Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

I think I was at 42.

Would have made the battle 10x easier had I know that you could have jumped into the clown car and get your bro moves back.

Still defeated him on the first try, but I had some really good badges on.

I can't beat Pilodium X or Antasma X but I am only level 40. When I was on the game the other day I started grinding in Bowser's Castle because I think the enemies there are the strongest outside of the Battle Ring.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buy/#/3dsxl-dreamteam

Yoshidude99 said:
I can't beat Pilodium X or Antasma X but I am only level 40. When I was on the game the other day I started grinding in Bowser's Castle because I think the enemies there are the strongest outside of the Battle Ring.
it takes an unholy long time to grind in this game

NSY said:
Yoshidude99 said:
it takes an unholy long time to grind in this game

Just farm beans, then. Get those boots from those robot enemies in Neo Bowser Castle, and fight Dream World hordes when Mario has them on.

Anna said:
It's been like 5 months now and no one really talks about this game anymore.

I think it can be unstickied now...
I agree.
Except the last post wasn't 5 months ago (is that what you were saying?)

I got pissed off last night at Hard Mode Giant Bowser (so besides finishing up the final bosses and the regular Medley (no way I'm doing Giant X bosses, giant bosses are scripted battles anyways)). I had a sliver of health left and managed to fake-kill him with the regular star, and I was ready to counter his super giant hammer attack (I can do that fairly easily) and have one shot at the last gyro section to finally end giant battle hell. But noooooo... he does the fucking crushing stomp, and even though I know now that you have to swipe up on both sides to dodge it, I was nowhere close this time and died.

I thought for sure it was always hammer first, but I guess it's random, and the coin flip didn't go my way at all. Not sure when I'm going to try again now

Wayoshi said:
I got pissed off last night at Hard Mode Giant Bowser (so besides finishing up the final bosses and the regular Medley (no way I'm doing Giant X bosses, giant bosses are scripted battles anyways)). I had a sliver of health left and managed to fake-kill him with the regular star, and I was ready to counter his super giant hammer attack (I can do that fairly easily) and have one shot at the last gyro section to finally end giant battle hell. But noooooo... he does the fucking crushing stomp, and even though I know now that you have to swipe up on both sides to dodge it, I was nowhere close this time and died.

I thought for sure it was always hammer first, but I guess it's random, and the coin flip didn't go my way at all. Not sure when I'm going to try again now
Just keep going for it, eventually you'll get there.

The thing I hated about the Giant Bowser battle (and the rest of the game in general) was those damn motion controls. Especially since Luigi would always move in a direction that was the exact opposite of where he was supposed to.

Knuckles the Echidna said:
The thing I hated about the Giant Bowser battle (and the rest of the game in general) was those dang motion controls. Especially since Luigi would always move in a direction that was the exact opposite of where he was supposed to.
Yeah I hated that. A lot of rage there.

Wayoshi said:
I got pissed off last night at Hard Mode Giant Bowser (so besides finishing up the final bosses and the regular Medley (no way I'm doing Giant X bosses, giant bosses are scripted battles anyways)). I had a sliver of health left and managed to fake-kill him with the regular star, and I was ready to counter his super giant hammer attack (I can do that fairly easily) and have one shot at the last gyro section to finally end giant battle hell. But noooooo... he does the *bleep*ing crushing stomp, and even though I know now that you have to swipe up on both sides to dodge it, I was nowhere close this time and died.

I can't even pass the Mount Pajamaja fight in hard mode. It took me a couple of tries on the normal game but the hard mode fight is impossible for me. I died in pretty much every giant battle on my first try except for the first one though.

^ I found this Giant oddly hard too, I think I barely had any health left. Have to learn how he volleys the chunk of rock to win that one.

Got Giant Bowser on the 3rd try tonight - I was able to guard the stomp twice finally!

The problem with Giant Bowser is it's an epic spectacle to watch, but it's really all staged gameplay-wise - you have to beat him in a certain way, mostly dodging his attacks. You have to do the backwards hammer attack a couple times, and have to jump a couple times when he's over metal platforms. There's no time to heal either.

Also, it's really easy to misread the fireballs in Star Driver. Even though it's always the exact same pattern (probably as compensation), it's still hard.

I've done OK with the gyro, but I've noticed while doing these battles again in Hard Mode that it doesn't calibrate perfectly, so I think Dream Team made a bit too much use of them.

Now to finally finish the maingame, see that Hard Mode exclusive image(s) (yay little rewards), then I'll finish off the X bosses and Bowser Jr another time, maybe try to get all S rank in the mini-games... and I'll feel done with this great game.

Bowser Jr is a simple boss. He just has a high HP.

And he is even easier when you use badges, and when you jump into his Clown Car when you get the occasion.

Knuckles the Echidna said:
The thing I hated about the Giant Bowser battle (and the rest of the game in general) was those damn motion controls. Especially since Luigi would always move in a direction that was the exact opposite of where he was supposed to.
The Gyro controls during the Giant Bowser battles were horrible. While I can do dislike Gyro controls as a whole, I just about stand it's other uses.

And done. I abused multiple Risk/Master (auto-charge any badge combo, 1/3 success rate) to get at least one Guard/Expert (it lets you survive at 1 HP for 3 turns, takes awhile to charge) and then copy them with Miracle/Expert (which costs way less). So once I had two Guard/Experts and I was getting close to dying, use one, charge Miracle/Expert in the meantime, get the second one back just in time, rinse & repeat.

I still had to guard well at Level 44 (11 under recommended) to win - it's not a perfect loop. But hey, I could have comboed Risk/Expert with Miracle/Gold and Miracle/Silver... :yoshi:

The Master Wear is a disappointing reward for all S rank in the Skillathon. I mean, I understand it's going to be a BP-related wear since you do master challenges of most BP attacks, but in BiS, Master Wear was: SP +20, DEF +140 (2nd highest in game), Special attack POW +25%. Absolutely wonderful. Here it's BP +30, DEF +84 (highest among static defense wears, Expert can get to 160(!), Golden 150), and 2 BP per every time you get it. It's BP overkill and ends up being outclassed by the King Wear - same DEF, POW and STACHE +30, countering with equal damage sometimes when you do get hurt. The Angel Wear in Bowser's Castle (same def, +30 HP, +20 BP, double def when on low health) is also arguably better.

Anyways, yeah, 100+ hours logged on the game, I feel done. Looking forward to the next installment in hopefully 2016-17.

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
I'm still hoping for the ability to switch to having Luigi in front again
Me too. :/

I want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to be back in some form.

Back