Equestria Girls (MLP spin-off)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I feel as though there's enough information about this to have it's own topic now... A movie, possibly a series premiere, based on the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series.

When a crown is stolen from the Crystal Empire, Twilight Sparkle pursues the thief into an alternate world where she transforms into a teenage girl who must survive her biggest challenge yet… high school. With help from her new friends who remind her of Ponyville’s Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, she embarks upon a quest to find the crown and change the destiny of these two parallel worlds.

That's the synopsis. And yes, this spin-off is actually getting a THEATRICAL release...

You know, I was all set in ignoring Equestria Girls, but the fact that it's now tied into the main series makes it irksome... The same way the prequel saga looms over the original Star Wars trilogy, or X-Men: The Last Stand kind of ruins the first two movies. I swear, if this were merely an unrelated spin-off that just so happened to have the character names and such, I wouldn't be this upset about it.

Watching the trailer, I just felt awkward... On one hand, the animation isn't too bad, and the voice actors are still all awesome... On the other hand... where do I even begin...

Well, first off, if the main character really IS Twilight Sparkle from the TV series, I'd like to know how, exactly, this fits in with the series, and it's relevance, not to mention how does she come back in time for season 4, or does this even take place... But really, the main problem I have with this is something that appears to encompasses the entire movie, and that's the fact that this is still pretty much a FUCKING HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA! Yeah yeah, don't knock it until you see it, FiM was pretty much slice of life, blah blah blah, I had no freaking interest or patience for high school drama back when I actually WAS in high school, and I CERTAINLY don't care for it now! Not to mention, the fact that Twilight actually has a live interest and an alpha-bitch to deal with just feels like this is following all the cliches of your a-typical high school drama... Not to mention, what, exactly, is Twilight going to get out of this that she can't get out of being in Equestria? Like, I know, we'll probably find out when it comes out, but I'm no SO invested in this that I actually care enough to find out. Really, the whole things feels so aggravating, and I don't want to be cynical, but it just FEELS like that's how the movie and the show, is going to turn out, and it gives me an awful feeling that it's going to taint the main series through the connection of Twilight actually going to this human world...

...You know what would redeem this? If Discord was a regular character. I don't even care if he takes a human for him this, he'd liven up this otherwise lame premise regardless! Actually, there appears to be some magic involved in this, if the trailer is any indicator. Not to mention, I have to wonder, will Twilight's love interest have a pony counterpart? I actually wouldn't mind seeing an actual romantic interest in the main show (the fact that it's introduced via THIS though does dampen my enthusiasm for it, though). Also, will other pony counterparts appear in this series? I actually wouldn't mind seeing Trixie eventually, somehow... Wait, now I'm actually getting interested? GAH, I just have such mixed feelings about it, I REALLY don't like the premise, the look, well, EVERYTHING about it, but if I'm going to get it, and if it IS going to be connected to the main series, then I might as well TRY and hope for the best, even though every fiber within me is focused on hating it with all my being.

Is it me, or is the title exactly the same as that California Girls parody they did a commercial on.

Also,

Baby Yoshi said:
the only part i found funny was when twilight ate the apple with her face as a human :posh:

Dr. John A. Zoidberg said:
What if the entire Equestria Girl universe took place in Discord's mind?
Now that's something to ponder...

But a mirror to Discord's mind? I dunno...

Dr. John A. Zoidberg said:
I hope the other pets are in it. Except Angel cause fuck Angel.
Whai?

And I don't know about the other pets being in it. Spike's the only one unique as a real world counterpart because he actually changes. The other pets would just look the same.

tumblr_m7xjjevoeE1rn95k2o1_250.gif

After watching that trailer I have officially lost what little interest I had in EG and i'm going to ignore it completely from now on.

Well at the very least I can say that it's animated well, and it may have at least one catchy tune since Daniel Ingram's making the music. But here's my main problems with it:

1. The Main 6 are not High School age
2. Spike should not be a dog, he is not Twilight's pet
3. Twilight can't use Magic. So now alot of the fantasy elements that are a part of why Friendship is Magic is loved are gone.
4. A potential love interest? Really? :/
5. I can already tell the best parts will probably be when the Ponies are still there given the joke Applejack and Pinkie say at the end of the trailer.

I hope it finds it's way online somehow after it's released in the theaters it's going to (It's not nationwide). I don't really want to pay money just to see something I'm not really expecting to be too good.

I'm still going to say that it will remain largely non-canon. Or at least not mentioned much in Season 4. So I still don't think it's that big of a deal yet.

So yeah, basically it looks and even sounds good considering the animation and the voice acting is the same. But I just don't think everything else will be up to par.

I think now is when we sit back and remember that this is a franchise with young girls as the target audience.

so is it safe for me to click the trailer and retain my sanity

seriously guys that picture of Twilight trying to eat an apple is scaring me

Hey, the official MLP YouTube page uploaded the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3hBtBibN_M

Like all of their videos, the comments have to be approved, but the like/dislike ratio, at least when I first watched it... Well, it definitely wasn't unanimous, but most people seemed to like it.

I can actually say that after watching the trailer several times, while I still think the high school premise and the cliches that come with it are definitely a step back and need to be worked around, I feel like I'm more interested and curious about Equestria Girls then anything, particularly in how it ties into the main series. I know the main series will continue, but I'm also curious in how they'll be connected, since this is apparently now canon with the main series.

so wait let me get this straight

they're making a movie that's going to be a SPIN-OFF that is an EXTREMELY AWFUL HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA which will most likely make people think bronies are even weirder than they already seem

CLT9qLD.gif

When a crown is stolen from the Crystal Empire, Twilight Sparkle pursues the thief into an alternate world where she transforms into a teenage girl who must survive her biggest challenge yet… high school.
sombra, you fiend

Smashgoom202 said:
I can actually say that after watching the trailer several times, while I still think the high school premise and the cliches that come with it are definitely a step back and need to be worked around, I feel like I'm more interested and curious about Equestria Girls then anything, particularly in how it ties into the main series. I know the main series will continue, but I'm also curious in how they'll be connected, since this is apparently now canon with the main series.

There's nothing that points to this being directly canon with the main series.

Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:

...Did you see the first few seconds of the trailer? How it's CLEARLY pony Twilight and all her friends there, and how pony Twilight goes through a mirror and ends up in that human world?

Now what frustrates me is that this HAS to be canon now, and now, for some weird reason, I WANT it to be more connected, because otherwise, why even have that part at the beginning? Maybe it's my inner nerd getting the better of me.

I thought it would only be cannon if it was referenced to in the main show.

In my opinion, the main problem of this is how it seems to take a lot of inspiration from the fandom. Seriously, the only love stories in the original series is where they were actually created to have love stories. However, in this, they've got Twilight, who was absolutely fine by herself, who was not originally created to have a love story, having a potential love story.

And only in the fandom, from what I've seen, is there a situation where they become schoolgirls, and spike becomes a dog and shit like that. And yet, something makes me want to watch this. I don't know whether it's because I want to see what it's like, or if I just want to watch it to point out it's flaws, or whether deep down I actually like this. I can't tell, it's too soon to tell. Don't hate me.

Smashgoom202 said:
Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:

...Did you see the first few seconds of the trailer? How it's CLEARLY pony Twilight and all her friends there, and how pony Twilight goes through a mirror and ends up in that human world?

Now what frustrates me is that this HAS to be canon now, and now, for some weird reason, I WANT it to be more connected, because otherwise, why even have that part at the beginning? Maybe it's my inner nerd getting the better of me.

I'm pretty sure it can be established as something seperate even if it begins with Pony Twilight. If it's something that Meghan herself said is separate from Season 4, why should we start thinking it's canon to the show?

I think of it more like as it's like a strange fanfic on FiMFiction that got picked up by Hasbro and put into an official product. It'd make it so the actual story was made not to have anything to do with the storyline of the show other then of course it's after Season 3. Unless the events of it are mentioned somewhere in Season 4, I'm sure it can be taken as an alternate universe despite it beginning with Twilight as a Pony. Until proven otherwise.

I think there's a chance Sunset Shimmer will be a character in Season 4. But still have no recollection of Equestria Girls. If so, Equestria Girl's only impact so far is that it revealed a future antagonist albeit Alternate Universe-wise first.

Back