Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

I just suddenly realized that F-Zero NX would be a perfect name.

Damn the Burnout studio would have handled it well

I don't want a third DLC; MK8 is already great, and with 36 character selections (not including Shy Guy/Yoshi skins) and 48 tracks/12 cups, it's basically two Mario Kart Games in one.

However, if they DID add a third DLC package, would love for it to be some more variety in the battle modes. I don't think many of us would mind if they brought things like the Bob-omb battles and shine chasers back, or even just gave us some different tracks to have battle modes on. I think that would warrant DLC, while the rest of the game is overfull of crazy amounts of goodness.

Battle mode needs to be in Mario kart 7 style again

Ness said:
okay i'm fine with mk7 style battle mode but coin runners needs to be deleted imho

But I like making Wario get zero coins, it really feels like an accomplishment.

i dont care what modes they have so long as they have actual battle courses instead of just normal tracks

I'm sure it takes more than just arenas to patch all of MK8's Battle Mode's flaws.

i like balloon battle well enough and i enjoy playing battle mode on mk8
however there are few moments when people are close enough to attack on regular courses

each installment of mario kart from DS onward just shows how much less nintendo cares about battle mode.

battle mode in this game felt like it was added only because its always been there

Lucina said:
each installment of mario kart from DS onward just shows how much less nintendo cares about battle mode.

battle mode in this game felt like it was added only because its always been there
IMO, my views on battle mode is like this

MKWii (with mods) > MK7 > MKDS > MK8 > MKWii (without mods) >>>> The rest.

Not really a downward trend, but yeah, it's pretty much hit-and-miss. Mario Kart Wii had forced teams (I can live with that), but it has motherf***ing spiny shells and POW Block and all those other rotten items.

Also, Mario Kart Wii's battle mode has NO CPU VFX WHATSOEVER in mulitplayer.

That's SERIOUS bull*bleep*

Double Post but we finally are able to get character models from this game from the Model's Resource

Newsflash: the characters are actually incredibly low poly (lower polyier than we thought). Their graphics there are about on par with Mario Superstar Baseball....hell Baby Luigi is probably lower poly than that (his highest poly model is his Super Sluggers model, still). What causes them to look beautiful despite their ugliness in vanilla model editors? Bumpmaps and specmaps. Hell, even I thought Baby Luigi had a model difference when changing facial expressions. He doesn't.

It's a perfect thing for game development though, since polycount takes a toll on FPS.

they tell us its hd graphics so our minds trick us into thinking the graphics are better than they actually are

At least the models have finger bones, which was something that the models in the past Mario Kart titles heavily lacked.

Glitchy said:
That definitely looks like a gamecube model.

But how do they end up looking nice ingame?

Baby Luigi said:
What causes them to look beautiful despite their ugliness in vanilla model editors? Bumpmaps and specmaps. Hell, even I thought Baby Luigi had a model difference when changing facial expressions. He doesn't.

It's a perfect thing for game development though, since polycount takes a toll on FPS.

Basically, bumpmaps are materials that give the model pseudo-elevation with the lighting without actually changing the model while spec-maps also help control lighting.

Metal Mario relies on the environment around him to make him look shiny.

MnSG said:
At least the models have finger bones, which was something that the models in the past Mario Kart titles heavily lacked.

They have only 4 finger bones tops. I had to add finger bones for the fingers that are not the middle finger or the thumb. But it's a good thing their hands aren't squares this time.

They most likely do, as Mario Party 9's character models are better than Mario Kart 8's. For starters, all the fingers have bones, with 15 bones, three per finger (if you look at your own finger, bones are the joints).

Of course, Mario Kart 8 has LOD (level of detail) models, which is especially noticeable when you're beginning a race in local multiplayer and you look back at your racer's faces. They're the low-quality models, notice how jagged they are.

Back