SSB, SSBM, or SSBB?

What was your favorite game in the series?

• SSB

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Melee

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Brawl

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
La Marionette said:
Castle Siege is generic in generic. I've never played Fire Emblem, but I've seen complaints on how this is simply a generic castle stage with "Fire Emblem" slapped on it. There's nothing Fire Emblem about this stage, nor do we really have a siege. We need more of an attack, but not to the sacrifice the fun on this stage. Castle Siege needs stage hazards (not cheap ones) just to show more action. Fire Emblem is barely represented in this stage, and tat's a bad thing. Maybe we can have people on flying horses and Fire Emblem enemies wandering around?

I just want to throw in that Fire Emblem does in fact get recognition in the second part of this stage. If you look closely in the background on the second floor (I guess that's what you would call it), you can see The Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn in front of the throne. It's just a cameo, not a level hazard or anything, but there is at least SOMETHING Fire Emblem related in the stage.

Dean Winchester said:
La Marionette said:
Castle Siege is generic in generic. I've never played Fire Emblem, but I've seen complaints on how this is simply a generic castle stage with "Fire Emblem" slapped on it. There's nothing Fire Emblem about this stage, nor do we really have a siege. We need more of an attack, but not to the sacrifice the fun on this stage. Castle Siege needs stage hazards (not cheap ones) just to show more action. Fire Emblem is barely represented in this stage, and tat's a bad thing. Maybe we can have people on flying horses and Fire Emblem enemies wandering around?

I just want to throw in that Fire Emblem does in fact get recognition in the second part of this stage. If you look closely in the background on the second floor (I guess that's what you would call it), you can see The Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn in front of the throne. It's just a cameo, not a level hazard or anything, but there is at least SOMETHING Fire Emblem related in the stage.

That's true. Still, other than that, Castle Siege doesn't feel like a Fire Emblem stage. It's mostly a generic castle with a Fire Emblem cameo that you have to look to see it. Why can't we get more Fire Emblem overall in the stage?

Dean Winchester said:
There seems to be more possible references than what I thought. I do agree, though, that the level feels more like just a castle stage with the Fire Emblem name tacked on... I don't mind the references, but I'd like to actually see something taken from one of the games (and if they were going to go for a transitioning level like Castle Siege, then why, oh why, did they not go for the Tower of Guidance from Radiant Dawn?)

And why did they slap this random underground part? Is it even Fire Emblem-related or what?

I think it just follows the trend of lava-type stages in Fire Emblem games (which I think the article stated iirc), but it just seemed like a really bad inclusion in my opinion... I know it's the natural setting of deep underground but come on... that was the best you could think of?

Northern Verve said:
La Marionette said:
Blah

asdf

That is the biggest wall text I've probably seen in a long time.

I dunno BLOF and LGM, it seems that you guys are being way too picky about your games. I'm not saying that you should change what your favorite game is, but I know that Brawl wasn't just completely flawed. Seriously, it had a lot more balance in series and brought many Nintendo characters that we haven't seen in a long time. Plus, Melee had some of the most random characters that felt out of place, and had many clones of other characters that thankfully was removed in Brawl because they just were almost fan game characters that the vast majority of players would not want over some characters they added that they did in Brawl, like Kid Icarus and Meta Knight.

cryoAwakening said:
I dunno BLOF and LGM, it seems that you guys are being way too picky about your games. I'm not saying that you should change what your favorite game is, but I know that Brawl wasn't just completely flawed. Seriously, it had a lot more balance in series and brought many Nintendo characters that we haven't seen in a long time. Plus, Melee had some of the most random characters that felt out of place, and had many clones of other characters that thankfully was removed in Brawl because they just were almost fan game characters that the vast majority of players would not want over some characters they added that they did in Brawl, like Kid Icarus and Meta Knight.

1. I actually think Brawl is the LEAST balanced game in the series. It's the first game where the top-tier character (Meta Knight) has his own tier and the first character banned from tournaments. And at the other end, you also get a really crappy character (Ganondorf) who also has a tier of his own to showcase how bad he actually is. Don't forget the blatant stale-moves negation; it actually allows for MORE combos. If anything, Super Smash Bros. is the most balanced game in the series.

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee did NOT have mostly random characters. It introduced Zelda, Shiek, Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Falco, Mewtwo, and Marth, who were anything but random. Sure, Melee does have some of its own share of random characters (Pichu, Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch) but so does every Super Smash Bros. game in the series so that the roster isn't predictable and boring. In fact, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had more random characters, what with Snake, Sonic, R.O.B., and maybe some others I forgot about. Super Smash Bros. Brawl also introduced some new clones, namely Wolf and Toon Link, while some other characters with moveslots that could be changed (ESPECIALLY Ganondorf's) aren't changed.

Also, I see no point of removing characters anyway. The developers can just change the moveset to not make them clones anymore, or use other creative ideas to not make them clones instead of simply removing them.

Baby Luigi said:
Sure, Melee does have some of its own share of random characters (Pichu, Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch)
HOW DARE YOU CALL ME RANDOM

But yeah, I agree, Brawl is really unbalanced. I also hate the fact that it's practically impossible to SD in Brawl, so if you do by accident, it unfairly goes to a random player.

Hey, being random isn't bad at all. As I said in my post, random characters keep the game interesting and unpredictable

cryoAwakening said:

Brawl is NOT the most balanced game in the series. Sure, it might feel like it, but there's more to it.

First, I have mentioned earlier that Brawl has given many characters needed buffs (Kirby, Ness, Zelda, for instance) while toning down others. BUT, Brawl has given many, many other characters unneeded nerfs. Ganondorf is too blazing fast! Let's make him slower! Samus's attacks have WAY too much knockback! Let's give it less knockback! Link is way too good in Melee, so let's remove L-canceling and make his B^ weaker! Mario is too good in Melee; let's make his attacks weaker and tougher to connect, PLUS he gets a useless Bv move! The good characters and awful characters in Brawl is horribly skewed compared to the previous games. Brawl is the first time a character is banned, as what Baby Luigi said.

There's a reason hackers decided to revamp Brawl's gamplay core and balance characters via ProjectM Brawl+, Brawl-, and BBrawl. Well, in BBrawl, they're tweaking characters, but they're still buffing most characters while slightly nerfing a few.

Mr. Game & Watch said:
@Baby Luigi and La Marionette; If you guys know this much about Melee and Brawl, why not join SmashWiki? It's even allied with MarioWiki.

Well, I do have an inactive account by "Green Mario"...

Mr. Game & Watch said:
@Baby Luigi and La Marionette; If you guys know this much about Melee and Brawl, why not join SmashWiki? It's even allied with MarioWiki.

That's where I got all my info at...

Baby Luigi said:
In fact, Super Smash Bros. Brawl had more random characters, what with Snake, Sonic, R.O.B., and maybe some others I forgot about.

Uh maybe Snake and ROB were a bit random. Albeit ROB isn't any different from Game and Watch in Melee and Ness in SSB64, and Snake only got in because Kojima was buddies with Sakurai. But Sonic got in because he was the practically the most requested character to be in the game period. Because Sakurai likely noticed what the backlash would have been had he not pursued getting Sonic in the game because he wasn't originally intended. But thanks to the many, many, MANY requests for Sonic to get into Brawl. Sakurai managed to find development time (Which could have been part of the reason the game was delayed twice by a few months) to get Sonic in the game because Sonic was kind of a late Addition.

But in any sense that is for sure not random if so many people wanted him in the game.

Hello, it's a Nintendo game with Nintendo characters fighting for. That's why the Super Smash Bros. series was created in the first place: so you can beat up Pikachu using Link.

I'm not saying 3rd party characters in any way are bad, they're random for a Nintendo crossover.

Baby Luigi said:
Hello, it's a Nintendo game with Nintendo characters fighting for. That's why the Super Smash Bros. series was created in the first place: so you can beat up Pikachu using Link.

I'm not saying 3rd party characters in any way are bad, they're random for a Nintendo crossover.

I never really liked the third party because I felt like it they were just out of place in the game.

It still bothers me to this day where they basically made Sonic look like the most powerful player at the end of Subspace Emissary because he destroyed Tabuu's wings before he could do that wing attack again. I know it was last minute and there really wasn't anywhere else to put him, but I just felt like it made Sonic look like an...egotistic d***.

I don't mind the third party, as long as they mix-match them up in later installments. Like, replace Snake this time with another character so that we don't slowly lose space for really good potential Nintendo characters because the fans are asking for more and more outside players. Everything in moderation, and as Baby Luigi said, SSB is a Nintendo-focused game to bring all the Nintendo characters together.

cryoAwakening said:
Baby Luigi said:

I never really liked the third party because I felt like it they were just out of place in the game.

It still bothers me to this day where they basically made Sonic look like the most powerful player at the end of Subspace Emissary because he destroyed Tabuu's wings before he could do that wing attack again. I know it was last minute and there really wasn't anywhere else to put him, but I just felt like it made Sonic look like an...egotistic d***.

I don't mind the third party, as long as they mix-match them up in later installments. Like, replace Snake this time with another character so that we don't slowly lose space for really good potential Nintendo characters because the fans are asking for more and more outside players. Everything in moderation, and as Baby Luigi said, SSB is a Nintendo-focused game to bring all the Nintendo characters together.

YMMV but I found that awesome. But I'm a huge Sonic fan anyway... so i'm kinda biased.

But who says putting in 3rd parties replace potential new Nintendo characters? Snake and Sonic by no means got in the way of any Nintendo characters. Kojima didn't go to Sakurai and say "Hey how about instead of putting in *insert Nintendo character* you put in Snake because we're buddies ok?" or Sakurai wasn't like "There's a huge, huge, HUGE demand for Sonic to be in this game. I better remove this character to make room for Sonic!"

The old one holds a special place in my heart, I played it the most and it is also the only one I played with very high skill leveled players

I agree with what Baby Luigi said. It's called Super Smash BROTHERS for a reason. Only Nintendo characters should be allowed. I don't want any more 3rd party characters. I was pretty mad when Snake and Sonic got in, but what gives. They're already in. I have nothing against the characters; I think they're both awesome, but I just don't think they should be in Super Smash Bros.

I loved Melee's character selection and stages, but the vast amount of content in Brawl wins out.

If I new how to apply texture hacks in Brawl I'd try it, but I'm just no good. :(

Oh and also the original was pretty awful in my experience.x

Brawl is a good game because of the new stages and characters.
I haven't played it.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
Oh and also the original was pretty awful in my experience.x
is not as flashy or as complex as the other two but it still holds it's ground as a good fighting game imo

I read Super Smash Bros. was a relatively low-budget game 0_o

I still think it was totally rad for its age. It's the reason I got into video games...

Mr. Game & Watch said:
Wow, a rather simple question turned into a huge debate...

...I'm lost for words.

Nah, it's just a debate about opinions on games, nothing too unusual

Back