Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Was anyone actually surprised by this. I expected all of them to return. Hell, this game will probably have nearly every character who has been in a MK game before.

Champion Christmas said:
Was anyone actually surprised by this. I expected all of them to return. Hell, this game will probably have nearly every character who has been in a MK game before.

Yes I am.

Well, I don't know how to put it, but Baby Luigi's last appearance in a game was like 5 years ago. I was worried sick he wouldn't make it in. Seeing him in that almost made me cry and had me a fangirl-like squeal.

Anyone else notice the desert stage with the Dry Piranha's and then the head of Dry Bowser over a cave? I watched it many times (as many of you are doing too), and noticed it.

> Dry Bowser confirmed?

Funky_Kong_Artwork_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze.png

Funky Kong hasn't been forgotten people. What are the chances that he'll be back in Mario Kart 8?

Deku Link said:
Anyone else notice the desert stage with the Dry Piranha's and then the head of Dry Bowser over a cave? I watched it many times (as many of you are doing too), and noticed it.

> Dry Bowser confirmed?
I noticed that, and the likelihood is large.

YknXrbh.jpg

Track names?

Duskull said:
That airport level looks so good, and good catch BL

Don't credit me: some guy on GameFAQs got there first

According to that picture, Sunshine Airport appears to be part of the Star Cup. I wonder if the listed track names are part of that same cup as well making each cup have 5 tracks instead of 4. It would make sense if Sunshine Airport was the first track of the Star Cup since it's an airport and it "takes you" to your next destination lol.

Also, various kart symbols can be seen. In the image with Bowser and Wario in the bone area (image posted above in a previous post), you can clearly see Toad's symbol on one of the flags, but on the far left you can also see Shy Guy's kart symbol on one of the flags. I would be pretty lame to plaster Shy Guy's kart symbol on something only for him to not be playable.

It also seems like the babies get new kart symbols as well?

BirdoFan87 said:
It also seems like the babies get new kart symbols as well?

From what I've seen, the babies have their adult counterparts' emblems surrounded by a circle of petals like in Mario Tennis Open.

Aren't the colors reversed as well? Baby Luigi, for instance, has a white L surrounded by a green background.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
Aren't the colors reversed as well? Baby Luigi, for instance, has a white L surrounded by a green background.

Oh... yeah, the colors are reversed. I hadn't noticed it, thanks for pointing it out.

I wish I could get a screenshot and post it, but I'm not sure how that works on a iPhone yet, but there is a poster of Toad in front a desert stage, which appears to say Dry Dry Desert. Some have said that it reads as Bone Dry Desert, but you can clearly see the "y" in the first word on the poster in Sunshine Airport. You have the pause it just at the right moment to see it.

ThePremiumYoshi said:
Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:

Oh... yeah, the colors are reversed. I hadn't noticed it, thanks for pointing it out.

That is...AWESOME

finally their insignias needed to be different

Baby Luigi said:
YknXrbh.jpg

Track names?
And just a few seconds before that we see a poster with Toad and an image of a desert with text saying "Mysterious Sands Dry Dry Desert". And the mysterious sands part is probably hinting at the Piranha thing in that sand pit, so we can now settle the dispute that the desert track is GCN Dry Dry Desert.

EDIT: Should we starting putting up the confirmed cups on the wiki? It seems that Sunshine Airport is in the Star Cup (look at the banner) and was Mario Circuit said to be in Mushroom Cup?

BirdoFan87 said:
I wish I could get a screenshot and post it, but I'm not sure how that works on a iPhone yet, but there is a poster of Toad in front a desert stage, which appears to say Dry Dry Desert. Some have said that it reads as Bone Dry Desert, but you can clearly see the "y" in the first word on the poster in Sunshine Airport. You have the pause it just at the right moment to see it.
Press Power+Home

But I still can't figure out if Kirby is in or not... Sakurai, why do you do this to us!

Didn't Nintendo say that there will be no nonMario characters (excluding Mii) from Mario Kart?

Too bad we won't get a Kirby Air Ride. :(

Baby Luigi said:
YknXrbh.jpg

Track names?
Well according to MarioWiki, Sweet Sweet Canyon is the dessert themed track (the one with waffle windmills in the first trailer and where the babies are racing in the second trailer), Thwomp Ruins is a ruins track (also shown in the first trailer), Dolphin Shoals is a San Francisco track, Bone Dry Dunes *new* is a canyon track filled with bones and Cloudtop Cruise *new* is a sky course where Rosalina is racing.

I think the Water Park course is a new track similar to Koopa Cape.

Wait? The San Francisco-esque track is Dolphin Shoals? I don't recall dolphins being a big part of that track. Perhaps someone just assumed it was? I thinking that may be incorrect.

This is why we don't allow this even though it's in plain sight: too much room for speculation

Has it been confirmed whether or not this game will have support of the Pro Controller? I was thinking about purchasing one when Smash came out, but I looked at the list of supported controllers for Mario Kart 8 and the Pro Controller is absent. I'm not sure how I feel about using the game pad for Mario Kart.

Back