Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

so am i the only one who doesn't like toad's turnpike

(mushroom city is so much better how come we haven't gotten that as a retro track yet)

I like all the N64 Retro Courses xP (But then again there's not any N64 track I hate originally. So I'm a bit biased there)

Magikrazy said:
Now they have gone through every single Mario Kart 64 track except for my favorite one :(
They've actually done all of them now.

MnSG said:
Yui Hirasawa said:
Magikrazy said:
Now they have gone through every single Mario Kart 64 track except for my favorite one :(
They've actually done all of them now.

N64 Wario Stadium hasn't been done yet.
I hope it doesn't because it's horrendous.

Me and my brother played this together yestoday and I played a bit on my own today and I have to say, this game is much better than Mario Kart 7 which I found to be good but flawed in so many areas.

I like the new anti-gravity feature, I saw as a lazy idea at first, but it changed up things a bit and it was used to most of it's potential. The only thing missing was it never got used for loops or corkscrews but it's most likey we'll be seeing it again in the next game so there alaways another time but I liked it neverless.

The roster is eh, there's some dumb choices which made me go WTF. If you thought Metal Mario and Baby Daisy were both bad enough, they had to add in Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina. And then they were the Koopalings, which were nice but took a little too much space that could of been used for Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo, Wigglier etc. Everything else is decent though and I 'mgald they given Honey Queen the boot.

The tracks are the best thing about this game though. They were no really boring generic courses this time round but courses that I felt had effort but into them. My favorites were Sky Guy Falls, Mount Wario, Couldtop Cruise and the new Bowser's Castle. The new rainbow road was a disappointment but the N64 makes up for it. The rest the retro tracks felt like they were old but new - which is what they should be. I really liked them all. (expect Music Park which has nothing new added)

Online works well, Nintendo are starting to catch up with other companies with their online and are aren't using as much outdated features. There's no lag at all (Mario Kart 7 was full of lag) and you can get playing very quickly, there's a lot less much waiting this time round. Battle Mode is decent but it would be amazing if was on arenas not courses. Overall I feel like this is something I will be coming back to all the time when I'm board. Keep it up because you still need more titles like this to sell you Wii U's.

NSY said:
expect Music Park which has nothing new added
Don't forget about Grumble Volcano, which had nothing new added (except the glider panels, but they were all optional and they don't really count). They could of made the cave section antigravity. For Music Park, I can't see any anti-gravity, except maybe the two xylophones.
We're sure not adding any underwater to either of the courses either. Music Park would make no sense, since it's floating. If you try to swim through lava in Grumble Volcano, you're bound to burn your fucking face off. But with that SMS glitch, anything is possible, I guess.

The worst thing about this game is the blocking off of Peach's castle in Royal Raceway. I also dislike the cheering fans everywhere.

No-Face said:
so am i the only one who doesn't like toad's turnpike

(mushroom city is so much better how come we haven't gotten that as a retro track yet)
Mio Akiyama said:
Least Fav. Retro: 3DS Music Park, N64 Toad's Turnpike, N64 Rainbow Road
I don't understand why people say things like 'am I the only one' because obviously you aren't going to be the only one out of all the people playing the game.
Misty said:
The worst thing about this game is the blocking off of Peach's castle in Royal Raceway. I also dislike the cheering fans everywhere.
You mean that feature of royal raceway that was fun for 5 minutes when I was 7 years old? I'm not going to miss that much.

One thing I really love about the N64 Rainbow Road in this is that it's like the closing course. You have just one huge lap that is split into three, and you got the triumphant music playing as you're going, and it feels like the last race of the game. It's like "this track is a treat for you to just go and enjoy! No having to worry too much about anything and not really any threats or dangers to worry about. Enjoy the scenery!"

Plus, it's so much more relaxing when you got to it after racing on Piranha Plant Slide and Rumble Volcano, both of which can be a pain in the neck.

I feel like most of the selected retro courses aside from the ones that are actually from 64 actually were originally referencing Mario Kart 64 to begin with. In that a large chunk share the same names of other courses from 64 and others are a little more complicated:

Wario Stadium & Sherbet Land: Self explanatory
Dry Dry Desert: Japanese name for Kalimari Desert
Moo Moo Meadows & DK Jungle: Names are close enough
Cheep Cheep Beach: Original Beta was called Nokonoko Beach, lit. Koopa Troopa Beach
Tick-Tock Clock: Not specifically Mario Kart 64 but still originates from the Nintendo 64 anyway.

So including the 4 that are straight from 64 that's 11 out of 16 retro tracks, the only thing I can make out of this is that the ReUmagined N64 remakes could be a thing and it's easier to create assets for multiple games for the one system, for example the textures in Royal Raceway and Tick-Tock Clock could easily be reused in a supposed Super Mario 64 remake. Other than that it's only some neat thing I've noticed with the retro track selection and the dev team wanted to pay tribute to Mario Kart 64.

Yui Hirasawa said:
So friends and I found a glitch while playing online.
I'm so sorry if it seems like I wasn't paying attention, but what was the glitch?
EDIT: Never mind. I checked my Youtube history and found the title.

Cirdec said:
Yui Hirasawa said:
Nysic said:
Cecil Terwilliger said:
Too Bad. Waluigi Time. said:
Interesting "no driver" glitch:
*video*
Apologies if this is old.

invisible mario confirmed

It's Metal Mario, according to the kart.

*gasp*

Vanish Metal Mario
Collect the caps

You missed the wing one.
The wing one wasn't in that mission

Cirdec said:
Yui Hirasawa said:
Nysic said:
Cecil Terwilliger said:
Interesting "no driver" glitch:
*video*
Apologies if this is old.

invisible mario confirmed

It's Metal Mario, according to the kart.

*gasp*

Vanish Metal Mario
Collect the caps

You missed the wing one.
The wing one wasn't in that mission
Also wasn't in the video

Back