Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cloud Strife

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Corrin

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
I don't know why they went with Cloud but if they were going with a final fantasy character anyway at least it's one I know the name of.

Black Mage from FF1 would've been cool though. Honestly it just seems like they went with Cloud because he's recognisable. I know next to nothing about FF but I know who Cloud is. I know what the buster sword is.

Maybe he'll be fun to play as but I don't play sm4sh much anymore so I guess it's not important

you guys

it's fucking cloud

the legendary mascot of a non-nintendo franchise

the running gag of unlikely characters

he's in fucking smash

i don't care what anyone says i am 100% hype

Actually I really think Cloud's here as a general Final Fantasy rep. Even though he's barely been on Nintendo consoles outside of a few cameos, he's one of if not the most recognizable characters from the series whether we like it or not. A generic black mage wasn't good enough, and any other characters from the other Final Fantasy games that were on Nintendo consoles aren't well-known enough to make it over Cloud.

And if this was a choice from the ballot, this is 100% proof the Ballot was a Suggestion. Not a popularity contest, Sakurai may have seen votes for Cloud amongst all the others. Even if it wasn't the majority, he saw potential and may have even been aware that he was a somewhat popular name tossed out from possibly years and years before. Cloud is an icon of gaming and fits well with Sakurai's criteria for 3rd Parties being legendary. I feel Cloud is now Smash 4's own Snake. There will always be people who won't understand why he's in the game due to the general conception that this is a Nintendo centered game, but his surprise announcement and inclusion could endear him to fans nonetheless.

Heck, just like Snake. Smash Bros. can boast they got Cloud in Smash when Playstation All-Stars didn't.

Northern Verve said:
Heck, just like Snake. Smash Bros. can boast they got Cloud in Smash when Playstation All-Stars didn't.
I think Snake abandoned ship before All-Stars was even a thing, which is why Raiden from the MGS series was included in Snake's place.

BTW before anyone asks if I'm gonna reset the poll with Cloud's reveal. I'm gonna wait til' the December Smash Direct happens for when we inevitably get more characters revealed.

Time Turner said:
you guys

it's fucking cloud

the legendary mascot of a non-nintendo franchise

the running gag of unlikely characters

he's in fucking smash

i don't care what anyone says i am 100% hype

literally this

He's American Shulk with Ike's moveset.

I like how no one's immediate reaction is, "NOT ANOTHER SWORD USER D:"

roster speculation is dead
long live roster speculation

Dr. Mario said:

people are either like "why cloud why not [insert another character suggestion here]???? fuck u nintendo"

they have no strong opinion (or a valid one nah thats too unlikely) or

theyre like me and fanboying the fuck out of this

GBAToad said:
roster speculation is dead
long live roster speculation
Ya think? I think it died long before that.

freakworld said:
Dr. Mario said:

people are either like "why cloud why not [insert another character suggestion here]???? *bleep* u nintendo"

they have no strong opinion (or a valid one nah thats too unlikely) or

theyre like me and fanboying the *bleep* out of this
That's pretty much anyone's given reaction: love, neutral, hate.

Watching Cloud's Trailer again, I just realised how beautiful his down smash is.

Also on the assumption that the Limit thing just makes his specials significantly stronger when activated but wears off immediately after a single use of one, he generally looks like a more consistently scary Little Mac with a sword.

I think I found a new secondary.

If we get any more 3rd Parties after Cloud (Which I currently think we won't though) I think these are possible candidates. Includes 2nd rep possibilities for each already represented company except for Capcom (Cause they already have Megaman AND Ryu) as well as a few currently non-represented.

Namco - Heihachi (There was something with Sakurai that said he was considered at one point for Smash 4. Meaning it's quite possible he's next in line should Namco get the nod for another rep. He has at least a Mii Costume though)

Sega - Tails (Let's face it, Sega does have many good franchises but none of them are as universally well-known as Sonic is. A 2nd Sonic rep is the most likely possibility should they give Sega anything more. And I feel Tails would be the most likely choice being the Sonic franchise's Luigi, I think Tails definitely counts as an Icon of gaming at least in terms of sidekicks)

Rare - Banjo & Kazooie (After Cloud of all characters getting in, suddenly Banjo may not be as farfetch'd as once thought. Imagine having at least one mainly Sony character. And one that is now owned by Microsoft also in Smash. Smash would prove to be so big, that it's beyond console wars)

Ubisoft - Rayman (Already represented with a few trophies in Smash 4. Why not bring him in?)

Square - Lara Croft (Square currently owns her, and there are actually a few Tomb Raider games on Nintendo systems. Though she certainly doesn't have the cushion of Cloud having the Final Fantasy franchise to represent. Lara's probably the biggest female icon in gaming aside from Peach and Zelda)

Konami - Solid Snake (As much as Bomberman or Simon Belmont would be nice. Snake has veteran status on his side)

Again, I think Cloud may be our final 3rd Party for Smash 4. But I'd consider these strong possibilities in Smash 5 at the very least if they continue the path of including iconic 3rd Parties.

Back