Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

MnSG said:
Battle mode isn't really the main priority anyway, as it's not like you can unlock anything from it.
They should tie unlocks to it. Flesh out the mode some more, too.

Groose said:
I just don't think Nintendo care about battle mode anymore. It's alaways been an afterthought but it's feeling like more and more of one for every installment after mkds.

but mario kart 7 had the best battle mode :???:

Baby Luigi said:
Groose said:
I just don't think Nintendo care about battle mode anymore. It's alaways been an afterthought but it's feeling like more and more of one for every installment after mkds.

No, no it doesn't. You are entitled to your own opinions, but I cannot agree with you on this. I'm sorry.

Baby Luigi said:
Groose said:

hmm havent tried it yet

i remember wii's being pretty awesome

Zae Eildus said:
Baby Luigi said:
Groose said:

hmm havent tried it yet

i remember wii's being pretty awesome

well think 7 as wii's except you aren't in forced teams and you can set item-only matches

Lumastar said:
Baby Luigi said:
Groose said:

No, no it doesn't. You are entitled to your own opinions, but I cannot agree with you on this. I'm sorry.

i'm not going to argue with you but it's entirely wrong that the points-based system was an "afterthought"

It does, sorta

Have you heard about fire-hopping, demon-sliding, sandbagging, and strong drifting?

Magikrazy said:
How come Mario Kart doesn't have a competitive scene like Smash?
Mostly because of how important and crucial luck based items have be to the series and the fans, However a competitive scene in Mario Kart can develop now seeing you can finally turn off items online.

Groose said:
Mostly because of how important and crucial luck based items have be to the series and the fans, However a competitive scene in Mario Kart can develop now seeing you can finally turn off items online.

The only problem is that racing without any items renders most of the vehicle part groups useless.

Nysic said:
I've only heard of fire hopping. What are the others?

Demon-sliding is like fire-hopping, you briefly powerslide back and forth instead of hopping back and forth

Strong drifting (or smooth drifting, whatever) is when you tilt your control stick in a 45 degree angle (up left or up right) to make drifts appear faster. Sandbagging is staying in lower places to get stronger items.

Oh, so sandbagging is what we do to kill Wario in racing?

Not really. We're specifically using items to make Wario last, whereas, sandbagging is purposely staying last so you can take shortcuts, avoid spiny shells, etc that sort of stuff.

Anser said:
What does Mario Kart 8 have to offer that we haven't had in the past? Absolutely NOTHING. Beautiful graphics? Hell yes, but how does that affect gameplay? Antigravity is barely noticeable. It's all about the flavor the game leaves after you've played it.

Anti-gravity definitely changed some of the gameplay a bit, not based on the view, but with the spins and mini-boosts you get from ramming into spinners and other characters. That really does change the gameplay a bit as you actually can make it fun ramming into others and rewarded by going faster. Not to mention that this game has a lot of tracks where there are split paths, which makes the gameplay different as sometimes you won't see your opponents until the next time the tracks meet back together, and gives different routes for each time you play the track, making it better for replay value. And the graphics do help the game feel more alive. Just look at a lot of the retro tracks, and how drastically different they look and feel when playing on them.

... Oh wait yes, it does give us the worst roster of the series. My bad.

While I agree that Koopalings and all the babies were too much when they obviously showed that koopalings could have been one character via different colored Yoshis and Shy Guys, I don't think it was the worse in the series. Of course, opinions, but at least it has a lot of variety.

You may think that like Mario Kart Wii, 8 also introduced great tracks. I don't. I find them all pretty dull and ridiculously easy.

Tbh, most of the tracks in 64 were pretty dull as a lot were just raceways where you just go on tracks around a loop and had no obstacles other than sliding on the grass. GCN had Baby Park, Dry Dry Desert, Yoshi Circuit, and Dino Dino Jungle (at least for me; I do agree that DD had fun tracks, but there still are some dull and tracks). I really don't see how you find tracks like Sweet Sweet Canyon, Shy Guy Falls, Mount Wario, or the new Bowser Castle to be exciting and somewhat difficult. Heck, Bone Dry Dunes and Dolphin Shoals definitely had their challenges, and the new Rainbow Road can be a bitch with the sharp turns.

As for opinions, it's good to argue opinions because sometimes it's good to try to get a view as to why the other person see's how they see, and expands your perspective and gives you a more open mind about the issue at hand. Hence why I said above "I really don't see". As long as you don't try to call people stupid or belittle them because you find your opinion superior or their views pointless, it's not a bad thing.

Speaking of which:

Anser said:
I swear to God people here only hear what they want to hear. Look and think beyond the words you read, guys. It's good for your IQ.

Anser said:
I never insulted any of you or your IQs to start with. Read the sentence again if you think you're intelligent enough to call others hypocrites when the word itself is completely out of context here.

Anser said:
Think twice next time you want to disrespect someone.

and then there's me, sitting here with no negative opinions about anyone or anything barring a few minor nitpicks here and there

Nozomi Toujou said:
and then there's me, sitting here with no negative opinions about anyone or anything barring a few minor nitpicks here and there

Pretty much this

Nozomi Toujou said:

Lol, what are you talking about? You're so critical!!! D:< :)P)

Honestly, if I was banned for one thing, it would probably be for getting into heated discussions about opinions (partly due to the fact that I never shut up and another because I know that I never express myself correctly and I probably post stuff that is meant in a nice and apporachable way but appears to others as me being an ass).

But back to what I said in that post, I am a bit irritated with the roster about the Koopalings. They were able to make them just as alt costumes for Super Smash Bros., but they take up 7 character slots in this game when they have 8 different colors Yoshis and Shy Guys. The roster easily could have been:

Mario - Luigi - Peach - Daisy - Rosalina - Metal Mario
Yoshi - Toad - Koopa - Shy Guy - Lakitu - Toadette
Birdo - Diddy Kong - Dry Bones - Wiggler - Bowser Jr./Koopalings - Mii
B. Mario - B. Luigi - B. Peach - B. Daisy - B. Rosalina - PGP
Bowser - DK - Wario - Waluigi - King Boo - Dry Bowser

And I'm sure that everyone would have been happier with that.

EDIT - And if they actually formatted the characters next to each other (that bothered me too in the game), it could have looked like...

Mario - Luigi - Peach - Daisy - Rosalina - Metal Mario
B. Mario - B. Luigi - B. Peach - B. Daisy - B. Rosalina - PGP
Yoshi - Toad - DK - Wario - Bowser - Koopa
Birdo - Toadette - Diddy Kong - Waluigi - BJ/Koopalings - Dry Bones
- Shy Guy - Lakitu - Wiggler - King Boo - Dry Bowser - Mii

The only problem with that roster is that with the Koopalings as costumes for Bowser Jr, they all share the same stats, which is ridiculous.

Unless of course they don't, in which case they can have their own roster spots.

Magikrazy said:
The only problem with that roster is that with the Koopalings as costumes for Bowser Jr, they all share the same stats, which is ridiculous.

Unless of course they don't, in which case they can have their own roster spots.

Honestly they are all about the same size (and can be as shown in SSB) so it's not like they all couldn't just be one size.

Back