• Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Smasher Claus said:
-A third party or two seems like a strong possibility, but who it would be is pretty difficult to say. Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch is one of the most likely ones in my opinion, the series has become really big and Level 5 has pretty close ties with Nintendo. Rayman could definitely be a contender too. Simon (and Bomberman for that matter) might be possible depending on Konami again. I don't really want this personally, but maybe even an indie character like Shovel Knight or Shantae? Not really sure who else it could be.

If we get Jibanyan over Professor Layton from Level-5, I will be very sad...and I actually liked Yokai Watch.

GalacticPetey said:
Young Link with a mask moveset, similar to Hyrule Warriors would be lovely. I'll take any Zelda representation at this point. Though I still would love to see Hyrule Warriors Impa added. She has such potential and it's a shame she's not very likely for a Switch port.
Impa would also be another great addition, and she would fit right in Super Smash Bros... She's another recurring Link character, and those aren't very common within the series.

GalacticPetey said:
Sakurai has gone on record saying a character does not need to have appeared on a Nintendo console to be eligible for Smash.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
In other words, there are no rules. Sakurai puts in whatever he feels like ultimately.

Guzma said:
If we get Jibanyan over Professor Layton from Level-5, I will be very sad...and I actually liked Yokai Watch.

Oh yeah, Layton. While I feel they'd be more interested in further promoting Yo-kai Watch if they were approached about Smash, Layton is their most successful franchise (for now at least) so there is a possibility there.

tbh I'd be more interested in Jibanyan myself, but I wouldn't object much to either.

LeftyGreenMario said:
GalacticPetey said:
Sakurai has gone on record saying a character does not need to have appeared on a Nintendo console to be eligible for Smash.

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
In other words, there are no rules. Sakurai puts in whatever he feels like ultimately.

Yeah Smash 4 in itself has broken so many unwritten rules about 3rd Parties it's crazy.

3rd Parties are only guests and thus can't return as veterans? Sonic returns
Only one per company? Ryu
Character must have a history with Nintendo? Cloud
Must be generally iconic to gaming as a whole? Bayonetta

Nintendo purists probably hate this alot, but we can't deny Smash has broken out of being 100% Nintendo focused. It will still be the majority. But Smash is now one of the few game series that can cross these sort of boundaries. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo for example did end up showing up despite being owned by Microsoft some day. The way things have gone with 3rd Party inclusions I don't think it's as unlikely as it used to be.

Guzma said:
Smasher Claus said:
-A third party or two seems like a strong possibility, but who it would be is pretty difficult to say. Jibanyan from Yo-Kai Watch is one of the most likely ones in my opinion, the series has become really big and Level 5 has pretty close ties with Nintendo. Rayman could definitely be a contender too. Simon (and Bomberman for that matter) might be possible depending on Konami again. I don't really want this personally, but maybe even an indie character like Shovel Knight or Shantae? Not really sure who else it could be.

This might sound a tad petty. But I'd only want Layton if we got Phoenix Wright too. Just so there's another crossover with those two together heh. But that's just me since I throughly enjoyed the crossover game between them.

Though I would never want Jibanyan myself. Nintendo has tried too hard to market it as another Pokemon. I'd accept a Jibanyan assist trophy. But not as a fighter.

If a new Pokémon rep comes out, I hope it's not Decidueye, that's such a lame choice to choose one of the starters again, it's like giving the Fire starter the Fighting type for 3 gens in a row.

I can't even think of a single 7th generation Pokemon that could fit the playable role. At best, Greninja could get the Ash-Greninja transformation for its new Final Smash.

MnSG said:
I can't even think of a single 7th generation Pokemon that could fit the playable role. At best, Greninja could get the Ash-Greninja transformation for its new Final Smash.

Mimikyu comes to my mind, but anyway I think Pokémon has enough reps.

MnSG said:
I haven't seen Pokemon in years, but I can't think of any possible difference between Ash's Greninja and a normal one that would necessitate a new Final Smash.

I couldn't imagine the Switch port having that much more stuff, if any. Keep in mind the Wii U sold very poorly, so Nintendo would probably want to focus on the people who didn't get one. Wii U owners who don't have the game can get one easily, and Wii U owners who have the game wouldn't have much incentive to buy yet another copy of the same game anyway. At the absolute best, I could see everything from both versions, DLC included, and maybe one additional character (who it is depends on whatever game Nintendo wants to advertise, possibly a Zelda character from Breath of the Wild).

Come to think of it, I don't remember them announcing a Smash 4 port for the Switch. Is this all just speculation or did I miss the announcement?

As far as I know, I have not heard of any Smash Bros. news for the Nintendo Switch. Until that day comes, you're pretty much stuck with the 3DS or Wii U for playing Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Cirdec said:
Mimikyu comes to my mind, but anyway I think Pokémon has enough reps.

Ash-Greninja would basically be like Mega Lucario in that it's a power boost. Ash-Greninja's attacks would deal more damage and knockback, and it becomes impervious to flinching, despite still being able to take damage.

I believe the Smash 4 port first got it's report when there was something that said Namco was making a Smash for Switch (Or well the NX at the time). Back then they didn't quite specify that it would be a port of Smash 4 but given it's just waaaaaay too soon for a Smash 5 and we now have a confirmed Mario Kart 8 port and possibly a Splatoon port. It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Smash 4 will also get a move to Switch. It'd make sure the strongest selling Wii U games will become strong launch titles and/or released within the first year for the Switch.

Northern Verve said:
I believe the Smash 4 port first got it's report when there was something that said Namco was making a Smash for Switch (Or well the NX at the time). Back then they didn't quite specify that it would be a port of Smash 4 but given it's just waaaaaay too soon for a Smash 5 and we now have a confirmed Mario Kart 8 port and possibly a Splatoon port. It isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Smash 4 will also get a move to Switch. It'd make sure the strongest selling Wii U games will become strong launch titles and/or released within the first year for the Switch.

Which is why I expect a good deal of new characters and content. Especially new characters. Daisy alone would be absolutely phenomenal.

qSr4iK0.png

This is my expected roster for the Switch version, assuming that there are no assist trophy promotion doohickeys. As you can see, I added Daisy, Captain Toad, Shantae, Incineroar, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Shovel Knight,and Impa. I think I have got a good balance between requested and feasible.

YhGK0d4.png

I still think it's a little early to be thinking there will be that many characters added to the switch version. That rumor of only two additional characters + plus some 3DS exclusive stuff moved/remade in HD for the Switch version sounds much more plausible. (Honestly, I would gladly take an HD Console version of Smash Run that is capable of four-player splitscreen. That alone would probably justify buying it for me even if there were no additional characters, because I LOVE Smash Run. I just wish it was as accessible as City Trial was in Kirby Air Ride, and that's what bringing it to the Switch could do.)

But I do admit that besides some big disagreements (Daisy, Pokemon Gen 7 getting two starters playable right off the bat, and the indies (As much as I wouldn't mind if Shantae ever got in)) that's a decent roster if the Switch version were to get at least 5 additional characters. I just still think that even just adding the 5 that I wouldn't mind in that roster (Captain Toad, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Impa) might be in itself a too optimistic approach.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
I think it would be a bit too soon to feature a Gen 7 Pokémon as a playable character, let alone two.

cough....corrin...cough

Northern Verve said:
I still think it's a little early to be thinking there will be that many characters added to the switch version. That rumor of only two additional characters + plus some 3DS exclusive stuff moved/remade in HD for the Switch version sounds much more plausible. (Honestly, I would gladly take an HD Console version of Smash Run that is capable of four-player splitscreen. That alone would probably justify buying it for me even if there were no additional characters, because I LOVE Smash Run. I just wish it was as accessible as City Trial was in Kirby Air Ride, and that's what bringing it to the Switch could do.)

But I do admit that besides some big disagreements (Daisy, Pokemon Gen 7 getting two starters playable right off the bat, and the indies (As much as I wouldn't mind if Shantae ever got in)) that's a decent roster if the Switch version were to get at least 5 additional characters. I just still think that even just adding the 5 that I wouldn't mind in that roster (Captain Toad, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Impa) might be in itself a too optimistic approach.

You have something against Daisy don't you?

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
I think it would be a bit too soon to feature a Gen 7 Pokémon as a playable character, let alone two.

there's no need at all for two Gen VIIs but considering that Greninja was like half a year old when it was revealed (not to mention the likes of Roy and Corrin) I don't think one would be unreasonable

memoryman3 said:
This is my expected roster for the Switch version, assuming that there are no assist trophy promotion doohickeys. As you can see, I added Daisy, Captain Toad, Shantae, Incineroar, Decidueye, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Shovel Knight,and Impa. I think I have got a good balance between requested and feasible.

not even going to comment on The Great Princess Debate
Captain Toad is possible
two third parties is not completely impossible but getting an indie is iffy and I definitely can't see getting both
one Gen VII is fine, two probably not. I see very little to no hope in Incineroar being playable
Ice Climbers and Wolf would be among the most likely to be considered unless the former are somehow infeasible again, which I doubt
I don't find Impa likely but she isn't impossible
could only see Inklings missing it if there were either little to no room for new characters or if they're not feasible (which I also doubt)
nine new characters in general seems overly optimistic to me

memoryman3 said:
You have something against Daisy don't you?

More so regarding her for Smash. In a more general sense, she's a character I'm very lukewarm to in any game she's in. She's not a character I particularly like, but I wouldn't say I hate Daisy altogether.

But in terms of Smash, Daisy isn't a significant enough part of the Mario franchise to warrant inclusion. She doesn't have the résumé of the other characters that represent the Mushroom symbol (For the exception of maybe Dr. Mario. But even then that's comparing Roster Filler with Roster Filler). While she wouldn't be the worst inclusion of the series if it were to happen (That "honor" goes to Dark Pit. I would gladly take Daisy over him if that were a choice) she's not the type of character I feel would be up to the standard of not just Smash Bros. merit in general but not even that high in being that big to her own franchise.

This high expectation regarding characters goes about the same way with characters that I personally wouldn't mind. Like Waluigi, I do admit that despite being in the same exact situation as Daisy is franchise-wise I do like Waluigi quite a bit more. But in terms of Smash he doesn't have much of a shot in similar ways to Daisy. Stuff like Waluigi being an assist trophy may give him a slight edge (Cause it is acknowledgement) in terms of future Smash games (Not for the port though, they're not going to just delete an assist trophy to make them playable when porting a game). But from a neutral perspective Waluigi and Daisy have the exact same obstacles in their way to Smash. And both would set a precedent in the future that the character doesn't have to be necessarily a big part of their franchise to be included. So likely one would help the other get in. I think it's generally plausible that if Daisy or Waluigi got in Smash. They'd end up as newcomers together. Cause one of those two getting in erases practically all obstacles to the other character. But still, Waluigi and Daisy would still be pretty close to bottom of the barrel choices for the Mario series at the moment, and would only get in if Nintendo were really desperate to include more Mario newcomers.

So either way, it would be seen as a desperate choice that not many other then personal fans of the characters would say was a needed addition. Even I admit that if Waluigi did get in Smash it'd be fun for a few hours to mess around with him yelling things like "WALUIGI TIME" or "WAAAAAAAHHHH" until the novelty kinda runs off and I'm asking if he really belongs amongst the Nintendo All-Stars. Especially if there's still some significant snubs in the roster in this hypothetical situation.

So, you are basically comparing Daisy to some no name NPC in a random Zelda game, just because she happens to be a majot character in games you don't like? Please. Daisy is actually the second most recurring female character ever in the history of videogames, and even though it might be due to Mario Parties, guess what? A lot of people played those said Mario Party or Kart or sports games primarily as someone like Daisy. I mean, Daisy's own character has been defined so much by these games, and in a way that is different to Peach and Waluigi or others, that I think she would fit in on well in a game like Smash which celebrates as much as video game history as it can. Let's face it, no one really plays games for a deep, complex story or to catch up with the plot. Why do you think Daisy has main series Mario merchanidse? Because, well she is basically a main Mario character at this point. Why shouldn't she be in Smash?

You could make an argument that we already reached the "bottom of the barrel" already, with obscure choices such as Lucas, Ike, Lucina etc. who didn't even have a fanbase until Smash. Why should a character like Daisy, who has an established fanbase, be considered bottom of the barrel?

who cares if she appears a lot, shes still been dumped in spin-offs which arent overly important whatsoever and any spin-off character will be dumped in assist trophies.

Spin-offs dont mean shit to nintendo at all and its about time you realized that.

also lucina had a rather decent following thanks to fe13, and mother 3 is more of a thing in japan anyway, looks like ignorance is your strong point.

Not to mention these are both main characters, unlike daisy.

Lady Rosalina said:
Spin-offs dont mean *bleep* to nintendo at all and its about time you realized that.
Well, they do matter much more than you think, but not in the way mmman thinks.

Lady Rosalina said:
who cares if she appears a lot, shes still been dumped in spin-offs which arent overly important whatsoever and any spin-off character will be dumped in assist trophies.

Spin-offs dont mean shit to nintendo at all and its about time you realized that.

also lucina had a rather decent following thanks to fe13, and mother 3 is more of a thing in japan anyway, looks like ignorance is your strong point.

Not to mention these are both main characters, unlike daisy.

You say this like Daisy doesn't have a following already. Mind if I show you one part of it?

http://we-are-daisy.wikia.com/wiki/We_Are_Daisy_Wikia

And if Daisy was not a main character, we would not see a Daisy amiibo period. As only major characters in a series or a game get amiibo. If you haven't noticed already, daisy and waluigi are part of the Super Mario line as a whole, which means that they will probably work in that new 3D Mario Switch game. Daisy herself got more trophies than any other non playable character in the game, and Nintendo have never really made a distinction between daisy and waluigi, and the rest of the cast, as spinoff characters on purpose. You know who they DO do that for? People like Fawful and Dimentio from the Mario RPG's, who never appear outside them at all. So please, stop spreading this toxic, false logic.

I really want Blathers and Celeste in Super Smash Bros btw

I want Poochy. He has a following and an amiibo.

Back