gaming icon and does have a trophy. If this whole Mario / Rabbids thing is true, that would boost his chances. My personal pick would be Banjo and Kazooie, but Microsoft is a whole 'nother beast to work with. Simon Belmont would be fun and fitting, but again, Konami.

That brings us to 65. Or 64 if Snake doesn't work out. This last slot is tricky and could be anyone. Another third party maybe? There aren't too many other major Nintendo newcomers for this slot. If it was a brand new game, more obscure characters like Chibi Robo might have a chance, but the picks for an enhanced port need to be bigger selling points, and unfortunately characters I really love, like Impa, just don't have that appeal. Maybe Isaac, but even that's a stretch. If we look to the game's unused files, we do see that a Rhythm Heaven character of some sort was planned. I don't know how likely they are for this hypothetical port, but food for thought. So this last one could be anyone. Of course, if Snake is added, this will be filled anyway.

Here's a pic because I enjoy making these. Hopefully they alter the CSS so it's not as much of an eyesore.
uw6wdRz.png

One thing I'm kinda concerned about the Switch port is what if people are bringing back speculation for nothing. And they don't add any new characters (Though all 7 DLC Characters would be packed in at the very least to compensate, maybe they'd become unlockable characters in the Switch version. Anyone want to post some of their ideal criteria for unlocking the DLC Characters?) or even substantial enough additions to it that it won't really be worth it for those who already own the game for the Wii U other then the possibility that more people will have the Switch then people do the Wii U to play Online with

Sure the MK8 Port is getting new characters and even a decent gameplay change with two items. But there's a pretty significant difference between how much work is put into characters between Mario Kart and Smash. Since Smash isn't as simple as making all the animations, balance is put into the table. And Mario Kart often has many characters that are practically on the same level of playing field with a few more characters. And there's the possibility that Namco is satisfied already with where it's at. They just want to port Smash 4 to a system that has the potential of selling alot better then the Wii U did.

Even if there are additional characters, I don't really have high hopes in regards to many I'm kinda thinking 3 at most. (Probably 2 of those 3 being veterans like Wolf and Ice Climbers, and just one Newcomer) While the minimum is still no additional characters at all. The only thing that will relieve me of this doubt is if we get some kind of trailer that announces a new character(/s) especially during whatever comes in that January Switch thing Nintendo is doing. I'd love to be wrong. But I can't help but feel people may get their hopes a little too high for the beginning of a 3rd speculation phase for Smash 4 that may prove to be balloons of false hope, and desperation that will just disappoint everybody.

(This may seem a bit contradictory since I was the first one to post about the possibility of additional content in this very thread. But you could consider that part of a Post-Switch reveal hype high. I'm just saying my concerns as reality kinda sets in on what could really be coming out of all this)

I think there has to be at least five new characters to justify the purchase. Obviously people who skipped the Wii U will buy it regardless of who's in it, but I feel like there has to be something more for people like me who bought the Wii U version and got the DLC. If there's nothing new there is no incentive to buy it. I'll admit that seven is probably being too hopeful, but I feel like another update the size of the DLC we got wouldn't be too out there. Seven characters and nine stages. It would essentially be another wave or phase of DLC, similar to what he got for the original.

While I do share some concerns with SonicMario about getting a little too optimistic about the roster, if we even get a port, I think it's pretty likely we'd get at least a few additions to help it sell. I don't think seven is completely out of the question either, 65 is a nice number. I'm going to go ahead and jump into the fire and comment on GP's post:

-Pretty much completely agree with GP on the veterans. Ice Climbers and Wolf should definitely be brought back. Snake is pretty much 50/50, completely depends on Konami there. Hope they're willing as having those three back would make things pretty perfect imo. The other four don't stand much of a chance.

-I'd honestly be more willing to bet on Inkling's inclusion over anyone else, including Ice Climbers and Wolf. The game sold very well and is quite popular, the characters show up everywhere, I really just don't see a reason for them not to show up.

-I hate to say this because I'd to see one more than anything else sans maybe the Icies, but apart from maybe Snake I think a Donkey Kong newcomer is the most iffy on that list. But both are among the most requested characters, so there's that. As much as I detested the relevancy argument during SSB4 speculation it definitely seemed to have an impact on the roster in retrospect, so King K. Rool is unfortunately likely out. Dixie on the other hand has Tropical Freeze and like you said has been considered in the past so I think she definitely has a shot. Didn't really get why she wasn't on the roster to begin with, honestly.

-There's always room for someone from whatever the latest Pokémon is. I also will likely not play Gen VII until Christmas and don't know much about it yet, but I know everyone seems to love the Rowlet line and Decidueye seems like it would work well. I guess it'd also finish off the starter type trio, for those who still care about that for whatever strange reason.

-A third party or two seems like a strong possibility, but who it would be is pretty difficult to say. Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch is one of the most likely ones in my opinion, the series has become really big and Level 5 has pretty close ties with Nintendo. Rayman could definitely be a contender too. Simon (and Bomberman for that matter) might be possible depending on Konami again. I don't really want this personally, but maybe even an indie character like Shovel Knight or Shantae? Not really sure who else it could be.

-As long as most of the characters are super hyping like most of the above, I actually do think they could take a chance on a less obvious surprise. While Isaac's chance has probably long passed, Chibi-Robo and Rhythm Heaven both had recent games so either is possible. Perhaps a notable character from another already represented series, such as (Captain) Toad, Paper Mario, another Animal Crossing character, or Xenoblade X whoever.

So yeah that's about yet, may bring others up if I think of them.

now we watch as we instead get about ten new fire emblem characters

lol I listened to SourceGaming's latest podcast earlier today where they speculated a Smash for Switch and they also said seven characters and nearly had an identical line-up. Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inkling, K. Rool, Decidueye, 3rd party, and someone else iirc.

I don't know, but if the Switch version offers something god-forsakenly amazing like the combination of co-op Smash Run, Toad/Toadette and Baby Mario/Baby Luigi being playable, Ice Climbers returned, Rayman is playable, buffed Dr. Mario, introduced dozens of actual alternate costumes and not lame-ass Mii costumes, made all 8-player Smash stages available, add more stages, improved the record-keeping, revert the Star KO mechanics as to how it always was in Brawl, then I'll be interested.

Pretty much nothing short of a miracle. Of course, there's the prospect for a portable Smash Wii U... but I love my modded Smash Wii U too much.

I think it's too early to speculate now, but I can imagine Sakurai itching to get Wolf and Ice Climbers in the game. I wish Young Link, Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle had their chances, but I see that's a lot of Pokemon... maybe Young Link can come back!? I mean, we had him in Hyrule Warriors. He doesn't need to be a Link clone.

Young Link with a mask moveset, similar to Hyrule Warriors would be lovely. I'll take any Zelda representation at this point. Though I still would love to see Hyrule Warriors Impa added. She has such potential and it's a shame she's not very likely for a Switch port.

I think the DK franchise deserves 2 more playable characters, with those being King K. Rool and Dixie Kong. Kongs such as Tiny, Lanky and Cranky are more suited as Assist Trophies.

I did make a roster wishlist back at SmashBoards, but I ended up getting criticized for a good portion of it.

GalacticPetey said:
So it hasn't been confirmed but a Switch port looks very likely. Time to hop back down the rabbit hole of character speculation. I'm sure this will be a very civil and orderly time for all of us.

Before I dive into the meat of this, I'll address other aspects. I can't see any major new modes being added. If they could somehow get Smash Run to function on a console, maybe. I'd love it if we had a big, SSE style adventure again, but that's just dreaming.

As far as stages go, I predict all the Wii U stages plus some popular ones from the 3DS. Probably Magicant, Gerudo Valley, Prisim Tower, Yoshi's Island Brawl, and Corneria. They'll also add stages for the newcomers and bring back some popular retro stages.

Roster wise, we're starting off at the old game's roster (plus DLC), which sits at 58. Quite a hefty number. For the sake of balance, I can't see them adding too many more characters. It's a miracle the roster is as balanced as it is. So what are we looking at in the way of additions? Five? Seems a little low. I want to say seven. Bring the number to a nice 65. So who do we add? The first instinct is to bring back a few cut vets. The most obvious are the Ice Climbers. Assuming the Switch can potentially handle 16 on screen at once (which it should), then there's no reason for them not to return. The other logical choice is Wolf. He's popular, easy to implement, and just had a starring role in a recent game. It's a no brainer.

Now, the only other cut vet who even remotely has a chance in Snake. Now he's a bit of a tricky case. He's up there with ICs and Wolf in terms of demand. But as with any third party character, there's a lot of legal gymnastics required. If Konami is willing to play nice, I could see it happen. They are a partner for the Switch iirc. Who knows.

Now it's time to move onto new characters. Right now we're sitting at 60/61 characters, depending on the Snake situation. So that leaves four or five newcomers. To justify spending 60 dollars on this game again, they need to be some worthwhile additions.

The most obvious is Inkling. Splatoon was a massive hit on the Wii U and doesn't show any sign of stopping soon. They're a perfect fit.

I have a feeling that the ballot will be used to chose newcomers. I feel like it was for DLC, but also a way to see what the people wanted for future games. So my next slot goes to a DK character. Either Dixie or K. Rool. If this were a new game, and not just an enhanced port, I would say both have a chance, but I can only see them adding one DK character for this. It will probably come down to whichever one Sakurai likes more. We know Dixie has been considered in the past, so she has that going for her. I would personally like to see K. Rool more, but whatever.

The next slot goes to a Gen VII Pokémon. I unfortunately will not be able to play Sun and Moon until Christmas, but from what I'm gathering, Decidueye seems like the best candidate. It's got a cool, sleek design and a lot of potential with its archery based moveset. Plus it seems to be the most popular online. A new Pokémon is a pretty safe bet regardless.

I feel like at least one third party has to be added to help gear up hype. This one is pretty tricky. Mega Man and Pac-Man were obvious picks but we still got really surprising additions like Ryu and Cloud. This could really be any number of characters. A pretty safe guess would be Rayman. He's a gaming icon and does have a trophy. If this whole Mario / Rabbids thing is true, that would boost his chances. My personal pick would be Banjo and Kazooie, but Microsoft is a whole 'nother beast to work with. Simon Belmont would be fun and fitting, but again, Konami.

That brings us to 65. Or 64 if Snake doesn't work out. This last slot is tricky and could be anyone. Another third party maybe? There aren't too many other major Nintendo newcomers for this slot. If it was a brand new game, more obscure characters like Chibi Robo might have a chance, but the picks for an enhanced port need to be bigger selling points, and unfortunately characters I really love, like Impa, just don't have that appeal. Maybe Isaac, but even that's a stretch. If we look to the game's unused files, we do see that a Rhythm Heaven character of some sort was planned. I don't know how likely they are for this hypothetical port, but food for thought. So this last one could be anyone. Of course, if Snake is added, this will be filled anyway.

Here's a pic because I enjoy making these. Hopefully they alter the CSS so it's not as much of an eyesore.
uw6wdRz.png

This is a very nicely written post. I agree with pretty much everything said here.

Ice Climbers, Wolf, and the Inklings are pretty much guaranteed if a port does occur, and if they do add new characters. Decidueye, for as awful as its name is, is a pretty safe bet. The other ones I don't really care, but I'd love to see Paper Mario, Toad or Ridley (he is not too big for the love of God, I'm sure they can make it work).

... Am I the only one who doesn't want Snake to return at all? I hated the man, his moveset is so annoying!

freakworld said:
then why was he there in the first place

It could be considered a sign that Final Fantasy VII may be remade on a Nintendo console in the future. Sometimes the Super Smash Bros. series will advertise stuff that will be released in the future, which included Roy's appearance in Melee, along with the Woolly World stage in Smash Wii U.

Another reason could just be for the fan support. And of course, during development, Final Fantasy VII was originally planned to be made on a Nintendo console before it got moved over to the PlayStation.

my personal guess is that he was chosen because Final Fantasy overall has had a major history with Nintendo console, and while Cloud himself does not, he's pretty much the most iconic FF character and thus made the most sense to represent the series.

Basically while it would of made more sense on the Nintendo side of things to have Terra from FF6 or any of the generic heroes that represent Final Fantasy in the crossovers with Mario that Square has made (Sports Mix and all that). Cloud as the star of the most well-known Final Fantasy game whom is the closest to being a face of the franchise despite the series being something that has an entirely different universe for every main game.

It doesn't make sense from a Nintendo point of view, but on a general gaming history view? It was a no-brainer.

Back