Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Too bad that you're pretty much blind without the touch screen, meaning that there's no way to prepare for incoming Spiny Shells or Lightning attacks. In other words, you're pretty much back to the ways of Mario Kart Wii, where you have to use your Star immediately, because you'll have absolutely no warning on when the next Lightning will strike.

And of course, you won't be able to tell what items your opponents are holding.

i think its balanced

No item spy but at the same time you have 2 items , so you are not really screwed for surprise attacks.

MnSG said:
Too bad that you're pretty much blind without the touch screen, meaning that there's no way to prepare for incoming Spiny Shells or Lightning attacks. In other words, you're pretty much back to the ways of Mario Kart Wii, where you have to use your Star immediately, because you'll have absolutely no warning on when the next Lightning will strike.

And of course, you won't be able to tell what items your opponents are holding.

Honestly, I prefer the item guessing game of MKWii. I guess I just love the unpredictability factor of it. That's probably why I find that game addicting and not so much the last two Mario Karts that have item spy.

Still, not being able to see incoming Spiny Shells can potentially be a lead killer, especially when facing CPU racers that are often given speed handicaps. Being able to bait Spiny Shells into attacking a different racer can potentially save you from disaster, but that kind of tactic is only really effective for high accelerating combos; combos with bad acceleration will have to take more time to regain speed, which could put them as a disadvantageous position.

I would absolutely hate losing item spy though. I really didn't like the unpredictability of Mario Kart Wii, it made its items even worse.

It must be said that in Mario Kart 8 item spy can be fully deactivated by using the GamePad in off-TV mode, so it isn't really shoved down the throat of users who want unpredictability, just an optional tool that players can use at their advantage.

I rarely used item spy because I find hard to look at TV and the gamepad at same time, while I had no problem in 3DS for Mario Kart 7.

Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:
Or, if you plug in the switch controller to the TV, you could get item spy functionality
Sorry that I didn't immediately point to the source, it has been officially confirmed that this is not the case: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13362890/nintendo-switch-not-dualscreen

Well off topic but I am glad dualscreen is removed, that means I can play Splatoon in my bed without having to look at tv.

i use(d) the pro controller for every wii u game that didnt absolutely require the gamepad, so no item spy for me

The funny thing is, I've always used the GamePad to play Mario Kart 8, thanks to its added advantage of viewing what items your opponents are holding.

Knowing that the Nintendo Switch doesn't have touch screen features will pretty much mean that the next Mario Kart title won't give you that kind of luxury.

MnSG said:
The funny thing is, I've always used the GamePad to play Mario Kart 8, thanks to its added advantage of viewing what items your opponents are holding.

Knowing that the Nintendo Switch doesn't have touch screen features will pretty much mean that the next Mario Kart title won't give you that kind of luxury.

How exactly would a game like Mario Kart benefit from touch screens?

Deinosuchus said:
How exactly would a game like Mario Kart benefit from touch screens?

If you refer back to Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7, you'll pretty much get your answer.

There was nothing on the bottom screen in DS and 7 that couldn't be done without a touch sensitive screen.

I liked the touch screen functionality in Mario Kart 8. It makes menu browsing much easier, since you can just touch tabs to start modes and races rather than move your cursor to choose them. I still can't believe why Smash Bros. for Wii U hasn't done it, it's the little convenience like that matters.

Swiftie_Luma said:
The replay thing was indeed fixed ages ago , i think with the map on the screen update iirc.

But how was it fixed? Like, how was it before and how was it after the "fix"? I think it's the same as in release Mario Kart 8. It leaves the last highlighted option instead of making "Next Race" the default no matter what you chose the last time.

No.

The default option in the vanilla game was ''watch highlight reel'' or something

Now the default option is '' next race''

They actually fixed it.

Swiftie_Luma said:
No.

The default option in the vanilla game was ''watch highlight reel'' or something

Now the default option is '' next race''

They actually fixed it.

can confirm

Bowser Jr.

Needs no reason, he should have been in the game in the first place.

Diddy Kong.

Needs no reason, he should have been in the game in the first place.

Donkey Kong Jr. + alt colors (pink)

Needs no reason, he should've been in the game in the first place

Back