Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I wish that karts were still unlocked by cups though.

MnSG said:
You do unlock characters by winning races though. Sadly, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe took that away by making everyone playable right off the bat.
You act like it's a bad thing.

I love 200cc Cheese Land. Baby Luigi + P-Wing + GLA Tires, baby.

Plumber Peach said:
I got unlucky on Animal Crossing.

If I recall correctly, this was the only course that gave me trouble on 200cc. The track itself wasn't hard, but I kept messing up at the turn right before the gliding section due to items and other racers. I think I had to restart the cup 3-5 times before I finally 3 starred it.

That exact scenario with Animal Crossing happened the first time I made it past Cheese Land on 200cc. On the last turn no less. The second time I made it past Cheese Land, bullshit happened on Wild Woods. Wasn't till the third time I finally made it. This is not counting the probably 10+ times I was screwed on Cheese Land.

Problem is, you are talking to someone who has restarted the cup over 6 times on only 150cc.

That happened to me a few unlucky times across the entire cup selection on 150cc, Mirror is another story. I do prefer MK8's triple star system over the past games, where even consistent 1st place isn't enough, it actually calculates how long you were in 1st (not just if you finished there) and I remember seemingly perfect runs in MK7 but still only getting 2 stars.

At least in MKWii only 1 star is required for unlockables, or at least for what I've unlocked already I think.

>sees people hating on Cheese Land and Neo Bowser City cause they're hard
>two of my favourite tracks

You guys just need to Git Gud 8)

I'm not hating on them, but I'm saying they are really hard.

Lee Chaolan said:

I don't think either of them are hard. I've yet to truly master the beginning and ending turn on Wii U Rainbow Road though.

They're pretty challenging on 200cc, especially in bananas only mode.

Lee Chaolan said:

Sorry you like bad tracks

They're not bad tracks.

Not a bad track either.

That's crazy. I was looking back at the first page, the one where expectations for the game were posted, are just look at that, he got all of them right! All of the N64 tracks!

YoshiGo99 said:
I hated most of MKW's tracks. I really hope for N64 Toad's turnpike, royal raceway, yoshi valley and Rainbow road. Also I sure hope we get new items and the return of the Chain chomp

My worst tracks are Dolphin Shoals, Bone Dry Dunes and Ice Ice Outpost, I have trouble with Cheese Land and Neo Bowser City on 200 sometimes but they are still fun.

J-Yoshi64 said:
It's pretty overused online, I hear. Doesn't mean it's bad, though.

Dolphin Shoals is supposed to be paradise for a high water speed combo, but sometimes it feels like water speed differences aren't all that noticeable if a 5.75/6 water speed combo is losing to a 4.5/6 water speed combo.

I even recall scenarios in Mario Kart 7 where even when you're using the fastest water combos at Wario Shipyard, you're still getting crushed by the worst water combos.

Using Morton + Sport Bike + Leaf Tires + Bowser Kite on MK8U (that 4.25 speed with 4 Acceleration was a treat), I can assure you that Dolphin Shoals giving 5.25 speed and 4 acceleration made the difference, this was even more noticeable in 150cc.

Having played quite a bit 200cc with Lemmy + Sport Bike + Leaf Tires + Bowser Kite, the most troublesome tracks for me were 3DS Neo Bowser City and Dragon Driftway, with the beginning of Wii U Rainbow Road being troublesome especially when pther players were around, for obvious reasons. Sport Bikes (because that's their name, as revealed by in-game strings, they do not drift at all so inside drifting is an inappropriate name, I wonder if Nintendo ever bothered to mention them in the original MKW guide) turn very slowly while the biker leans, so they have very different difficult tracks - basically the ones in which there are a lot of U turns. Their low traction doesn't help in Neo Bowser City, either. Outside drifting vehicles turn pretty fast while drifting, so I'm not surprised if they have no troubles in Neo Bowser City or Dragon Driftway or Wii U Rainbow Road.

Back