Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Favourite New: Bone-Dry Dunes, Dolphin Shoals, Shy Guy Falls
Favourite Retro: GCN Sherbet Land, Wii Grumble Volcano, DS Cheep Cheep Beach

Least Fav. New: Sunshine Airport, Bowser's Castle, Water Park
Least Fav. Retro: 3DS Music Park, N64 Toad's Turnpike, N64 Rainbow Road

I like the N64 game and tracks, but they felt pretty lame. Music Park was literally no different than its previous version. Least favourite new ones were just pretty boring, they look nice but I didn't enjoy racing on them. Shy Guy Falls was the first level I though 'woah' on while Dolphin Shoals + Bone-Dry Dunes are both challenging and tracks that really stood apart from the others. Favourite retros are just my favourites to race on, I do like what they did with Sherbet Land though. Turned the track I hated the most in DD into one of the tracks I enjoyed the most.

For me -

Favorite New: Shy Guy Falls, Dolphin Shoals, Sunshine Airport, Electrodome, Mount Wario
Favorite Retro: Donut Plains 3, Wario Stadium, Tick-Tock Clock, Yoshi Valley

Least Fav. New: Twisted Mansion, Bone-Dry Dunes, and Rainbow Road, maybe, but I really don't hate any of them.
Least Fav. Retro: Sherbet Land, and maybe Dry Dry Desert.

Mount Wario is easily my favourite course out of any Mario Kart. The other Nitro courses are meh (except for cloudtop cruise maybe).

Mount Wario is my favorite Nitro course too. The others are just boring.

N64 Yoshi Valley and DS Tick Tock Clock are my favorite Retro courses in this game.

Fav Nitro: Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals, Twisted Mansion, Bowser's Castle
Least Fav Nitro: Bone Dry Dunes, Sweet Sweet Canyon

Fav Retro: DS Wario Stadium, Entire Lightning Cup
Least Fav Retro: GCN Dry Dry Desert, 3DS Music Park

Favorite new track: Bowser's Castle (number one for me), Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals, Electrodrome
Hated new track: Shy Guy Falls (not really hated, just forgettable for me), Bone-Dry Dunes

Favorite old track: Donut Plains 3, GBA Mario Circuit, Royal Raceway, Piranha Plant Slide, Music Park, DK Jungle
Hated old track: Dry Dry Desert, Moo Moo Meadows

I also played quite a bit of battle mode and my final verdict on it is that it's severely underrated. Though I enjoyed the arenas style combat more, I love this battle mode. Chasing down opponents is fun (especially Wario).

Donut Plains 3 is pretty much the only SNES remake I've ever liked. Also, GBA Mario Circuit is a surprisingly fun track.

Am I the only one who really likes Grumble Volcano, even though it didn't change much?

Nysic said:
Am I the only one who really likes Grumble Volcano, even though it didn't change much?
Mio Akiyama said:
Favourite Retro: GCN Sherbet Land, Wii Grumble Volcano, DS Cheep Cheep Beach
Yes and you should feel very unique about this fact.

It's smooth and all, but when your item luck is rotten, boy, it's rotten.

The coin item (and its frequency) is a horrible idea.

My favorite tracks include Mount Wario, Bowser Castle, Rainbow Road [Wii U], Toad's Turnpike, Electrodrome, and Cloudtop Cruise. My least favorites are Thwomp Ruins (just meh), Grumble Volcano (music is lame), and Cheep Cheep Beach (music is lame).

Battle Mode is severely underrated, IMO. It might be less effort, but it's still fun. It's better to play it with more people because hunting for opponents can be a chore.

My biggest gripe, aside from the Coin, is that the map is in the Gamepad. I'm player 2; I don't use the Gamepad, so it's really hard to hunt particular characters in Battle Mode, check your progress during a race, and other things. Not to mention, it's unfair, but my sister cooperates 99% of the time, but I can imagine it.

There's an option to change from motion controls to classic controls if using a Wii Remote (sideways)

Motion Controls Classic Controls
Steer Tilt Wii Remote
16px-Wiimote_Dpad.png

Accelerate (2) (2)
Brake/Reverse (1) (1)
Drift (B),(1) (1)
Trick (B), Flick Wii Remote (1), Flick Wii Remote
Look Behind (A) (A)
Item
16px-Wiimote_Dpad.png
(B)

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:

I agree. I lose too many races because I get a coin instead of something to protect me.

Nysic said:
Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:

I agree. I lose too many races because I get a coin instead of something to protect me.

All the more reason to not be neglecting acceleration this time around. Speed may be important, but all that speed will be a waste if you can't even recover quickly. But I guess there will always be incidents that are out of our hands.

keep trying until it lets you in.

take a break and then repeat.

That's all I've been doing about it.

Every time I watch a video of the Lightning Cup on YouTube, Grumble Volcano is always the one with the crappy audio. I assume Nintendo is doing it but why? It isn't with any other track and when I watch MKW's Grumble Volcano, it doesn't get edited out. I don't recall it happening with other tracks, only Grumble Volcano.

OK yesterday I finally got all Gold in all cups on all difficulties including Mirror. Took finding a few good combos to do. But anyway, this game is like the Green Shells' revenge on harder difficulties. Remember all those times you got a green shell and you were like "Aw come on, this is useless. I wanted a Red Shell!" as a kid? Well Mario Kart 8 will make you fear a random green shell more then the dreaded blue shell. I'm serious.

Anyway my favorite track in the game will be no surprise. But it's the remade N64 Rainbow Road. I just love how while it's based on the N64 Rainbow Road mainly. Which I love unconditionally for that reason anyway. It's also a bit of a conglomerate of past Rainbow Roads. There's quite a few things borrowed from Previous Rainbow Roads. that really make it seem like THE Rainbow Road. Hard to exactly say what my favorite new track is. But it might be Electrodome. The rave party kind of thing is hilarious. And I love all the techno aesthetics of the course and everything.

As for my least favorite. That's actually hard to say. I think this is really the first time in a longtime where I like pretty much every course in some way. If you put a gun to my head to say one however. It'd have to be Dolphin Shoals. But I think that's only because I had the most terrible experiences on 150cc of Star Cup on that track due to me screwing up the tube bubble part of the course. Otherwise, I still enjoy the aesthetics of the course regardless. I don't think there's a retro track that I dislike that much myself. They really did all they could to make these courses seem new again, and did wonderful with most of the remixes.

tumblr_n6pt3etT651tsp14vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6pt3etT651tsp14vo2_500.png

The Koopa from Koopa Troopa Beach can be seen briefly in Sunshine Airport

DLC TRACKS CONFIRMED

Though that would be cool if they did leave hints like that.

Back