Equestria Girls (MLP spin-off)

Watched it:

far from impressive, far from bad and it really bugged me the whole time in a passive level. In other words? it was ok

For fun, I watched it again with Jorge who haven't seen it yet. This log was the result... (Warning: If you haven't seen the movie yet, Major spoilers unbound)

And for fun, we also had a post-"review" of it hours later.

11:53:34 PM EDT Northern Verve Today's And remember is going to be interesting isn't it xD
11:53:51 PM EDT monicker oh boy i have much to rant about
11:54:19 PM EDT Northern Verve Heck if you want you could do it now just in case my brother decides to disconnect the internet while we're talking xP
11:54:35 PM EDT monicker oh boy. well.
11:54:47 PM EDT monicker in the case that you spontaneously explode and turn into a demon....
11:54:53 PM EDT Northern Verve lol
11:54:58 PM EDT monicker remember that everything can be cured by friendship!
11:55:07 PM EDT monicker blow up half the school and manipulate all students for five years straight
11:55:16 PM EDT monicker all while turning into satan and trying to murder everyone?
11:55:20 PM EDT monicker yeah, yeah, friendship!
11:55:29 PM EDT Northern Verve xD
11:55:41 PM EDT monicker remember that for pinkie pie human and pinkie pie pony are telepathically connected because FUCK LOGIC.
11:55:54 PM EDT monicker always and always remember that its ok to bring animals to school
11:55:54 PM EDT Northern Verve Pinkie doesn't know what logic is
11:55:58 PM EDT Northern Verve lul
11:55:59 PM EDT monicker if theyre shoverd into a fucking backpack.
11:56:05 PM EDT Northern Verve xD
11:56:09 PM EDT monicker yes, shove your rabbit and a bird in a bag for 8 hours everyday
11:56:12 PM EDT monicker why the fuck not?
11:56:26 PM EDT monicker remember that the best way to win a guy over is to spill milkshakes on him.
11:56:28 PM EDT Northern Verve Don't forget the cat xP
11:56:34 PM EDT monicker doesnt matter that youve only said "Hi!" to him once
11:56:38 PM EDT monicker youre PERFECT for each other
11:56:45 PM EDT Northern Verve Well they do say Milkshakes bring the boys to the yard...
11:56:47 PM EDT Northern Verve lol
11:56:51 PM EDT monicker shut up fergie!
11:56:55 PM EDT Northern Verve xD
11:57:06 PM EDT monicker dont you even dare forget that if you need a place to sleep, make a fucking bed out of books in your school library
11:57:31 PM EDT monicker hey. do you need popularity at school? break out into a song. but no, this isnt some high school musical shit. dress up as a furry first!
11:57:44 PM EDT Northern Verve xDDD
11:58:03 PM EDT monicker welcome to equestria high, where principal celestia cannot tell the difference between a photoshop and a photograph because she is not an expert and she cant tell from the pixels
11:58:12 PM EDT Northern Verve Actually that was Luna
11:58:18 PM EDT monicker regardless!
11:58:31 PM EDT monicker hey, you know that statue right outside your school?
11:58:33 PM EDT monicker DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT
11:58:38 PM EDT monicker youll turn into a technicolor pony
11:58:47 PM EDT monicker true story, happened to my friend, i miss him everday
11:58:53 PM EDT Northern Verve Or do if that's your dream
11:58:58 PM EDT monicker hahaha
11:59:25 PM EDT Northern Verve Don't lie bronies probably wish their school statue was a portal to Equestria
11:59:34 PM EDT monicker now they do....
11:59:37 PM EDT monicker thanks, hasbro
11:59:50 PM EDT monicker dont ever forget that if you want to be popular at a school dance, get on all fours and kick like a horse
11:59:55 PM EDT monicker that gets you laid really fast
11:59:57 PM EDT monicker trust me im a doctor
12:00:23 AM EDT monicker dont ever forget that....the GREAT AND MAGICAL TRIXIE...is going to buy candy.
12:00:28 AM EDT Northern Verve Also we all lose the game because Rainbow's awesome
12:00:34 AM EDT monicker hahahah oh yeah
12:00:36 AM EDT monicker ridiculous line #1
12:00:44 AM EDT monicker also dont forget
12:00:50 AM EDT monicker sleeping with a boner is really uncomfortable
12:00:54 AM EDT Northern Verve And Trixie wanted Peanut Butter crackers
12:00:55 AM EDT monicker a wing boner , that is.
12:00:58 AM EDT Northern Verve not Candy
12:01:08 AM EDT monicker do i look like a know it all!?!?!
12:01:12 AM EDT Northern Verve xD
12:01:30 AM EDT Northern Verve well there's a reason Twilight's my favorite...
12:01:45 AM EDT monicker because hse is so kawaii desu~?
12:02:10 AM EDT Northern Verve That's one of them yes x3
12:02:16 AM EDT monicker dont forget
12:02:25 AM EDT monicker my little sailor moon: satan is kawaii
12:02:28 AM EDT monicker is the best show on TV
12:02:30 AM EDT Northern Verve xD
12:02:43 AM EDT Northern Verve It doesn't even show on TV until November
12:04:06 AM EDT Northern Verve Oh and if you tell your friends you're a pony princess from another world. They'll believe you
12:04:27 AM EDT monicker all you have to do to convince them is pull out your purple dog
12:04:33 AM EDT monicker and have him talk
12:04:34 AM EDT monicker ofc
12:04:54 AM EDT monicker also remember, it doesnt matter that fluttershy has never owned a dog
12:05:00 AM EDT monicker she has dog food around with her 24/7
12:05:17 AM EDT Northern Verve I think the Animals in her backpack trumped that
12:05:23 AM EDT monicker haha ofc
12:08:15 AM EDT Northern Verve Oh but we gotta mention some good parts though. Twilight having trouble sleeping with her wings
12:08:28 AM EDT monicker that was aight
12:08:35 AM EDT monicker there were good pony human parts too
12:08:41 AM EDT monicker i genuinely thought the movie was adorable
12:09:01 AM EDT Northern Verve But once again the ending kinda ruined all that xP
12:09:05 AM EDT Northern Verve *?
12:09:19 AM EDT monicker yeah pretty much
12:09:28 AM EDT monicker plot was too meh
12:10:03 AM EDT Northern Verve I think the movie can be a guilty pleasure for fans of the show but probably not a good film if you've never watched the show
12:10:23 AM EDT monicker im dissapointed by how much substance it lacked
12:10:41 AM EDT Northern Verve It could of been much worse though xP
12:10:57 AM EDT Northern Verve (I just realized this turned into like a post-review of the movie xD)
12:11:48 AM EDT Northern Verve I guess while we're on the subject though once again I'd like to mention how despite how I didn't like Spike was a dog. He was still awesome in this movie.
12:13:05 AM EDT Northern Verve Oh and on Flash Sentry some people said he should of been Shining Armor and his relation to Twilight should of been purely from that Big brother standpoint. (Not romantically, I'm not condoning incest xD)
12:13:55 AM EDT Northern Verve Actually where was Shining Armor in the movie? Cadence appeared but he didn't
12:15:59 AM EDT monicker i dont think so, strange
12:16:09 AM EDT monicker when I first saw the trailer I thought flash was Shining Armour
12:16:15 AM EDT monicker then I realized, no hes a love interest WTF!?
12:17:39 AM EDT Northern Verve It should of been Shining though. Instead of having a love interest, Twilight would just run into him and say "Human BBBFF! :D"
12:17:53 AM EDT monicker that couldve worked
12:17:58 AM EDT monicker but then shining wouldve been like
12:18:01 AM EDT monicker TWILEEEY!
12:18:29 AM EDT Northern Verve And it would of even been funny with Human Shining "Wait I thought you didn't go to this school..." because of that other Twilight
12:18:57 AM EDT Northern Verve Twilight like "._. welll...."
12:19:12 AM EDT monicker lmao
12:19:50 AM EDT Northern Verve Also human Flash never found out the Twilight he met's actually a Pony.
12:19:54 AM EDT Northern Verve lol
12:21:07 AM EDT Northern Verve It might of been funny to at least see him go like "o_o" walking out and going home to rethink his life to this point
12:21:08 AM EDT Northern Verve lol
12:21:18 AM EDT monicker HAHAHAHAHA
12:21:22 AM EDT monicker didnt think of that
12:21:23 AM EDT monicker wow

I got caught on it and I was just going to skim through it, but then saw the entire thing.

I thought it was good. It definitely wasn't something that they should do again, but I think it was a lot better than what everyone was thinking. I do like that they brought in elements from the show and some nostalgic moments, and it really wasn't that bad. There were some parts that were just completely pointless, but other than that, it was good.

Vocal Beat said:
Northern Verve said:
Cadence
When did she appear? I don't remember seeing her.

Cadence only appeared in the beginning before Twilight went into the portal. There was no human Cadence in the movie yeah but the Pony Cadence did make an appearance.

Ok, in the crown passing scene, when Snails accidentally got the crown after Applejack lassoed Fluttershy, you see Rainbow Dash. But then after Pinkie Pie pops out of nowhere to get the crown and pass it, Rainbow Dash isn't there anymore and Fluttershy was untied. How does that work?! xD

Also, I kind of wish there was a moment featuring Rarity in that scene aside from her passing it to Twilight that one time lol

Villager said:
Sunset Shimmer can read Twilight Sparkle's handwriting lol

Oh, I just thought she realised the only person who would write like that is someone who's never written with hands before.

well, i finally got around to watching this

im really gonna lol if guitar dude's ponyworld clone becomes twilights new love interest

I took a shine to Flash Sentry, eh asks out twilight and doesn't afraid of anything

it would be nice to see him in the next season, but the producers didn't consider the movie canon, and therefore don't consider him canon.

Though I don't see why they couldn't introduce him in this upcoming season somehow.

Terriermon said:
Northern Verve said:
Matt Foley said:
So how far did Flash and Twilight go?

In the human world, it goes as far as Flash asking Twilight to the Prom/Dance/Etc. which caught Twilight in a awkward position to the point Flash thinks Twilight said No. Before the actual Dance though, Flash asks if they can have a dance at least sometime. This was only after Twilight had bumped into him a few times and after Flash helped show Vice Principal Luna that the photos showing Twilight wrecking the gym were doctored. Which while it helped Twilight alot, is really no reason for Twilight to seem to fall in love with him as it seems to go. In Equestria, she bumps into him once in the beginning and another time after she comes back. The time she comes back she blushes and then the Main 6 start teasing that she has a crush on him, which Twilight tries to deny.

It's definitely something I don't like. But given it's not going to go anywhere in the future (AKA the tweet saying that Flash won't be a character in Season 4) it's harmless. And only meant to really fill the male love interest part of a usual School-related flick.
Not a big fan of romance?
He's not a big fan of his waifu being with another man
jk jk

So guess what, I finally saw Equestria Girls today while over at a fellow Brony's apartment.

It was... eh.

I definitely don't see anything to get crazy about, or why Bronies would "love" it the same way they love the show. Then again, maybe I've just officially grown out of my pony phase... And yet I obsess over this move. I can't stop thinking about it, even though I don't particularly care for it. Just for the record, it wasn't bad. It just wasn't, you know, all that good... Felt a little shallow, and very "deus ex machina" in places. Even though there was exposition to explain stuff and whatnot, a lot of stuff felt contrived to make the story what it was. Sunset Shimmer, I also did not like at all. By the end of the movie,
she's like "all I want is friends" even though she spent who-knows-how-long being a bitch to everyone and just EXPECTING to get what she wants. No doubt someone will come to me explaining that she doesn't understand friendship, or that she's actually a tragic figure, but it just doesn't come off that way at all. Further proof, for me anyway, that Meghan McCarthy isn't that good of a writer.
So while I'm kind of freaking out over how I just can't get this movie out of my mind, it doesn't feel like the kind of movie I'd watch again for enjoyment.

Incidentally, my younger sister, who thought my watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was questionable enough as it is, thought I crossed a line here by saying I watched this. Hell, even my mom, who was tolerant of this and even seemed to know the characters by now, thought this looked terrible when shown pictures of it (both promotional, which just plain suck, to screenshots from the movie, which didn't really help either way). Even though I said it's not as bad as it look, I didn't really defend it all that much and made it clear that while I saw it, I didn't really like it.

Smashgoom202 said:
So guess what, I finally saw Equestria Girls today while over at a fellow Brony's apartment.

It was... eh.

I definitely don't see anything to get crazy about, or why Bronies would "love" it the same way they love the show. Then again, maybe I've just officially grown out of my pony phase... And yet I obsess over this move. I can't stop thinking about it, even though I don't particularly care for it. Just for the record, it wasn't bad. It just wasn't, you know, all that good... Felt a little shallow, and very "deus ex machina" in places. Even though there was exposition to explain stuff and whatnot, a lot of stuff felt contrived to make the story what it was. Sunset Shimmer, I also did not like at all. By the end of the movie,
she's like "all I want is friends" even though she spent who-knows-how-long being a bitch to everyone and just EXPECTING to get what she wants. No doubt someone will come to me explaining that she doesn't understand friendship, or that she's actually a tragic figure, but it just doesn't come off that way at all. Further proof, for me anyway, that Meghan McCarthy isn't that good of a writer.
So while I'm kind of freaking out over how I just can't get this movie out of my mind, it doesn't feel like the kind of movie I'd watch again for enjoyment.

Incidentally, my younger sister, who thought my watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was questionable enough as it is, thought I crossed a line here by saying I watched this. Hell, even my mom, who was tolerant of this and even seemed to know the characters by now, thought this looked terrible when shown pictures of it (both promotional, which just plain suck, to screenshots from the movie, which didn't really help either way). Even though I said it's not as bad as it look, I didn't really defend it all that much and made it clear that while I saw it, I didn't really like it.

I still like Meghan McCarthy's work (Wrote popular Season 1 episodes like Dragonshy, Party of One, Green isn't your Color. Wrote pretty much most of my favorites in Season 2 with Lesson Zero, Sweet and Elite, Hearts and Hooves Day and Canterlot Wedding. Although I don't consider Crystal Empire one of her best, some parts of Part 2 in particular I really appreciated. But I'm overall happy she was chosen as story editor) but yeah I had to admit she didn't do that good of a job with Equestria Girls.

Though I suppose she did turn probably a pretty bad concept into an "ok" movie is worth mentioning. Granted there's still leaps of logic in it. I think the best written part though was before Sunset showed up. It felt like a believable beginning to Season 4 up until Sunset showed up what with Twilight already expressing her worries after becoming a Princess. It even had the funniest part of the movie to me, the part where Twilight's trying to sleep with her wings. So yeah unfortunately for the movie itself the best part of the movie already happened within the first 10 minutes for me :S

Meghan did have alot to work with, probably to the level of too much. She's been writing ponies all this time, suddenly she has to shoehorn some strange mirror to a humanized alternate universe into Equestria. I believe it went like Hasbro approached her for a humanized pony movie. And the plot of Equestria Girls was the result. All things considered, it could have been alot worse.

I thought M.A. Larson wrote Dragonshy...

I also have to admit that was probably my favorite part... Imagine that, the best parts of the movie were that parts that didn't have to do with the human high school! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though it still feels weird, the fact that Twilight's not a princess and an alicorn. Both the writers, AND the movie go so far to say that she's still the same pony, but just like having a friend who's been promoted or elected into a position of power, it does feel weird to be friends with them still, even IF they're the same person. Or in this case, pony.

...BTW, did you hear that during one of the panels at Brony Con (I think it was either the writers panel or one of the voice actors panels) that HAsbro came up with the idea for Equestria Girls because they saw humanized pony fanart? I don't know how credible this is, but it just feel so awkward to think of Hasbro pushing this really questionable idea/move one something that, honestly, I feel was kind of a niche part of the fandom. I NEVER cared for the humanized pony fanart, at all, and while the humans in this movie looked... okay (the animation was still good, but I'm so conflicted on how they look in general), I still don't really approve of the whole thing... Not to mention, if Brony Con proves anything, it's that apparently the fandom embraced the movie just like they did the TV show.

...Which, I feel like I have a lot to say in retrospect for this fandom and why I think such a huge following comes from an otherwise slightly above-average show is kind of baffling. But I don't really want to get too much into that here.

Yeah I was never a fan of the designs they chose for the humans in this. It probably would of been better if it was more like this fan art of Humanized ponies that still look like they fit in the show's style.

But yeah I did hear that part of the reason it was made is that Hasbro discovered alot of humanized artwork for the Ponies. I do think it was also done by Hasbro because they think it would help them compete with Monster High or perhaps even longer brands like Barbie. Which unfortunately I think because of the quality of the toys probably aren't going to do too well.

Northern Verve said:
Yeah I was never a fan of the designs they chose for the humans in this. It probably would of been better if it was more like this fan art of Humanized ponies that still look like they fit in the show's style.

But yeah I did hear that part of the reason it was made is that Hasbro discovered alot of humanized artwork for the Ponies. I do think it was also done by Hasbro because they think it would help them compete with Monster High or perhaps even longer brands like Barbie. Which unfortunately I think because of the quality of the toys probably aren't going to do too well.
thing about the human designs, in general, is that they're too thin and wirey. It's just a little disturbing... And those large boots, what's up with that?! Also, on an individual basis, I hate how Fluttershy apparently has eye-shadow or whatever as a human. It made sense for Rarity, both as a human and pony, since she's all about looks and fashion, but what on Fluttershy? Not to mention, the outfits chosen for the characters are also questionable.

However, if there's one thing that I 100% approve of, it's keeping their skin color to that of their pony colors. After all, if they weren't, we'd get into the murky realm of racism, and questioning why all or some of the main case is Caucasian and not another color, or how would you define ponies by their race and stuff.

You know, it'd be one thing if Equestria Girls was fantastic and brilliant, thereby negating all the weird stuff, promotional and merchandise, surrounding it... But the fact that it's just okay makes everything around it feel so much worse... Especially this:

1375986422928.png

Gomamon said:
Smashgoom202 said:

man... i never noticed twilight's eyes before...

wait, was there a human derpy hooves in this movie? ... and was her surname "feet"?
She was in the movie briefly, one time during a musical number, and again during the credits. Her name was never mentioned... Hell, I don't think her name other than Derpy was ever mentioned. I thought her last name being "hooves" was kind of lame, anyway.

Smashgoom202 said:
Further proof, for me anyway, that Meghan McCarthy isn't that good of a writer.
what have i been telling you since season 3 began

what have i been telling you

85 said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Further proof, for me anyway, that Meghan McCarthy isn't that good of a writer.
what have i been telling you since season 3 began

what have i been telling you

You based your thoughts mainly on Canterlot Wedding. Meghan still did plenty of good and popular episodes (Dragonshy, Party of One, Lesson Zero, and Sweet and Elite) even if there was one in particular you didn't like from her.

first of all, you said dragonshy, point still stands

but my complaint wasn't really how she by herself isn't a good writer. personally, i think she's perfectly fine. my problem is that they made her essentially the #1 since about halfway through s2, when her strength is fleshing out the mid-season.

maybe my real complaint is with thiessen, idk.

I just saw this review, and I just HAD to share it, because I really enjoyed it. Now, I don't really care for Equestria Girls, and emotions run really high for me. Not because I don't like it (which I don't, frankly), but because of how I've argued with people, and because of the way it makes me feel whenever I'm reminded of it, to the point where I just wish it was never made. I acknowledge it's existence now, but I try to stay out of discussions about it to avoid starting up anything with people who did enjoy it... Because there are things to enjoy about the movie, I just can't get over the things I don't enjoy. So why am I making a topic specifically for this one review of the movie?

Well, because it's BronyCurious mimicking the style of Mr. Plinkett:

...Now, for those of you unfamiliar with Harry S. Plinkett, he's basically a (fictional) old (REALLY old) man known for these insanely long and in-depth reviews of movies, most notably the Star Wars prequel movies. In fact, BronyCurious is specifically aping Pinkett's review of The Phantom Menace. Just so you guys know what I'm getting at, I'm posting the full multi-part review in the spoilers:

Now, what's weird is that I generally don't like it when people blatantly ape the style of someone else. I still attest that BronyCruious and DigiBrony's review of Flight to the Finish, where they ape the style of Egoraptor's Sequelitis videos, is almost unwatchable because they try to be as obnoxious as Egoraptor was in his videos for no reason (it's okay when Egoraptor does it, it's not okay when the usually mild-mannered DigiBrony and BronyCurious does it). So why am I okay with this? Well, there are several reasons.

For one, the "Plinkett" voice is inherently funny, whether it's making legit criticisms, or saying weird-ass stuff. For another, Plinkett's reviews are more then just blatantly bashing a movie and nitpicking it to death. Hell, the original Phantom Menace review has a LOT of educational value to it, because it's pretty much a semester of film school packed into an almost hour-long review; the best thing about the review, aside from the humor, is that it shows WHY, on a fundamental film-making level, The Phantom Menace doesn't work, in addition to getting into nitpicky stuff and geeky Star Wars knowledge. The review is basically a framing device to get across what goes into a story and why we have the typical story-telling conventions we have. ...It's just a shame a lot of people miss that and most just use it as speed-dial self-justification for seething rage-oholic Star Wars fanboys, but that's another topic.

The last reason why I like this is mostly a personal one, so I don't know if anyone feels that kind of connection, but it's why I think the Plinkett style works so well. Because Harry S. Plinkett is a fiction character, and we never actually see what he really looks like (other then his hands on occasion, and in the shadows), he's pretty much allowed to say and do terrible things, in addition to going off on movies like this. Because of that, despite having legitimate criticisms about the movie, whenever he goes off on something that isn't a "true" criticism, or something you don't really agree with, you can easily dismiss it as just him being Plinkett and in his own warped reality. For some reason, I find it easier to dismiss arguments some of Plinkett's arguments then I do, say, the Nostalgia Critic's arguments, despite the Nostalgia Critic being a character, too. I think that's because, while the NC is mostly a character, it's still Doug Walker giving his thoughts on a movie, and it gets REALLY hard to tell what are his actual thoughts, or what's him being a character... With Mr. Plinkett, even though I'm sure whoever plays Mr. Plinkett is inserting his own thoughts into the review, he really does feel like his own genuine character, and these are his actual thoughts, despite being fictional.

By the same token, when BronyCurious takes on the Plinkett persona, even if what he's arguing has genuine merit to it, I could still easily dismiss it of him being overly critical or taking it far more seriously then he or anyone should. I mean, yeah, I do agree with a LOT of what he says, and I just love picking apart the logic (or lack thereof) of the movie, but I can tell it's all in good fun, and that makes me feel better.

Who wants a pizza roll? E-mail me if you want a pizza roll, post a comment on this webzone if you wanna pizzarolls.sdf shpvitntghemia.

welp Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks (EG2) has been basically confirmed

FUCKING HYPED

Back