Equestria Girls (MLP spin-off)

Sorry for double post, but it released in those small amount of theaters yesterday. I haven't seen it quite yet.

But from what I hear, even those who were most critical about it that went to see it actually found it decent at worst.

I'm still waiting until a good quality comes up online somehow though.

From what I hear though, if anyone was concerned about if Flash Sentry (The name of the guy) is Twilight's love interest in it.

They never go any farther other then some blushing both as humans or when Twi gets back to the Pony world where Flash's Pony counterpart appears. Megan also said Flash Sentry won't appear in Season 4 of FiM.

Rotten Tomatoes even has it at 81% with nearly 1000 audience rates. Not bad for something that the fandom was freaking about for so long

Just in the Audience section right now. That's over 900 people and 80% of those people liked it. That's gotta say something right?

So, from what I can tell, it's "Could be worse, right?"

Although now that we know there's a portal to the human world, all sorts of plot holes will arise. Unless they close it, or something.

Toad Eightyfive said:
The audience section means jack nothing.

Even so, I'm not hearing about any huge negative responses to the movie.

Again, some of the most cynical that went to see it actually found it decent at worst. That's already a farcry on what the fandom was freaking out about.

It just means they managed to make something entertaining (Whether that being it's on par with a meh or average FiM episode, or some things could be really bad. But some of it saves it from being completely unwatchable) despite some bad concepts.

I too was very skeptical of this, but hearing it being better then most people expected it to be has me curious. (I'm sure I'll still dislike the designs of the Human ponies, the fact Spike's a dog (Even if he is talking), and the fact that in context of the show the Mane 6 ARE NOT High School age.... And also the fact this had to be FiM's first movie and not one that's a grand adventure that takes place in Equestria only. Oh well, maybe later and/or for the Series finale). Even if I'm still thinking the parts where there is still ponies (The beginning and the end of the movie) are still going to be the best parts.

man i dont believe this shit

i was going to school and passed by the movie theatre and they had this shit playing in the theatre

i was like :eek:

is this for real

So, I found a decent quality version (was recorded with like a camera or something so you may hear weird things/background noise at times, but the sound is good) of this on Youtube here.

I just saw it, I think it's awesome. Not gonna spoil anything though!
And the songs are awesome as well! ^__^

well i wasn't i wasn't planning on ever see this, but i just watched it

can't believe i'm saying this but i absolutely LOVED IT, the story wasn't nearly as bad as i was expecting (in fact it was pretty good imo), the humor was pretty great and i laughed more than once, songs were flipping fantastic too

Aw man the link I posted was taken down due to copyright... -__-

Also I was converting one of the videos of the song "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" but it didn't convert and then the moment I refresh, it was taken down. Darn it Youtube... >__>

But anyways, the story was pretty interesting, and it still maintained its humor (like human Pinkie Pie wishing she had a party cannon) xD
Speaking of Pinkie Pie, I think she became a Seer. O__o

The songs were amazing. I had to make sure I downloaded another version of the song I mentioned before Youtube took it down. XD

Timmy said:
But anyways, the story was pretty interesting, and it still maintained its humor (like human Pinkie Pie wishing she had a party cannon) xD
there was one thing i didn't get about the story

why didn't anyone call 911 when SS turned into into that demon looking thing and started and destroying the place while brainwashing people

Bowser45 the Sith Nazgul Pony of the Caribbean said:
Timmy said:
there was one thing i didn't get about the story

why didn't anyone call 911 when SS turned into into that demon looking thing and started and destroying the place while brainwashing people

Now I wonder

WARNING: Contains nitpicks.
What was the point of her turning into a demon in the first place? I mean, it really added nothing. I guess it was to make her look more evil, or something? Who knows.

Also, that magical pony transformation sequence was...kinda silly. Now that I think about it, it kinda denies the existence of any other parallel worlds. There's just a pony world and a human world. That's why they turn into half-ponies.

And why didn't Sunset Shimmer just, you know, STEAL the crown. Or why she went through the effort of breaking up the other Element wielders even though she shouldn't even know that they're threats

I can't see this until Saturday. But here's a good quality version of Equestria Girls (Better then the one that was originally out there) out that I'll be sure to check out later and give my thoughts on.

How would calling 911 even help?

Vocal Beat said:
How would calling 911 even help?
if the police showed up they could have least shot at Sunset or something, but then again it is very well possible should would have been immune to physical weapons and it actually wouldn't have helped, it really depends on exactly how powerful she was at the time

though cops/army whatever showing up and shooting would have been to violent for this movie, but it would have been more realistic

Alright I finally saw it. All my thoughts will be in a Spoiler box as convenience for those who haven't seen it yet.

Equestria Girls was…

ok

Just ok.
It wasn’t really too great, but it also wasn’t the most terrible thing ever that the drama from earlier seemed to have been expecting.

Let me say first what I enjoyed: I very much liked much of the beginning Pony part. If I didn’t know any better. The moments before Sunset Shimmer appears looked like it could fit exactly with what’s coming up in Season 4 with Twilight. (It was actually surprising to see that part of that Hot Minute clip was in this). At the very least this has me excited for whenever Twilight learns to fly then in Season 4. Oh and the scene where Twilight has trouble sleeping with her wings? That was priceless, and easily the funniest part of the entire movie

I liked that Spike took the initiative to go with Twilight anyway. As much as I didn’t like the idea of a Spike dog from the conceptual way, at least they made it work.

All the humanized Mane 6 are pretty spot on with each of the ponies they were. For the most part they really stayed in-character.

Oh and the songs were decent enough. “Help Twilight Sparkle win the Crowd" being the best one for sure.
Also I feel like I appreciated the little moments like Twilight not used to being bipedal or Fluttershy’s reactions to Spike more so then the actual big parts of the movie.

Going onto why I can’t give it a great score:

The beginning acts like it could work for the beginning of Season 4 it just seems jarring that it suddenly goes in a completely different direction from the whole “Twilight’s concerned about being a Princess" thing.

Why does Celestia, Luna, and Cadence go all cryptic about Twilight going into this new world? A big reason why I was glad Spike took the initiative and went with Twilight is because had that not happened. Twilight would of done this all alone without anyone from Equestria to back her up. That really doesn’t seem right to me. This is something Celestia has no clue about and she just sends Twilight off into it?

Sunset at least until she got the crown at the end just seemed like a typical High School “bad girl". The only breath of fresh-air part is that she’s not like the popular girl everyone likes although she’s really a bitch, she’s a bitch so bitchy that no one stands up to her instead. Which just makes her not only only a typical bad girl, but also a typical bully in cartoons. When she was confronting Fluttershy I was thinking in my head in “Where did I see this befo- oh yeah… Gilda"

It seems odd to me they’d have Snips and Snails as Sunset’s “minions" since they were originally Trixie’s fanboys. I suppose they feel the niche for the dimwitted minion to the antagonist given their type of character. Additionally, it kinda feels like Twilight could tell Principal Celestia that Sunset, Snips, and Snails are violating Student privacy (Not to mention stalking) by following Twilight around and catching her at embarassing moments to ruin her reputation before she could be elected the Fall princess.

Also the argument that humanized Main 6 other then Twilight seems off to me. Maybe it’s just because I’m so used to the Main 6 being friends that them blaming eachother for such and everything seems off.
The Soccer match with Rainbow was a tad pointless I must say.

By far one of the biggest problems was Flash Sentry though. The only time he’s actually all that useful is when he quickly shows Vice Principal Luna that the photos of her wrecking the gym were doctored. Other then that, he’s just a pointless love interest. He never doesn’t do anything else that’s special other then bump into Twilight at random points throughout the movie (Both Pony and Human). Yet Twilight somehow gains this crush on him like they’ve known eachother for a while now. He might as well said this every time he appeared “Hi, I’m the generic male love interest. Bumping into you, making you blush, and then putting you through all kinds of awkwardness when I ask to date you during the school’s prom". I’m glad Meghan said Flash wouldn’t be a character in Season 4 in one of her tweets. The whole subplot just comes way too quickly. There’s just barely any reason for Flash Sentry to be there. Especially since he’s not going to appear again, but that’s good because if he were to appear later his introduction and sudden connection between him and Twilight just was not done well. Maybe it’s a tad hypocritical of me, considering I liked Canterlot Wedding which had Shining Armor. But I think a family member like him is easier to take then a love interest.

Lastly, I found the little moments more entertaining then what’s supposedly the plot point. Nothing made me like Sunset as a villain, nothing really endured me to this whole human world Twilight goes to. The only exceptions being the Main 6 humans who were basically just an alternate Mane 6 anyway. Didn’t care for Flash Sentry, and overall seeing the Ponies compared to the humans is just more aesthetically fun to watch since the designs of the humans in this are just weird.

Don’t know have much else to say, these are just my initial first impresssions. I might rewatch it to really get a sense on what I think of it. But so far, it’s just decent. It’s not great by any means, but it has it’s real good moments that prevent it from being terrible. It’s still just a shame though this had to be FiM’s first movie, hoping in the future a real movie that takes place in Equestria and ONLY Equestria can be made in the future. Even if we have to wait until it’s made as the true Series finale.

All in all, I'd say a 5 or 6 out of 10

Matt Foley said:
So how far did Flash and Twilight go?

In the human world, it goes as far as Flash asking Twilight to the Prom/Dance/Etc. which caught Twilight in a awkward position to the point Flash thinks Twilight said No. Before the actual Dance though, Flash asks if they can have a dance at least sometime. This was only after Twilight had bumped into him a few times and after Flash helped show Vice Principal Luna that the photos showing Twilight wrecking the gym were doctored. Which while it helped Twilight alot, is really no reason for Twilight to seem to fall in love with him as it seems to go. In Equestria, she bumps into him once in the beginning and another time after she comes back. The time she comes back she blushes and then the Main 6 start teasing that she has a crush on him, which Twilight tries to deny.

It's definitely something I don't like. But given it's not going to go anywhere in the future (AKA the tweet saying that Flash won't be a character in Season 4) it's harmless. And only meant to really fill the male love interest part of a usual School-related flick.

Northern Verve said:
Alright I finally saw it. All my thoughts will be in a Spoiler box as convenience for those who haven't seen it yet.

Equestria Girls was…

ok

Just ok.
It wasn’t really too great, but it also wasn’t the most terrible thing ever that the drama from earlier seemed to have been expecting.

Let me say first what I enjoyed: I very much liked much of the beginning Pony part. If I didn’t know any better. The moments before Sunset Shimmer appears looked like it could fit exactly with what’s coming up in Season 4 with Twilight. (It was actually surprising to see that part of that Hot Minute clip was in this). At the very least this has me excited for whenever Twilight learns to fly then in Season 4. Oh and the scene where Twilight has trouble sleeping with her wings? That was priceless, and easily the funniest part of the entire movie

I liked that Spike took the initiative to go with Twilight anyway. As much as I didn’t like the idea of a Spike dog from the conceptual way, at least they made it work.

All the humanized Mane 6 are pretty spot on with each of the ponies they were. For the most part they really stayed in-character.

Oh and the songs were decent enough. “Help Twilight Sparkle win the Crowd" being the best one for sure.
Also I feel like I appreciated the little moments like Twilight not used to being bipedal or Fluttershy’s reactions to Spike more so then the actual big parts of the movie.

Going onto why I can’t give it a great score:

The beginning acts like it could work for the beginning of Season 4 it just seems jarring that it suddenly goes in a completely different direction from the whole “Twilight’s concerned about being a Princess" thing.

Why does Celestia, Luna, and Cadence go all cryptic about Twilight going into this new world? A big reason why I was glad Spike took the initiative and went with Twilight is because had that not happened. Twilight would of done this all alone without anyone from Equestria to back her up. That really doesn’t seem right to me. This is something Celestia has no clue about and she just sends Twilight off into it?

Sunset at least until she got the crown at the end just seemed like a typical High School “bad girl". The only breath of fresh-air part is that she’s not like the popular girl everyone likes although she’s really a bitch, she’s a bitch so bitchy that no one stands up to her instead. Which just makes her not only only a typical bad girl, but also a typical bully in cartoons. When she was confronting Fluttershy I was thinking in my head in “Where did I see this befo- oh yeah… Gilda"

It seems odd to me they’d have Snips and Snails as Sunset’s “minions" since they were originally Trixie’s fanboys. I suppose they feel the niche for the dimwitted minion to the antagonist given their type of character. Additionally, it kinda feels like Twilight could tell Principal Celestia that Sunset, Snips, and Snails are violating Student privacy (Not to mention stalking) by following Twilight around and catching her at embarassing moments to ruin her reputation before she could be elected the Fall princess.

Also the argument that humanized Main 6 other then Twilight seems off to me. Maybe it’s just because I’m so used to the Main 6 being friends that them blaming eachother for such and everything seems off.
The Soccer match with Rainbow was a tad pointless I must say.

By far one of the biggest problems was Flash Sentry though. The only time he’s actually all that useful is when he quickly shows Vice Principal Luna that the photos of her wrecking the gym were doctored. Other then that, he’s just a pointless love interest. He never doesn’t do anything else that’s special other then bump into Twilight at random points throughout the movie (Both Pony and Human). Yet Twilight somehow gains this crush on him like they’ve known eachother for a while now. He might as well said this every time he appeared “Hi, I’m the generic male love interest. Bumping into you, making you blush, and then putting you through all kinds of awkwardness when I ask to date you during the school’s prom". I’m glad Meghan said Flash wouldn’t be a character in Season 4 in one of her tweets. The whole subplot just comes way too quickly. There’s just barely any reason for Flash Sentry to be there. Especially since he’s not going to appear again, but that’s good because if he were to appear later his introduction and sudden connection between him and Twilight just was not done well. Maybe it’s a tad hypocritical of me, considering I liked Canterlot Wedding which had Shining Armor. But I think a family member like him is easier to take then a love interest.

Lastly, I found the little moments more entertaining then what’s supposedly the plot point. Nothing made me like Sunset as a villain, nothing really endured me to this whole human world Twilight goes to. The only exceptions being the Main 6 humans who were basically just an alternate Mane 6 anyway. Didn’t care for Flash Sentry, and overall seeing the Ponies compared to the humans is just more aesthetically fun to watch since the designs of the humans in this are just weird.

Don’t know have much else to say, these are just my initial first impresssions. I might rewatch it to really get a sense on what I think of it. But so far, it’s just decent. It’s not great by any means, but it has it’s real good moments that prevent it from being terrible. It’s still just a shame though this had to be FiM’s first movie, hoping in the future a real movie that takes place in Equestria and ONLY Equestria can be made in the future. Even if we have to wait until it’s made as the true Series finale.

All in all, I'd say a 5 or 6 out of 10

Matt Foley said:
So how far did Flash and Twilight go?

In the human world, it goes as far as Flash asking Twilight to the Prom/Dance/Etc. which caught Twilight in a awkward position to the point Flash thinks Twilight said No. Before the actual Dance though, Flash asks if they can have a dance at least sometime. This was only after Twilight had bumped into him a few times and after Flash helped show Vice Principal Luna that the photos showing Twilight wrecking the gym were doctored. Which while it helped Twilight alot, is really no reason for Twilight to seem to fall in love with him as it seems to go. In Equestria, she bumps into him once in the beginning and another time after she comes back. The time she comes back she blushes and then the Main 6 start teasing that she has a crush on him, which Twilight tries to deny.

It's definitely something I don't like. But given it's not going to go anywhere in the future (AKA the tweet saying that Flash won't be a character in Season 4) it's harmless. And only meant to really fill the male love interest part of a usual School-related flick.
Not a big fan of romance?

Time Turner said:
Not a big fan of romance?

Well I can't really say what I think of romance as a genre.

But I'm pretty sure Equestria Girls didn't really get Romance right in the first place. Flash just had way too minor of a role.

As one person I know described "Twilight has exchanged more emotionally bonding conversations with her toothbrush than this guy"

I watched it. That was better than I expected. The intrigue was fine. The song "Helping Twilight Win The Crown" was really awesome. And good humor.

Back