Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Maybe it's because N64 is a console while DS is a handheld? I prefer Mario's SM64 model to his SM64DS model, because while the DS model has more modern textures, the N64 model's hands can actually have different positions.

Stanley the Troll said:
Maybe it's because N64 is a console while DS is a handheld? I prefer Mario's SM64 model to his SM64DS model, because while the DS model has more modern textures, the N64 model's hands can actually have different positions.

nah, your logic is that handhelds = weak device

that's like saying smartphones are weaker than the old vacuum tube computers because they're handheld devices

Wittgenstein>any smartphone

The time gap between those computers and smartphones is a lot greater than the gap between the 64 and the DS.

not really, it's more like the advance of technology than the time gap: micro-transistors and processors are the guys that helped you carry a computer tens of thousands of times more powerful than the computing giant ENIAC. And Moore's Law states that the number of transistors doubles every two years

My point is that the DS is a far more powerful computing device than an N64

Wally said:
Anser said:
Now that I've had this game for over six months, I have to get something off my chest.

I think that out of the home console Mario Kart games, Mario Kart 8 is the absolute worst.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome game, but I think it's the weakest and blandest out of all of them. It doesn't offer any challenge, it's not innovative at all (the anti-gravity is barely noticeable and it's not as game-changing as they make it want to be). Sometimes I feel like it's just yet another kart racing game with Mario characters plastered on it.

Anser said:
I think you're not getting my point, but I guess that's my fault because I'm not making it clear enough. My point is that unlocking Petey Piranha, King Boo and Rosalina isn't that hard, but it's definitely not something you can call easy, no matter how good you are at the game. You have to work on it. What I'm trying to say is that it is definitely much harder than the unlocking criteria in Mario Kart 8. You could beat all 8 cups in 50cc and you could get 8 freaking characters which is more than half of the total amount of unlockable characters, for doing basically nothing. There's no variety when it comes to unlocking stuff, and there isn't much to unlock, which is something really important to me.

You are right when you're saying that maybe I'm not choosing the right game because I want a lot of unlockables. I don't want a Smash Bros amount of unlockable content, but something like Double Dash would be nice. A couple of characters, two cups (one of which is basically all the cups together), a couple of battle arenas and a good amount of cars. Some of those are easy, some of those are kind of harder. There's variety in both content and difficulties, and that's a huge flaw that Mario Kart 8 has: it offers none of that.

Translation: I don't like this game because it's not MK:DD!!

I'm not sure that just because the characters are easy to unlock qualifies for a game to be the worse in the series, especially since you talked about how awesome the gameplay is, which is the main focus of the game. I mean, other than the unlockables, what makes it such a bad game (and the innovation comment can be said about ALL of them, such as how two people in a kart made no different imo nor did the gliders/underwater in MK7)?

Besides, I don't know how Gold Glider is not a challenging unlockable requirement, or for getting three stars on 150cc and Mirror (not as hard as the other Mario Karts because still can be a bitch when you get ripped off right at the end). Plus stamps can be difficult depending on what level grand prix you are doing or ghost trial you are facing off against. Unlockables include more than just characters you know.

I mean, hate the game and stuff, but I don't know how "not enough difficulty in unlocking things" outweighs things like "computers always on your ass and difficult controls with no unlockable characters in MK64" (Love MK64, and I don't want to give any other examples).

Wait... What? First of all, I never said it was a bad game and I never said that I hate it; I actually said I think it's awesome but I think it's the worse of the series, not because of the unlockables, but because of the gameplay. Yes, the gameplay is cool (and again, not bad at all), but it's just more of the same that we have seen so many times before. It offers pretty much nothing new.

Having two people on the same kart didn't feel any different when playing solo, but it made a huge difference when you played in co-op, and it was soooooo fun.

And I'm sorry, but you're horrendously wrong about unlocking the Gold Glider being challenging. That is not a challenge at all. It's something you're going to unlock eventually whether you like it or not when you reach the 10K coin mark.

Anser said:
And I'm sorry, but you're horrendously wrong about unlocking the Gold Glider being challenging. That is not a challenge at all. It's something you're going to unlock eventually whether you like it or not when you reach the 10K coin mark.
I have a total of 150-250 hours on Mario Kart 8. For every session, I got an average of 9 coins per race ((damn those items!)). No Golden Glider.

lmao I gave up a month ago and just started racing for the hell of it

>mk8 worse then smk, mk64, and mkds

hahahaha cant take you seriously, anser.

mkds gets a lot of hate

i mean yeah it was kinda ugly but it had some great courses and overall it was fun

at least imo

also lol at mk8 being the worst of the series

smk through super circuit didn't even have unlockables so...

mkds is my least favourite, but I don't dislike it, in fact I really like it

it just happens that I don't like it as much as wii, 7, or 8

I swear to God people here only hear what they want to hear. Look and think beyond the words you read, guys. It's good for your IQ. I would take Mario Kart 8 over the horrible Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 any day of the week. What I meant by the worst of the series is about how well it stands compared to the others. Super Mario Kart gave birth to the franchise, Mario Kart 64 introduced 4-player races, Mario Kart DS is so far the only game in the series with a Mission Mode (not that good, I know, but at least it offers another feature) and the last game with a decent battle mode. Also I said in my original post that I'm comparing Mario Kart 8 only to the home console games, not the handheld ones. What does Mario Kart 8 have to offer that we haven't had in the past? Absolutely NOTHING. Beautiful graphics? Hell yes, but how does that affect gameplay? Antigravity is barely noticeable. It's all about the flavor the game leaves after you've played it. Even the horrible Mario Kart 64 made me go back to it sometimes years after I got it. I was addicted to Double Dash (hell, I still, to this day, play it from time to time). Mario Kart Wii had some of the best tracks, it introduced wheelies, 12 players in the same race, etc.

... Oh wait yes, it does give us the worst roster of the series. My bad.

Besides guys, remember this is MY opinion. It's not a fact. You may think that like Mario Kart Wii, 8 also introduced great tracks. I don't. I find them all pretty dull and ridiculously easy. You may think it has a great soundtrack. I don't. I think all the songs are generic and forgettable. You may think it has a great roster. I don't. I hate the Koopalings and I'd rather pretend that Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina never existed. These are MY reasons to think that Mario Kart 8 is the worst (in the explicit way I mentioned above) and the weakest entry in the series, but that doesn't mean you guys also have to think like that. I never even said it's a bad game to start with.

the only things smk and mk64 was horrible bland ass titles

it doesnt really matter if they introduced something new if the games themselves suck to begin with

something new doesnt mean its "good"

how about you think about that before insulting someones IQ, kid.

and maybe you should think that the replies here are others peoples opinions as well?

talk about a hypocrite.

Zae Eildus said:
the only things smk and mk64 was horrible bland ass titles

it doesnt really matter if they introduced something new if the games themselves suck to begin with

something new doesnt mean its "good"

how about you think about that before insulting someones IQ, kid.

and maybe you should think that the replies here are others peoples opinions as well?

talk about a hypocrite.

Again, it is an opinion. I do appreciate when titles introduce new things because they keep the game fresh.

I never insulted any of you or your IQs to start with. Read the sentence again if you think you're intelligent enough to call others hypocrites when the word itself is completely out of context here. Did I ever say otherwise? I've never said anything about anyone's opinion here, as I am totally aware they are just that, OPINIONS, and they are as valid as mine is. I completely respect them even if they don't agree with me. Think twice next time you want to disrespect someone.

So the yoshi bike is cool.

It looks like Yoshi. It's arms do things while you drive and it looks adorable.

Again, it is an opinion. I do appreciate when titles introduce new things because they keep the game fresh.

I never insulted any of you or your IQs to start with. Read the sentence again if you think you're intelligent enough to call others hypocrites when the word itself is completely out of context here. Did I ever say otherwise? I've never said anything about anyone's opinion here, as I am totally aware they are just that, OPINIONS, and they are as valid as mine is. I completely respect them even if they don't agree with me. Think twice next time you want to disrespect someone.

and here we have this

Anser said:
I swear to God people here only hear what they want to hear. Look and think beyond the words you read, guys. It's good for your IQ.

because telling people what to do for their IQ sure isnt insulting ones intelligence.

but hey whatever, im not very smart, and i wasnt being disrespectful whatsoever, but i wont stop you if you want make that assumption.

But i still think you're a hypocrite.

yeah okay, so if a game sucks but somehow introduces something new you count it as good?

Brawl introduced tripping, which was new, did everyone like that?

dont make much sense to me.

Regardless though, that is indeed your opinion, so ill leave it at that.

EDIT: eh im already bored with this so ill drop it.

Maki Nishikino said:

It sounds cool, too bad I haven't unlocked it yet X(

Toy Chica said:
Speaking of Yoshi, did you see Totaka's Song in MK8?

also those spectator yoshis are really big wow
oh this is neat

GBAToad said:
Maki Nishikino said:

It sounds cool, too bad I haven't unlocked it yet X(
The Yoshi Bike was the one customization I actually wanted as soon as possible.

It was the last possible customization I could unlock by random ;_;

Zae Eildus said:

and here we have this

Anser said:
I swear to God people here only hear what they want to hear. Look and think beyond the words you read, guys. It's good for your IQ.

because telling people what to do for their IQ sure isnt insulting ones intelligence.

but hey whatever, im not very smart, and i wasnt being disrespectful whatsoever, but i wont stop you if you want make that assumption.

But i still think you're a hypocrite.

yeah okay, so if a game sucks but somehow introduces something new you count it as good?

Brawl introduced tripping, which was new, did everyone like that?

dont make much sense to me.

Regardless though, that is indeed your opinion, so ill leave it at that.

EDIT: eh im already bored with this so ill drop it.

Take it how you want. I don't see how that sentence is disrespectful but whatever. If you or anyone felt offended by it please accept my apologies. It wasn't my intention. Don't worry about that; we're even. I think you're a hypocrite too and don't make a single bit of sense in your words. I'm already bored of this too so I'll just leave it at that.

of course i didn't hear that song i have to drive as far away from those ear assault things before they can do any damage to me and my sanity

Nysic said:
mkds gets a lot of hate

i mean yeah it was kinda ugly but it had some great courses and overall it was fun

at least imo

also lol at mk8 being the worst of the series

smk through super circuit didn't even have unlockables so...
The snaking makes my dislike for it justified.

Mario Kart DS DOES have a neat battle mode, and, in fact, it made single player battle mode a thing.

@Anser
Mario Kart is one of those series that doesn't need as often new things to keep it fresh compared to Mario platformers. I mean, it still needs new things, but it doesn't get as stale quickly because these games thrive on replay value, so more content is preferred over actual new things. That's what I'm guessing, but nobody should go around criticizing Smash Bros. for keeping its general mechanics the same, that's fucking stupid. The same goes for Mario Kart.

It's a really case-by-case basis because Mario Party loves to have some changes to it that doesn't dump its entire structure like Mario Party 9 did, but I hope people see my point.

P.S. You don't have an IQ. You have an IQ score on a single or few test(s) you've done on the past though.

... Oh wait yes, it does give us the worst roster of the series. My bad.
Super Mario Kart goes for the worst roster in the series unless you judge by its technological and its historical context.

I just don't think Nintendo care about battle mode anymore. It's alaways been an afterthought but it's feeling like more and more of one for every installment after mkds.

Battle mode isn't really the main priority anyway, as it's not like you can unlock anything from it.

Back